Reeperbahn - St. Pauli, Hamburg

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 35 Reviews

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

St. Pauli

by Nemorino Updated Feb 19, 2012

St. Pauli is a traditionally working-class district of Hamburg, near the harbor. It includes the red-light district around the Reeperbahn as well as numerous bars and music clubs.

The Beatles lived and sang here when they were just getting started, before they became famous.

Second and third photos: Family cycling in St. Pauli.

Next review: Park Fiction

• sex in St. pauli and Red District

by antaresko Written Nov 26, 2011

DO ATENTION OF THE SEX GIRLS IN ST. PAULI. "ALL IS A TRAP"

I´m a tourist that was visit Hamburg and at night walk for St. Pauli and the around streets.
    many youngs and beauty girls be in the street for the sex..
    After speak with one pretty girl, she tell me that I must pay 50 € for half hour and 10 for the Room, after I accept go to the room close there, the room was very bad, with few light red and I must pay first in avance the 60€, and I remove my clothing and still nude, then arrive the girl and sit down in the bed and talk with me that is necesary pay more for can do any of sex..
    My surprise.. she not remove her clothings, she not touch me and is not possible touch to her body, after I become a few angry for this trap, she speak with the bodyguard and him inviteme to go out of the house, without the 60€ and very bad sentation for this kind of theft.

In the Stree out of this house there are others girls do the same fraud with others clients, I call to one and tell about this trap, then one of the girls coming to me with insult and kicks for finally throw me a drink of redbull over my jaquet.

I write this for put in notice to others men do not repeat my bad experience.

Charles. from Leeds.

• antistar's Profile Photo

"Real Live F**cking on the Stage"

by antistar Written Oct 19, 2011

Davidwache, Reeperbahn, Hamburg

As an impressionable teenager, growing up in the Iran of the Western world, I was blissfully unexposed to the wonders of commercialized sex. When my friend returned from his Interrail trip, with tales of the Reeperbahn in Hamburg, it was more than my ears could handle. Even though the story had a rather drab ending, with my friend ending up in an overpriced bar to watch a couple go at it like a Sunday afternoon, with about as much erotic appeal as a brick, as sexy as your mother standing in for the nude art model at college, it still stuck in my head for all those 25 years since he told me. So I had to go to the Reeperbahn to see what it was all about.

And it was as drab as a Sunday afternoon. I stood among the drunks and idle tourists and imagined what it was like 25 years ago, where my friend, himself an impressionable teenager not even 17 years old, would have walked out of the station into Reeperbahn to hear a sex hawk calling out "Real Live F**cking on the Stage". But those days have long gone. There's only one live sex show any more, and the locals are fighting a campaign to "keep the Reeperbahn seedy". The gentrification of this once defiantly liberal district is rapidly taking hold. One day it will reborn as an upmarket suburb, and the only memory of the sex shows will be in the name of a three star Michelin bistro/restaurant.

• Never visit Tutti Frutti in St. Pauli

by seanrd Written Oct 9, 2011

I have visited Tutti Frutti table dance in september, ending up with being robbed by the staff. The doorkeeper tries to pull you inn, saying its free to enter. Inside the girls will come to your table and ask you if you want a drink. For this you will be charged 400 euros, instead of 20 euros. When I ordered one drink, they brought me a bottle of champagne instead. The bolded guy in the bar will threaten to call the police, then his "friends" if you refuses to pay. The service is poor and the table dance is just embarassing to watch. Most of the guests left early under my visit since they were herassed or threatened by the staff. I will give Tutti Frutti in St. Pauli the lowest rating ever possible. If you look for a nice time in Hamburg there are plenty of other places to go.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

St Pauli

by mindcrime Updated Aug 14, 2010

St.Pauli decoration

Although I support the local football team (St Pauli FC is a small one but full of pation and with a great merchandise especially if you are a rocker ) the district of St Pauli isn’t the best site for some visitors. It’s full of weird sex stores, night clubs, casino, peep shows, cheap restaurants, pubs etc It is similar to Pigalle in Paris.

We had walked many times through the day but during the night it feels kind of creepy and it’s not the best place especially if you are a woman traveling alone. Of course, most of the girls have fun here too but there are some parts that are men-only and girls getting in there are in real danger. So, AVOID Herbeststrasse and you’ll be ok. Hernetsytasse is a short street by the way, closed at both ends, and in case you don’t already know about it there are girls on the windows (like in Amsterdam).

