Würzburg Favorites

1950s houses in market square
    1950s houses in the old town
    by Kathrin_E
    Some leftovers of the past

Best Rated Favorites in Würzburg

• chodearm's Profile Photo

German Engineering

by chodearm Updated Oct 19, 2004

crane and ivy wall

Favorite thing: Its a known fact that German Engineering is the utmost when it comes to quality. Beyond the fact that the machinery will hold up to the test of time, aesthetic value is still topping the list of design importance. Take for example this Crane, these black circles are totally unnecessary to function but yet left intact for the final product purely for visual stimulation. It works well!

• Castles and Palaces

• chodearm's Profile Photo

People

by chodearm Updated Nov 9, 2004

ice cream on Marienbrucke

Favorite thing: Momma told me to never stare. As a kid I had a tendancy to do so, differences grabbed and held onto all my attention. I was attracted to differences and picked apart things common and different. At two years old, words were gaining meanings, I pointed at a rather round man and said, "FAT". Embarassing the parents I just giggled with a smile scattering across my face one couldn't get angered at. My people staring hasn't quelled all that much, these days I still stare, I still glimpse, only now I solidify the stare with film.
    This man had a perculiar look as he gorged the Ice Cream cone. I took him home in the 2-D.

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo

Marienfestung

by MEdelmann Updated Jun 18, 2003

Marienfestung

Favorite thing: The Marienfestung (Mary Fortress) stands high above the town. It is a great castle. A pity that I didn?t go up ... I have to do this next time.

Please feel free and enlarge the picture to see more details of it ......

Fondest memory: Please visit the pages of other VT-members to see more of this wonderful castle!

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo

A great church

by MEdelmann Updated Jun 18, 2003

church

Favorite thing: Würzburg is a very unique and great baroque town located in the northern part of Bavaria.

Fondest memory: Due to heavy bombings of the allied armies in World War II., W?rzburg was heavily destroyed. But there are still some wonderful buildings in the old town centre, like this beautiful church. Just go around and look ... and don't forget your camera ...

:-))

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

World War II Destruction: March 16, 1945

by Kathrin_E Written Jun 10, 2011

Dom in 1945

Favorite thing: Neither "favourite thing" nor "fondest memory"... wish VT got rid of those headlines!

Once upon a time Würzburg’s centre was one of the most beautiful baroque towns in Central Europe. It has been smashed to pieces within 20 minutes during the air raid of March 16, 1945 – 7 weeks before the end of World War II. 90% of the inner town were destroyed.

A monument next to the Old Crane recalls and honours the efforts to clear the rubble after the end of the war. It consists of a steel lorry on rails, the kind that was used by the “rubble trains” which transported the rubble to the river bank where it was loaded on ships and transported away.

The rebuilding after the war was done in a conservative way, sticking to the old structures and the pre-war ground plan of the town. The important historical monuments were repaired or reconstructed, some in their original shapes, some with modern additions. The churches, for example, tell their history: Facades are reconstructed but interior and furniture reveal modern elements.

A closer look at what seem to be baroque houses shows details that betray the post-war replicas: simplified facades, plain rectangular windows, an extra floor squeezed in under the roof, and so on.

The houses in between, however, are all post-war. Some interesting examples of 1950’s architecture can be found among them, like the ensemble of Mozartschule (which is currently empty and in high danger of being demolished to make room for another faceless shopping mall).

Despite all that the city has regained a pleasant appearance. This is not one of those many ugly post-war cities with nothing but functionalist concrete boxes.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Saint Kilian

by Kathrin_E Written Jun 14, 2011

The Riemenschneider figures in Neum��nster

Favorite thing: Kilian, the Apostle of Franconia, brought the Christian religion to the Main valley in the 7th century. He was an Irish monk who travelled with some companions to work as missionaries in pagan Germany. He converted and baptized the Franconian Duke, but the Duke’s wife became his worst enemy. Together with his companions Kolonat and Totnan, Kilian was slain by hired killers in his chapel during prayer.

The location of their martyrdom is said to be the spot where Neumünster church is now standing. The crypt of the church holds the shrine with the mortal remains of the three martyrs. Kilian, the first Bishop of Würzburg, is the most worshipped local saint, his holiday is July 8. The first name is still common here. At university in Marburg I met a guy my age who was named Kilian – guess where he was from.

Kilian is omnipresent in Würzburg. Statues of the saint can be found in many places. The most famous one is in the middle of the old bridge: Kilian in a bishop’s ornate, holding the golden sword, and his two companions by his side. The fortress Marienberg has a statue in the main gate, too. A modern Kilian statue is overlooking the city from Schlossberg vineyard.

Fondest memory: The most beautiful images of Kilian, Kolonat and Totnan, though, are the three woodcarved sculptures by Tilman Riemenschneider in Neumünster church (now copies).

