Black Forest Restaurants

• tessy's Profile Photo

Berghotel Wiedener Eck: Excellent deer

by tessy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Black Forest

We were in that hotel for 4 days. First we planned to have diner in a restaurant nearby or on the road. But after we tried the first evening, we stayed there and we always looked forward to the excellent meals.

Favorite Dish: I prefered to take the menue!

• swissrain's Profile Photo

Zur Stube: Eat chops till you drop!

by swissrain Updated Dec 21, 2003

the host familiy

This is an old, historic black forest house, fomerly the meeting place of the peasants of the area who were not under any emperor, king or ruler here but governed themselves freely.

Christopher, who is the owner, has the ambition and skill to prepare everything for you perfectly. As a chef he is so restless that even on his holidays in paradise he would find a great kitchen where he can assist concocting. Not surprisingly his cuisine is irreproachable even to gourmets who are used to Michelin-stars.

Really, we find the place so good that we sometimes drive the three hours from Switzerland to Oberharmersbach just to enjoy a nice big meal in the beautiful setting of this restaurant. Christopher's charming wife Sandra will do everything so that you get the best service.

Favorite Dish: Everything here is excellent, and not expensive at all. And this is a rare thing to find excellence at average prices.

If we want to give ourselves a treat, we ask for the menu surprise, that means that Christopher will see that you get the best he is having at his cuisine. You will need three to four hours for this meal, and you'd be happy to have a room upstairs to take a nap after the meal.

But you can also eat a very simple meal, what I often eat in Germany: a nice salad, as a starter, then Schnitzel, thinly cut pork in breadcrumbs, and French, sorry, Freedom fries. Perfect! And at 9.90 Euro a bargain.

• Loeffle's Profile Photo

Gasthaus Pension Rößle St. Märgen: Delicious, regional food - not expensive!

by Loeffle Updated Jul 10, 2003

Gasthaus Pension R����le St. M��rgen

This is one of the typical Black Forest family run restaurant, where you can also have a bed for a reasonable price. You can hardly find such places in bigger towns anymore, but most smaller villages have several of these. If you are on holiday in Black Forest I really recommend staying or at least dining in one of these. It's much more unique than a posh hotel on Titisee or in Hinterzarten.

I just love to take a break in such a restaurant after a long hike (like I had today). Then you can really say NOW I deserve something good. And be sure they offer many good and traditional dishes. All my (foreign or non-Southern German) friends I took with me there loved the stuff they prepared. Of course you should ask first, before ordering "something unknown". The cuisine of Black Forest also offers some very traditional dishes which you might not like ...

As you can see Rößle has tradition and is built in typical Black Forest farm style. But don't worry inside it's very nice and renovated. Most likely its roots go back to the 12th century. But it was for sure already a "restaurant" at 1500. In the beginning of the 20th century the famous psychologist Husserl was a famous summer guest of Rößle.

You can easily find Rößle in St. Märgen, it's just across the post office, where also the bus stops. The bus number 7272 links St. Märgen regularly with Hinterzarten, St. Peter and Kirchzarten. The village can also be reached by car. It's a perfect location to start hiking trips!

Favorite Dish: Well, I can't give you any favourite, but I tell you what I had today.

Today I had a "big salad of the season". It was really big so I'd consider it as full dish. It consisted of various salads, which were decorated with cheese and bacon. Keep in mind that Black Forest salads are salty and with herbs, NOT sweet like in Northern Germany.

Because the cook of Rößle died recently in a tragic accident, the restaurant open only at 16:00 (small dishes) on weekdays, warm dishes from 18:00. Holidays it opens at 11:00. These opening hours are due to change, so check the website, please.

Rößle can be very crowded or even closed (when they host a marriage or several busses arrive at the same time). So you might call beforehand (or choose another restaurant in St. Märgen), if you want to be sure.

I paid:

Salad 6,10 €
    Orange Juice (0,2 l) 1,50 €
    Cafe au lait 1,70 €

I think these prices are very cheap, because it's a nice place and food is delicious ...

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Gasthof Hirschen: Village gasthof

by Sjalen Written Sep 25, 2002

A typical mountain house tucked away in a small Black Forest village. The house is also a hotel. On the menu is typical hearty German fare. We went in winter when children were skiing past outside our window. No high hills in the village but it is near the peak of Belchen with its skiing facilities.

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian rösti. To at all find a vegetarian alternative here surprised me. There are also varieties of typical fruit schnaps for after dinner, as well as a cake table to die for with proper Black Forest gateau.

Instant Answers: Black Forest

Comments

Black Forest Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Black Forest restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Black Forest sightseeing.