After exiting the station you’ll notice a small fun park. Just walk along Reeperbahn and check the funny/weird sex shops (the area is Hamburg’s Red Light District), choose one of the numerous restaurants (great for budget travelers) or just drink a beer with the local rockers/punks. Don’t forget that the area is also full of theatre live venues etc Beatles gave their first concerts here at Grosse Freiheit 39.

• barbskie's Profile Photo

Reeperbahn at daytime

by barbskie Updated May 30, 2010

Hamburg's most famous street running parallel to the harbour. Not only popular to its numerous strip bars, erotic shops and to say it short the red light district but also to those who seek and will enjoy culture. Restaurants

Theatres, musical and museums are simply there like The Beatles Museum. The production of CATS at the Oprettenhaus, has been Hamburg's reputation as Germany's musical capital.

Today, ich War Noch Nie In New York, is live on stage featuring Udo Jürgen's songs.

We experienced Reeperbahn both day and night.
    First we did was with the sightseeing bus and saw more or less this famous area. Then before we left Hamburg, we went again, walking along the long road leading us to the harbor (day time) and once at night time from the harbor after a good dinner the Fischmarkt area up to Pinasberg, passing Herberstrasse to the police station David'swache then at Spielbudenplatz were we enjoyed some drinks. Finally we took the UBahn (St pauli station) back to our hotel.
    I may say, it is not the Reeperbahn heard before but honestly i'm glad our exploration went smoothly :)

• ericaj.'s Profile Photo

The "Other" Reeperbahn:Music & Theatre In One Stop

by ericaj. Updated Aug 17, 2009

Spielbundsplatz, Reeperbahn Musical Theatre Home

No trip to Hamburg is complete without a stroll along the fabled red-light district, the Reeperbahn. Although in addition to the wilder clubs and adult activities there though, the Reeperbahn also houses tamer alternatives like live music clubs featuring local, national, and international acts. It is also home to several theatres focused on large musicals and cabaret dinner theatre. One of the most legendary of the performing arts complexes there is the Schmidt's-Tivoli, which has a musical theatre, dance and live music club, tapas restaurant with sidewalk seating, and cabaret room featuring comedy, performance art, and cabaret music with dinner seating. Except for the live music performances at Angie's Nightclub, all activities are in German, but a must for theatre and cabaret lovers who want a taste of what the theatre world was like in this city for the last century. It is located on Spielbundsplatz, a performing arts laden street which also houses the TUI Opperettenhaus (home to musical extravaganzas like Mama Mia).

• Theater Travel

• Night Clubs

by kevinrocks Written Apr 14, 2008

if possible avoid the night clubs at Reeperbahn. If you are not careful with the girls, you could probably end up losing quite some money.
    I happened to be at one of the night clubs and unluckily i agreed to buy the girl a drink. The people at the place were very clever in concealing the fact that i was ordering an expensive drink for them. (supposed to be paid for a pvt dance..). Caught in the grimy situation, i just had to pay the money and come out. Advise.. be extra careful before you buy something.. These are trained fraudsters and could leave a big hole in your pocket..

Checked with some friends and came to know that this has happened to quite some people. My feeling.. "Beware of pick pocketers and the night club girls at Reeperbahn"

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Reeperbahn

by Bigs Updated Mar 19, 2008

Grosse Freiheit by daytime

The amusement mile of Hamburg. It's one of the biggest and most famous red light districts in the world. It offers a lot of nightlife activites. Besides all the sex shows etc you also find great bars and theaters here.

The star club made the Beatles famous here. It's no longer called Star club I guess, but there are other clubs around. Great for concerts is the Grosse Freiheit 36. It has a great atmosphere.

I once saw Suede here and had a lot of fun! And the show of Kettcar in April 05 was a great fun too...PARTY!!!! Not to forget the memorable evening with the editors on the 16th of March 2008....

• reeperbahn

by bajen12 Written Jan 3, 2008

I visited reeperbahn last year with some friends, we saw all the city. when we got back to sweden we agreed that Hamburg is Reeperbahn and Reeperbahn is Hamburg.

There is so much to see and do, ( talking about the nightlife). We didn´t have any problem anywhere. And ofcourse we walked through Herbertstrasse, very beutiful girls there.