• Religious Travel

• zrim's Profile Photo

City of Churches

by zrim Written Feb 25, 2003

Everywhere Steeples

Favorite thing: Würzburg was ruled by the iron-fisted Prince-Bishops. These guys may have been tough, but they were also bishops, therefore, they demanded ample houses of worship. I found the cathedral and the other churches to be amazing places: from the far flung vaulted ceilings in the cathedral, to the baroque design of the Neumunster Church, to the creepy relics housed in subterranean recesses, to the delightful Marienkirche within the castle walls. Go see them all.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Climb the hill to see Marienberg Castle

by zrim Written Feb 25, 2003

Who Goes There?

Favorite thing: The old fortress guarding Würzburg is in excellant repair and worth an afternoon's visit. For those with tired legs, the castle is accessible by auto or bus. However, I found the walk up the hill through the vineyards past the old stone statues to be half the fun.

• Henkster's Profile Photo

Beautiful Residenz

by Henkster Updated Mar 19, 2003

The W��rzburg Residenz in the winter

Favorite thing: The Residenz in Würzburg is one of Germany's most impressive palaces. Surrounded by a beautiful garden. Something you may not expect in a small town like Würzburg, but this palace can keep up with the big ones in Europe.
    The highlight of any visit to this town.

• kawanua's Profile Photo

English Radio Station

by kawanua Written Mar 8, 2008

Favorite thing: If you want to listen to an English-language broadcast on the radio (FM), programming from the US military radio can be found on 104.9 Mhz. It carries various programmings from US, both liberal & conservative views.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

• smoox's Profile Photo

smoox's General Tip

by smoox Written Sep 2, 2002

Fondest memory: Not so fond.... Wuerzburg got through the Second World War pretty well since it had been designated a hospital town. Well - on March 16, 1945, it happened. The town was practically wiped off this planet, with over 90% of its houses destroyed. The inner town was more destroyed than Dresden was. The gold treasure in the catacombs beneath the Dom melted because of the heat and only a big lump of gold could be recovered.....
    BUT they have rebuilt the town. And not so badly. There are still many rather ugly buildings which had been constructed in a hurry, but the goodies have been restored carefully. - By the way: every year on March 16th, all the church bells in town ring in commemoration of the bombing.

• Arual's Profile Photo

Have time to explore. This...

by Arual Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Have time to explore. This town is beautiful. There is alot to see and do. Take a map, even a tour. Tours are nice for the history facts, but be sure to do your own things while here. If shoppings your thing, they have a nice shopping area. H&M anyone? Also McDondalds and other american food is easy access if your not in the mood for German. I recomend asking a local for the best place in town to eat. If your somewhere new, experiance it.

Fondest memory: My school had a guided tour for us, than time for us to explore on our own. My fondest memory is running around the city with my friend from Brazil. Our German was terrible, and she spoke no english, and I speak zero portugese. So we had fun! We lost our map, and got lost but found so many cool places that rest of the group didnt. We met so many new people, and saw so many things. I just miss it all!

• Mandy23's Profile Photo

Marienkapelle

by Mandy23 Updated Feb 19, 2003

Favorite thing: Marienkapelle is a late Gothic chapel completed about 1481 and was our next stop while strolling through the town. It's located at the market place. It has rich ornamental sculptures, tombstones of Franconian knights and townsmen ...

• Mandy23's Profile Photo

Alte Mainbrücke

by Mandy23 Updated Feb 19, 2003

Favorite thing: After having a look at the Marienkappelle, it were just a few metres to the Alte Mainbrücke (Old Bridge) which is adorned with the well-known statues of saints. You can see the Fortress from here.

• Angel-1983's Profile Photo

Everyone should absolutely go...

by Angel-1983 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Everyone should absolutely go to the Capitol, like I wrote at the start:
    Hi! My name is Anja. I live in a small town near Würzburg/Germany. I go there to school every day. There's nothing more usuall to me than doing that. I go there to buy my clothes at 'Orsay' (A girls paradise by the way) and go to the 'Capitol' which is some miles ahead in the next town. Its the club where all American Soldiers go to - and where german girls look for them ;) Since December 1, 2001 I'm engaged to an American, so I'll move to the States in May 2003. I think I will miss my Würzburg then. And maybe it will become less usuall to go there....

Fondest memory: Memories of Wüzburg? Hell, there are a lot. I mean I'm 18 now and my parents took me to this town since I was 1 month old. Would take almost a lifetime to tell all my memories. Like I meet my fiancee there, or I got all my X-Mas gifts from there when I was a kid... Don't know. Just ask for more information. I'll answer for sure, cause I really know that town. Maybe better than myself! ;)

Instant Answers: Würzburg

Comments

Würzburg Favorites

Reviews and photos of Würzburg favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Würzburg sightseeing.