Freiburg im Breisgau Restaurants

by travelfrosch

Most Recent Restaurants in Freiburg im Breisgau

Dreisam Ufercafé: Dinner After the Party

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 3, 2014

UPDATE: Dreisam Ufercafe has been taken over by a chain restaurant called Cafe Extrablatt.

While we were wandering around looking for a place to eat, we couldn't help noticing the beer gardens were packed, and everyone was crowded around wide-screen TVs. The World Cup was going on, and Germany was playing. As it turned out, the game ended just as we were approaching the Dreisam Ufercafé, on the Ufer (river bank) of the Dreisam. Loud celebrations broke out, and the beer garden quickly emptied as jubilant fans ran past us. We made our way into the suddenly empty and quiet beer garden as the party made its way towards the town center.

Favorite Dish: Standard beer garden fare was served to us by a few sullen workers. The chicken and spare ribs were tasty. I had a Paulaner Hefeweizen, which also hit the spot.

Dreisam Ufercaf��

Gasthaus Zum rauhen Mann: A Tasty Mistake

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 3, 2014

We were actually trying to visit a nearby restaurant, but we wanted to sit on the edge of the outdoor seating to allow maximum room for Minifrosch and his stroller. It turns out, the outside edge of the seating belonged to the neighboring restaurant, Gasthaus Zum rauhen Mann. While our guidebook loudly warned its readers not to visit this "lesser-value" restaurant, we found the food to be perfectly reasonably priced. Service was friendly and the quality of the food was very good. It turns out we did not regret our "mistake" one bit.

Favorite Dish: I tried the "Badische Flammenkuchen," a sort of cross between a pizza and a crêpe, topped with sour cream, smoked ham, and cheese. Sara tried the käsespätzle, a pasta-like dish with cheese. The featured beer was from the local Ganter brewery. I tried a half-liter of the tasty Ganter Urtrunk, an unfiltered "kellerbier" available only locally and on tap.

Enjoying the outside seating (and a beer) Tasty Ganter Urtrunk Badische Flammenkuchen K��sesp��tzle Gasthaus Zum rauhen Mann
    • Architecture
    • Business Travel

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Heiliggeiststueble HOLY SPIRIT Stüble: "Religious" wine bar

by rexvaughan Written Apr 14, 2013

We didn’t realize we were in a religious establishment until I got home and looked up “heiliggeiststeuble” and learned that we were in the Holy Spirit wine bar. I understand it is run by a religious organization, thus the name. Otherwise, it is a very pleasant restaurant with pretty good food. It is also conveniently located on the Munsterplatz. We stopped for a light lunch and my wife had what she called a very nice creamy herb soup with croutons. I had the beef salad “Freiburg style” which included beef on red leaf lettuce with apple, celery, cauliflower, carrots and radishes with a light mayo dressing. So I got to eat lots of veggies and still satisfy my carnivorous appetite. We had a nice Riesling with our lunch as well.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Erzherzog Albrecht Restaurant: Convenient

by Nemorino Updated Mar 25, 2013

A pleasant, unpretentious little restaurant in the Old Town, just a few steps from the Rathausplatz.

Yes, that's a Swiss flag in the photo, but it's not a Swiss restaurant. They're just trying to attract Swiss customers, since Switzerland begins just 42 kilometers south of Freiburg.

Second photo: Inside the restaurant.

1. Erzherzog Albrecht Restaurant 2. Interior of the Erzherzog Albrecht Restaurant

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Gasthaus Restaurant Shuetzen: Food, wine and beer in a relaxed atmosphere....

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 5, 2013

This restaurant and beer garden is attached to the Hotel Gasthaus Schuetzen. It has a wonderful atmosphere and is usually quite busy. It is famous for its Sunday brunch from 11am to 2pm every Sunday and the place is packed. At 11.80 euro, for all you can eat, I can understand why. It is also open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.

Favorite Dish: I couldn't go past the Sunday brunch mainly because one small part of what was on offer was scrambled eggs and bacon. To an Australian/English/American traveller, this has got to be a big attraction. I did also have dinner here and it too was very good. It was a roast pork meal priced at about 9 euro. Lovely.

Restaurant /Reception area
    • Seniors

• chancay's Profile Photo

Schlappen - student and more pub

by chancay Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Schlappen is the oldest student pub in Freiburg, already more than 25 years old. I was told that the Schlappen was once awarded as the most liked students pub in Germany (although I don?t know how they could investigate and compare this). Nevertheless it is a real cozy pub with good eating and drinking prizes and offers.

A special is the mens toilet...don?t miss to have a look there....;-)

Schlappen (~= old slipper)

• Loeffle's Profile Photo

Greifeneggschloessle: Regional Cuisine with panorama view over old town

by Loeffle Updated Apr 4, 2011

They offer a wide variety of regional dishes. So if you want something "typical" you should choose "Regio-Menue" or "Schlossberg-Menue".

