The Schnoor is the oldest and the most interesting district of the Free Hanseatic town Bremen. The line of the houses and very rising Sankt Johannis church in between these form a part of alive past. It is an old Hanseatic Bremen which has disappeared everywhere between the department stores and office blocks otherwise.
BTW, the name means line (Schnur), in Low German "Schnoor"
Der Schütting ist das Haus der Bremer Kaufmannschaft, ehemals Gilde- und Kosthaus der Kaufleute, seit 1849 der Sitz der Bremer Handelskammer. An Stelle eines 1444 erworbenen Hauses ließen die Bremer Kaufleute 1537/38 einen Neubau im Stile des Historismus und der Renaissance-Bauten Flanderns errichten. Der Treppengiebel an der Westseite und der 1565 geschaffene Ostgiebel sind noch erhalten.
The Schütting is the house of the merchants of Bremen, formerly guild and food house of the merchants, since 1849 the seat of Bremen Chambers of Commerce.
Instead of one house, which was bought in 1444, merchants in 1537/38 set up a new building in the style of the historicism and the renaissance buildings of Flanders. The stairs gables at the West side and East gables, created in 1565, are still received.
The fountain, to which stairs would go up, is approximately three and a half metre high and has a base of perhaps vier times six metres. All figures are poured of bronze, as a stone base green Andeer granite was used. Figures are represented from Greek and the Roman mythology. To remind Bremen of the port, became selectly the sea divinities.
it is the second-oldes church in Bremen. That chruch follwed the St.-Veits-Kirche, which was built 1041 on that place. Therein to see is one room from that old romanic St.-Veits-Church also today.
On the place of Liebfrauenkirche you find the Marcus fountain, which is from 1909. If you have a wish, shy a money backwards into the fountain, shall work. ;)
Notable are the beautiful old houses at the church, too.
The Bremen Town Musicians, four old animals, a cock, a cat, a dog and a donkey which shall be killed because of their age. ....... so a lot like that the "Bremen Town Musicians" remain there until end of life.
The Brothers Grimm tell their story in a fairy tale.
If you want read that fairy tale, here it is in English Bremen Town Musicians
A bronze statue (two metres) is built in 1953 by Gerhard Marcks at the left side of the Bremen Town Hall. A similar statue is in Bremen's twin town Riga (Latvia) as well as in the Westphalian municipality of Ense-Bremen.
Many people think that a wish is fulfilled if one contains the forelegs of the donkey and wants something. The statue is shiny in this place. The Bremen town musicians are an emblem of the town next to the Roland.
The Roland of Bremen is a Rolandsstatue which is between Bremen city hall and the Schütting on the market place, his look is turned towards the cathedral. It was explained in 2004 together with the Town hall by UNESCO to the world cultural heritage and counts to to the emblems of Bremen.
He has a size of 5.47 m and stands on a pedestal of 60 cm of height.
Legend: The city of Bremen shall remain free and independent after as long as Roland stands and watches over the town. For this reason also a second Rolandstatue shall be hidden in the cellar of the Town Hall, which can be built fast as a substitute if original Roland should fall sometimes.
He is the biggest free-standing sculpture of the German Middle Ages. Who has rubbed his knee is said this one returns to Bremen. However, the fact is indisputable that the Roland is watching as a stony symbol for citizen pride and liberty since 1404 over the independence of the Hanseatic town Bremen.
Bremen's Market Square is regarded as one of the most beautiful in Europe. Its ensemble of historic buildings is unique and consists of the Town Hall, dating from 1405, St Peter's Cathedral, begun in 1042, the "Schütting", Bremen's historic Chamber of Commerce built in 1537, the merchants' houses that date back to the Weser Renaissance era around 1600, and the statue of Roland, the symbol of the city's freedom, erected in 1404. The modern "Haus der Bürgerschaft", Bremen's state parliament building, was built in 1966 and forms a sensitive counterpoint to the rest of the square.
