St. Katharinen Kirche, Hamburg
St. Catherine's Church - the nearest church to the port. It has height of 115 meters and has been established in the thirteenth century, and the modern shape concerns to the seventeenth century.
St. Catherine's Church is one of the five principal Lutheran churches (Hauptkirchen) of Hamburg, Germany. The base of its spire, dating from the 13th century, is the oldest building preserved in the city; after the lighthouse on Neuwerk island. It is situated on an island near what was formerly the southern boundary of the medieval city, opposite the historic harbour area on the Elbe river. It traditionally served as the church of the seamen.
The church of St. Catherine's stood at the lower edge of medieval Hamburg, on the city walls facing the Elbe. Its first written mention dates back to the 13th century, but the brick body is two centuries more recent. The spire, a baroque wonder shaped like three upside down ice-cream cones, one atop the other, is a 17th century addition. Its greatest claim to fame is to have had, as its organist, one Johann Sebastian Bach. He was a great admirer of the church's organ, but that was destroyed in the firebombings of 1943.
St. Katharinen is one of Hamburg's major medieval churches. Parts of the structure date back to the 14th century. The baroque spire was added in 1659, designed by Peter Marquard. Although the church was nearly destroyed in World War II, it has been carefully restored to its pre-war dignity.