Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen Local Customs

• Bernd_L, madschick, Danny40, tini58de and Leipzig
    Bernd_L, madschick, Danny40, tini58de...
    by tini58de
    Alde Bumbel 2007
    by tini58de
    Natalie (nhcram) and Claudia (Gammy1968)
    by yumyum

Most Recent Local Customs in Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Christmas market

by yumyum Written Dec 2, 2007

Natalie (nhcram) and Claudia (Gammy1968)

Each year on the first advent weekend Eggenstein has its own little Christmas market. Our local VT hosts (tini58de, madschick, Jadefrau, Bernd_L) took us there this year for some mulled wine (Gluehwein).

It is located conveniently next to Andreas Brauhaus on the big carpark.

VT meetings

by tini58de Written Feb 21, 2007

madschick, yumyum, nhram, Bernd_L, HORSCHECK

Throughout our first 5 years of VT we have been fortunate to meet many wonderful fellow travellers, some of whom have even visited us at our home! This has been a great and very rewarding experience for us and more than one real friendship has developped!

Great to have met you all!

New Year's Eve

by tini58de Updated Feb 21, 2007

We usually start the evening with a TV program called "Dinner for One", then we have Fondue with delicious dips and meat and later we shoot some fireworks!

Nothing spectacular, but very enjoyable!!!

Weihnachtsmarkt

Eggenstein Weihnachtsmarkt

Every year there is a small Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) in Eggenstein. It is only open the first weekend in December, but it is a lot of fun:

you can drink Glühwein, eat a Crèpe, go on the roundabout, or do some wonderful Christmas shopping!

Take the tram S1/S11 to the stop "Viermorgen" and you will be right there!

Seifenkistenrennen

Rocket racer

Every year in September there is the annual soap box car race here in Eggenstein. It is a lot of fun for old and young

For more impressions of the Seifenkistenrennen please do have a look at my travellogue!

Starsingers

starsingers of Eggenstein

I am not sure if you know the tradition that around Epiphany the children dress up as the holy kings and go from door to door, sing a song, collect donations for poor children around the world and bless the house by writing a blessing above the door. This is a Catholic tradition, so I did not know it from where I used to live! Last year was the first time we had the starsingers visit our house and I was too overwhelmed to take a picture! But this year I was prepared and they kind of liked it, too!

Birthdays

2006

Birthdays are a big thing in my culture and there are a couple of (regional) customs to it as well:

in my family it was a custom to get a birthday cake and a birthday dinner, which for me was a little different, because my dad was born on the very same day! So he got his birthday dinner on the 21st and I got mine a day later.......

I always enjoy having friends and family over for my birthday and do not worry about age...!

Carnival

Alde Bumbel 2007

The carnival parade in Eggenstein is held on Carnival Tuesday - a the same time as the big parade in nearby Karlsruhe.

It is well worth watching this fine parade, where local people, clubs and organisations dress up and present their motto, which very often has a local or political background.

Amongst this year's motto were: our new chancelleresse, the closed down whorehouse in Eggenstein, the stupid idea of a development area near the forest, climate change and many more. Plus music and sweets and confetti...........

For more pictures, please have a look at my travellogue!

Feeding Swans

Swans

To go down to the Rhine River to feed the many swans there is a popular local custum. Families go there on Sunday afternoons with their children. The swans and ducks seem to wait for them and their bread.

Halloween

Pumpkins

Halloween is becoming more popular in Germany recently. So the pumpkin is grown all around Eggenstein. This year you could see recipies for pimpkin-soup just in every newspaper. I personally don'tt like pumpkin very much.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Playing games

by Leipzig Updated Oct 10, 2003

In the evening we played a funny game. You had seven triangles on which three numbers were written in each corner. The aim was to lay all your triangles next to given triangles with the requirement that the numbers on your triangle equal the numers on the adjacent one. If none of your triangles fit to the others you had to take additional one.

Later we played a self-made game called "Germany Travel". I liked it a lot because I won. Every player got ten cards with destinations and had to dice to get from one point to the others.
    Hard to explain, easy to play.

• chancay's Profile Photo

Phrases

by chancay Written Sep 18, 2003

where the fu**ing hell are my shoes????

Typical in Germany are these traditional phrases you find especially in the more rural regions. I can´t say that this phrase is right from Badem Württemberg, but I found in the museum I already wrote about. It means:
    all things at their definite place
    conserve time and many a phrase (word)

Kirmes - Kerwe

Kirmes

The annual very little fun-fair is an event, which highlights autumn in Eggenstein. It is a lot of fun for the children. And their parents can have a beer or a glas of wine.

Instant Answers: Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen

Comments

Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen sightseeing.

View all Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen hotels