"This street is a synthesis of the arts. It was created as the perfect symbiosis of traditional and Expressionist brick architecture. The project, that took until 1934 to complete, was initiated by the Bremen coffee merchant and patron of the arts, Ludwig Roselius (Kaffee HAG) in 1904, and carried out by the architects, Scotland and Runge and the sculptor Bernhard Hoetger. This is the home of the much-admired Paula Becker-Modersohn exhibition and the Roselius Museum with its collection of items representing the heyday of Hanseatic merchant tradition. And every day at 12 noon, 3 p.m. and 6 p.m., you can hear the chimes in the street. Figures of the most famous ocean voyagers emerge and revolve to the sound of the bells."
Every house has its own name.
Haus des Glockenspiels: In 1934 a carillon was inserted from 30 Meißner porcelain bells between the gables to whose 10 carved and painted colouredly wooden panels move.
Roselius-Haus: oldest house (14th century); Purchased 1902 of Ludwig Roselius as the first house of the street. 1928 as a museum "Roselius house" created with a collection of low German art from the Middle Ages until baroque.
Paula Becker-Modersohn - Haus: The richest collection with paintings of the artist it is the first museum at all, this is dedicated to an artist and shows certainly today the envelop, dedicated to the painter Paula Modersohn-Becker. The "Sieben Faulen Brunnen" of Bernhard Hoetger is in the court of the house.
That website includes virtually tour across Böttcherstrasse.
Official describe: Your journey through foreign lands and continents begins in Bremen, right next to the main station - at the Überseemuseum. Once a collection of exotic items brought back from the colonies, it now invites visitors to make a sensitive approach to overseas cultures, and to encounter the realities of life outside Europe. The exhibits are presented in a fantastic ambience, ranging from Japanese gardens to African village scenes to a comprehensive trip round the world through space and time.
Many of the sights in Bremen are found in the Altstadt (Old Town), an oval area surrounded by the Weser River, on the southwest, and the Stadtgraben, the former moats of the medieval city walls, on the northeast. The oldest part of the Altstadt is the southeast half, starting with the Marktplatz and ending at the Schnoor district
The inner city belt at Wallanlagen is dotted with feats of land - scaped architecture that take visitors by complete surprise. There is a typical Dutch windmill that houses a cafe restaurant with sweeping views of scenic parkland.
This windmill you can find at the Wallanlagen. The site of city´s historic defences that found obsolete by the early 19 th century has been transformed into an inner-city green area. The 200 meter wide park stretches for only a few kilometres from an old moat at Osterdeich Embankment to Stephani Bridge.
At one time inhabited by coopers and barrel makers, the 110 metre pedestrian walkway stretches from market square to the river weser. Bremen´s ´secret high street´ offers a contrasting yet intersting mixture of tradiotional red brick archtecture and more recent expressionist elements. . The alleyway was trasformed between 1923 and 1931 by local merchant Ludwig Roselius ( inventior of decaffeinated coffe ). The gilt Bringer of Light relief over the entrance to market square was forged by artist Berhard Hoetger. In addition to a number of tiny stores, crafts. workshops and the bremen casino, the paula modersohn - becker and roselius museums are required viewing, as is a fine carillon.
Built between 1405 and 1410, the Rathaus is often seen as Germany´s finest municipal building. It recieved its facade in a distinct Weser Renaissance style in the 17 th century. The interior boasts a number of historc rooms. The extensio of 1912 hosts meetings of the Lord Mayer and the state Governement.
The city´s most famous represention of the Town musicians is a bronze statue of 1951 by local sculptor Gerhard Marcks. The grup has been recieved to international acclaim and is located round the wetsern side of the Rathaus.
The market square has been watching over the city centre life of centuries, rating with the most elegant in Germany. The place centres round the flagstoned Hanseatic Cross, commemorating those Hanseatic citizen who took part in the war of liberation. Turning full circle reveals the sandstone statute of Knight Roland in front of the 600 year old Rathaus. To the right lies the imposing St. Petri Cathedral. Along the eastern side is Bremen´s modern State Parliament building and the Schütting mansion, home to the local Camber of Commerce. Next are the restored Saving Bank, the Council Apothecary, the former Excise House and the impressive facade of the Deutsches Haus.
Luxury all the way. The staff is extremely kind and helpful, and the breakfast is superb. If you...more
Elbestrasse 18, Bremerhaven, Bremen, 27570, Germany
Good for: Couples
As soon as we decided to go to Bremen this summer I started looking for a hotel near the train...more