Weißenburg in Bayern Things to Do

• iaint's Profile Photo

Roman baths

by iaint Written Apr 27, 2011

lots of light

On the outskirts of town lies a museum housing the remains of a Roman bath complex. This was open on Easter Sunday.

I’m glad, because it was discovered by my guides‘ late father and they’re rightly proud of it. He was a civil engineer and it was uncovered during one of his projects. They think he was also involved in the construction of the attractive museum building.

It is well worth a visit if you have 30-45 minutes to spare.

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits

• iaint's Profile Photo

Altmühltherme

by iaint Written Jun 14, 2011

This is a thermal bath/swimming pool complex in the centre of Treuchtlingen, just a few kilometres down the road from Weißenburg.

The warm water is from a natural thermal spring discovered when the local brewery sank a well to obtain fresh water. A lot of money has been invested recently with a view to obtaining “Bad” status. I’m reliably informed that this may happen soon. So, you know it is a Bad in all but name.

It has a normal swimming pool with waves, slides and so on, so the kids can entertain themselves while the parents have the health treatment.
    We went to the thermal bath - an indoor section with various jets and bubbles to stimulate and the same outdoors, but larger. Like a gigantic jacuzzi. They have 2 kinds of steam room as well. I’m told they have saunas too, but we didn’t try that.

All very relaxing and enjoyable. We were there in June, but I guess the outdoor pool must be a lot of fun in midwinter! Warm water and very cold air...

I think it cost us about €3.50 per adult for 3 hours. I’m a bit vague because we had a long discussion at the ticket desk about the best “deal” with the receptionist believing we were a family (man, woman, 2 teenage girls) when in act we weren’t!

Anyway, I think the price depends on how long you spend in the spa area - you get checked in & out electronically - and which bits you want to use.

• Spa and Resort

Townhall

by tessy Updated Apr 4, 2011

townhall

When walking around the townhall you'll see how nice it looks from the side. I like the roof so much!

Spitaltor

by tessy Updated Feb 8, 2004

Spitaltor

In former times, it was the southern border of Weissenburg. Later it was a city gate and as well the tower of a church.

Schranne

by tessy Written Feb 8, 2004

Schranne

The tower is still old, the building is rather new. The Schranne was used as a place where the corn and flour was sold.

Instant Answers: Weißenburg in Bayern

Comments

Weißenburg in Bayern Travel Guide

Weißenburg in Bayern Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Weißenburg in Bayern things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Weißenburg in Bayern sightseeing.

View all Weißenburg in Bayern hotels