In two weeks we are going back to Reeperbahn, love it.

Go there

• Jmon's Profile Photo

Your visit would not be complete without it!

by Jmon Written Oct 10, 2007

OK, so the Reeperbahn is probably the best known thing about Hamburg. Yes, you can pick up a hooker here -- it's legal. You can also gamble, drink, visit a sex shop and hear some rock 'n roll. It is a wild place, but relatively safe, and worth a look, especially at night...even if it is just to say you saw it.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

What Hamburg is most famous for.

by sourbugger Written Feb 9, 2007

Hamburg has long been seen as a 'sin city' where sailors could empty their wallets into the willing hands of local bar owners and whores.

These days the sailors have little time in port, so the whole tawdy show is aimed more at tourists and locals who are looking for a little spice.

The main 'Reeperbahn' is a broad street (Broad street, geddit ?) packed with pubs, strip joints, lap-dancing clubs, a casino, peep shows, sex shops and the like. If you have been to the Pigalle in Paris, then you will know what I mean. Rather oddly the street features more mundane shopping experiences - such a Lidl. They still stick to selling cheap cans of tuna and bog roll, rather than having 'specials' on Dildos and vibrators.

The word 'reeper' means 'Rope' and although no rope is manufactured here anymore, it would still seem to be in use for activities unrelated to seafaring.

Just off the main street lies 'Herbertstrasse'. This short street is closed at both ends by large red walls. I believe it was the Nazi's who originally erected then (these double entendres are coming just too easily) in order to curb the amount of prostitutes plying their trade. Many believe it is the law that women and under 18's cannot enter the street, although following a question on the misc forum, I am assured that it is a convention rather than an actual law. Either way, I didn't see any 'normal' women entering the street. I was also told that prostitues who occupy the windows lining the street (a la Amsterdam) would happily abuse or even throw condoms at any woman who dared to enter their territory.

Let off the leash for a few minutes, I though I'd better investigate Herbertstrasse for myself. I have to say that the thirty of so women plying their trade that freezing January night were some of the most stunningly attractive women I've ever seen.

Mrs SB claims that any old tart would look good in expensive lingerie, and bathed in a pink light that hides any blemish of the skin.

Hey, I was there, and beg to differ.

• Obak81's Profile Photo

Reeperbahn

by Obak81 Written Oct 7, 2006

Side street

This district is world famous for the large variety of sexshop, gay bars and other adult entertainment sites. Visiting sailers have been frequenting this area for a long time, and especially after WWII the district attracted many american soldiers.
    I had a couple of hours of spare time and decided to see for my self. However it was during the morning and almost everything wa closed, so I cant say that I captured the athmosphere of the district.

• Gay and Lesbian

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

An interesting place this St Pauli....

by ChadSteve1975 Updated Sep 22, 2006
    The clubs in this area apparently rock on weekends

So what does one do when they go to Hamburg. Well on the weekend apparently everyone goes here to the Reeperbahn. The red lights of Hamburg.

And I was there on a Monday night, during the day. Boy was it dead.

I walked past at night just to make sure I didn't miss seeing it all lit up. And that was good. Although I was a bt confused that some parents had children with them walking along the street. It's not the environment for kids. Even if it all happens behind closed doors.

And before anyone asks. No I didn't go inside the closed street. I didn't have the guts to just venture in. Especially with all the tourists watching other tourists as to whether they go in.

• Singles

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Reeperbahn - just for the Beatles of cours :-))

by globetrott Updated Jun 3, 2006

one of the places the Beatles had a performance

NEVER would I go to the Reeperbahn for any other reason than to search for some traces of the places, where the Beatles started their carrer...
    Most of these places have disappeared and you may still see only the adresses like:
    Grosse Freiheit 36 where the Beatles were introduced as newcomers in 1959
    Grosse Freiheit 39 where the famous Star Club used to be - the Beatles had their first solo-concerts there--- --- --- --- --- ---
    Reeperbahn got its name by the ropes (reep in the local dialect) that used to be produced in long halls. Today you have a lot of street-constructions going on, dividing Reeperbahn into the sinful north-side and the south-side that offers various good theatres and cabarets.

• Seniors
    • Music

Instant Answers: Hamburg

Comments

Hotels Near Reeperbahn - St. Pauli
4.5 out of 5 stars