Bremen Restaurants

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Leib und Seele: Great setting

by pieter_jan_v Updated Aug 3, 2013

Leib und Seele businesscard

Schröter's Leib und Seele is a small but stretching konditorei, bistro and restaurant in the ever busy Schnoor cityblock of Bremen's Old Town (Altstadt).

Favorite Dish: Just drop by for a drink and a piece of delicious cake (Torte).

Make a reservation if you want to have dinner.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Updated May 28, 2013

Ratskeller

Many a Rathaus in Germany has what is known as a Ratskeller in its basement. This is where all the wine grown in the region was stored by law. The Ratskeller in Bremen is over 600 years old and today has the dual function of wine bar and restaurant. It is beautifully designed with a host of vaulted ceilings giving it a truly regal appearance. Interesting to note as well that the oldest wine barrel in Germany which came from the vineyards of Ruedesheim is still housed there.
    Only German wines are kept in the Ratskeller.

Favorite Dish: I chose the Bremer Potato and Bacon Soup which was delicious and I followed up with a Breaded Pork Cutlet which came with a cream and mushroom sauce with chips and salad. Add to this a lovely glass of my favourite German red wine (Dornfelder) and I was very happy indeed.

Hours: 11.00am to midnight (7 days).

• Wine Tasting

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo

Restaurant Classico: Classico!

by Toshioohsako Written Jan 14, 2013

The food is very good. Mainly Italian. It can compete Italian restaurants in Italy (my opinion).
    Service is good and welcoming

Classico is also a well-known good hotel

Favorite Dish: salad, curie dish, pasta, pork dish

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Bratwurstglöck'l Stockinger + Sohn: Bratwurstglöck'l Stockinger + Sohn

by mvtouring Written Dec 21, 2012

Quality grilled sausages served at a pavilion in the city centre next to the town hall. Just the right thing when u are feeling a little bit peckish. Maybe I should mention that I love german sausages.

Café Sand: Take the ferry and enjoy

by christine.j Updated Aug 28, 2012
    Taking the ferry

Café Sand is on an island in the Weser and there is no bridge.
    So to get there we needed to take a ferry. It goes back and forth all day in summer. The ferry has to watch out for the big barges on the river, but I got the feeling the captain also likes to play with its ferry by going right and left, or round about. I suppose it gets boring if you have to go straight to and from the café all day, so why not bring some action in the crossing?

We paid 2,30 per person for a return ticket.

The café's name fits, there is a sandy beach where children were playing, both on the beach and in the water. We sat outside and had a nice view on the river and the ferry. It was always busy, lots of people had their bikes on the ferry and started a bike tour along the river.
    I had another northern specialty, red fruit jelly with custard and liked it.

Ratskeller: 600 years of good food

by christine.j Written Aug 28, 2012

There are many restaurants in Germany called the Ratskeller, the cellar next to the city council. That's where the local councilmen ( less often women) liked to go for a good meal after a session.
    And since they were the ones who ruled the city, they didn't get bad food. This tradition has kept until today. All the Ratskeller I have eaten in serve good, local food. Since the councilmen/women usually were not among the poor in their city, these restaurants are also not among the very cheap ones.

The one in Bremen is more than 600 years old and famous for its long wine list.When we were there many years ago, they only served one red and one white wine by the glass. Luckily this has changed, now there are several wines from which you can order one glass only.

It's still not a cheap restaurant, but they offer a very good lunch each day for just 6,90 Euro. I had subscribed to their newsletter so I knew in advance what the lunch menu would be. When we went we chose the fish and had a glass of wine with it, it was very good. The restaurant was packed, clearly we were not the only people who knew about their lunch specials.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Waldbühne: Hiddenin a corner of the park

by christine.j Written Aug 28, 2012

We had been walking in the beautiful Bürgerpark for some time and got hungry. After we had read the menues of two other restaurants in the Bürgerpark and hadn't liked them, we wanted to have one last look at the Waldbühne before going back to the hotel.

The Waldbühne was exactly what we had been looking for, a nice beergarden, a friendly waitress and good food. I had the Matjes again, my husband had fried eggs and potatoes, nothing fancy but very good when cooked well. It may be my imagination, but I think fish tastes better when I'm close to the sea.

Hafenwirt: Next to the whalebones

by christine.j Written Aug 28, 2012

After our stroll along the Weser in Vegesack we were hungry, but this was not the city centre of Bremen where restaurants are open throughout the day. In Vegesack most of them were closed.

We found the Hafenwirt, went in and asked if they still serve food even though it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner. Luckily this was no problem.

Matjes season had just started ( young herring ) and I had them with potatoes and an Alster. Alster in Bremen is what we in the south call Radler, beer and lemonade mixed together. It was a very good meal and not expensive.

• socalbilly's Profile Photo

Imbiss Tanakopoulous: Classic German Imbiss !!

by socalbilly Updated Dec 24, 2011

Anyone travelling to , or spending any time in Bremen HAS to try the food at "The Imbiss" .... over 50 years in family hands, the most wonderful traditional foods (Schnitzel, Krakauer and bratwurst,"original" Hamburgers, Pommes and roasted chicken to die for and the best home made potato salad there is, bar none !!), and all at amazingly reasonable prices. Located in the working class section of Walle, it also gives the visitor a chance to see and experience the local atmosphere of this charming city, and only minutes from the tourist traps and inflated prices.
    Four generations of locals can't be wrong :).............

Favorite Dish: I love the Jaegerschnitzel and "hausmacher" potato salad..... huge portion and the price can't be beat... but the roasted chicken comes in a darn close second with a side of fresh Pommes..

• Seniors

• Il Mio: Don't ask for tea

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Il Mio

I just had a short break in here - didn't stop for food as I had already eaten - I just needed somewhere to take a breather! So... as it was late afternoon and I hadn't had tea all day, that's what I ordered. Check the website for more menu details.

It's a Bistro/cocktail bar/restaurant and has got a trendy funky feel to it with big comfy black leather armchairs and sofas, good low lighting and decor and also they have a happy hour from 7pm onwards. Nice friendly waiting staff too.

Favorite Dish: Not the tea - doesn't matter how long I left it in the cup.. or how hard I squeezed that tea bag.. it still looked like hot milk.

• Trains

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Friesenhof

by himalia11 Written Apr 30, 2010

Inside the restaurant

The Friesenhof is an interesting restaurant - when you come in it looks like a modern bright restaurant and when you go deeper inside it's getting more rustic with half-timbered works, but all with maritime decoration. The food is also maritime, the Friesenhof is known for its fish dishes. But you also get all kind of other things and we all enjoyed the food!

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Ratskeller: Dining in an old wine cellar

by himalia11 Updated Apr 30, 2010

One of the wine barrels

The Ratskeller restaurant is found in the cellar of the town hall and used to be a wine-cellar. And it still looks like one, with all the nice looking wine barrels! It's a nice place for a dinner, and if you want to have some more privacy you can take one of the booths. We were a large group and did not fit into a such booth, but we peaked into them and I could very well imagine to have romatic dinner there... The food was well, too, and they offere a good choice of German dishes. And of course many different wines! I only was disturbed by a persistent seller of roses, I was wondering that he was not kicked out!

• Wine Tasting

Feldmann's bierhaus: Beergarden

by bonio Updated Oct 1, 2009

A warm late summer evening and a visit to the beergarden next to the river, Haake - Beck beer and a tasty flammkuchen, lovely way to pass the time.
    Inside looks pretty good too, I'm sure that I would enjoy a visit there as well.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Störtebeker: Ship museum too?

by bonio Written Sep 30, 2009
    borrowed photo

Almost a museum to shipping inside, pictures and memorabilia pretty much everywhere.
    Here for lunch just before flying home so, driving later and unable to try the beers on offer. Food very good, Fried eggs and fried potatoes for Mrs B, a favourite, and look out for the daily specials, mine a very good turkey and rice dish.
    Enjoyed our short visit.

Borgfelder Landhaus: Worth the short journey

by bonio Written Sep 30, 2009

In the suburb of Borgfeld, easy to get to though.
    Attracted, as ever, by a brewpub and this is a really good one. Brewing area inside, just behind the bar with comfortable seating inside and out, outside for us on a warm lunchtime.
    Enjoyed the beer and the menu, good choice - even for vegetarian Mrs B! and certainly very happy with our food, very tasty and well cooked.
    A memorable visit and looking forward to a return oneday, there is a hotel here too, maybe we'll stay here next time?

Instant Answers: Bremen

Comments

Bremen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bremen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bremen sightseeing.