The restaurant offers also Brunch dishes!
    But the special thing is the location of this place, high above the city you have a breathtaking view. You can go there with a lift (cross the wooden bridge at Schwabentor), then either take the lift or or go by food.

If you don't want to spend so much money go to the Biergarten just behind the restaurant. It's open in summer, when the weather is good. Prices are a bit high, food is not that special, but the atmosphere is great.

View from Greifeneggschl��ssle restaurant
    • Business Travel

• Todd64's Profile Photo

Greifeneggschlössle: Watch out for Bats!

by Todd64 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My memory has been a little fuzzy but thanx to new VT member Zandra's note, I'm reminded that the name of this place is Greifeneggschlössle. Of course! How could I have been such a Dummkopf? ;o)

Anyway, what makes this place unique, is that it's built on/in the side of this "mountain" in the middle of Freiburg, and you have to go through this cave-like tunnel to get to the entrance, but I guarantee that when you reach the patio an incredible view awaits; for free!

Hausbrauerei Feierling: Microbrewery in Freiburg

by travelfrosch Updated Jan 3, 2011

Naturally, when I hear about a beer garden that brews its own beer, I have to give it a try. We visited at lunchtime on a sunny summer day. The beer garden was not crowded, giving us the opportunity to sit with Minifrosch a safe distance from others. He was quiet and charming that afternoon, so it turned out people would come over to sit near us (and him).

Favorite Dish: I had the pressack (head cheese) in vinegar with a salad. I tried the flagship "Inselhopf" beer, an unfiltered "organic" brew. It looked lovely in the glass, but I found the flavor somewhat bland.

The beer garden The brewery Pressack with salad A mug of Feierling Inselhopf

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Dreisam Ufer Café: New meeting place

by Nemorino Updated Jun 13, 2010

This new riverbank café near the university and the city center was first opened in the summer of 2006, and has quickly become a popular meeting place.

While the indoor part is somewhat up-market, the outdoor area is a self-service beer garden "in the Bavarian style", so if you have ever been to one of the big beer-gardens in Munich you know how it works. There is a difference, though. In Bavaria you are usually allowed to bring your own picnic lunch with you to the beer-garden, and here there are signs saying that this is not allowed. (I suppose this is a cultural difference between Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg.)

Second photo: Part of the self-service outdoor section is equipped with reclining garden chairs.

Third photo: This part of the beer-garden has wooden chairs and tables, with the river in the background, as well as a bridge with a tram going across it.

1. Caf�� by the river 2. The beach chair section 3. Beer-garden with wooden chairs and tables

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Galleria Kaufhof: Add it up as you go.....

by Maryimelda Written Apr 19, 2010

This is another of those wonderful buffets which make it easy for you to budget for your meal. You can add it up as you choose and so know what you are up for when you get to the cash register.

Favorite Dish: There is a wide selection of meals, snacks, sweets, beverages etc. They are all beautifully presented and cover a wide range of prices. You can spend as much or as little as you want.

Mouthwatering selection Just about anything you want. Galleries Kaufhof

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Markthalle: Quick and Cheap Lunch

by Kathrin_E Written Apr 19, 2010

The so-called Markthalle (market hall) assembles food stalls of various kinds with food specialities from more or less all around the globe: Indian, Chinese, Italian, French, Japanese, Badisch... If you want a quick and cheap lunch and don’t need a restaurant to sit down, this is the place to go. If people in your group have widely different tastes and cannot agree on one style of food, this is the place to go.

The "hall" is a passageway through some houses, not a separate building. The entrance is easiest to find from Martinstor, at the end of the dead-end side lane next to the gate tower. There is another entrance from the street round the corner.

Favorite Dish: I had Fleischkückle (fried meat balls) and potato salad, a plain but nice local dish, from the counter with Badisch food.

Markthalle Markthalle entrance Markthalle

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Augustiner im Bankepeter: My secret affogato....

by Maryimelda Updated Nov 29, 2009

This is another restaurant come beer garden which is high on my list of favourites in Germany. The beer garden does brisk business in the warmer weather but the inside restaurant is nicely appointed and very comfortable. The food is good basic German/Austrian with a lttle French and Italian influence as well. Prices are definitely within a price range that I found very affordable.

Favorite Dish: I chose Veal Cordon bleu with chips and salad. It was cooked beautifully and presented well.
    A big plus in my book was that it was piping hot when it was put on the table. I accompanied it with a 1/4 litre jug of red. Thoroughly enjoyable but there was still a nice surprise awaiting me. The waitress was a German girl who had recently returned from a year in Australia where she also worked in restaurants, so we had a lot to talk about. When she removed my dinner plate, she asked me if I would like coffee. I don't enjoy coffee in Europe as much as I do at home, so I explained this to her and I was delighted when she offered to make me an Affogatto, "just like you have in Australia" she said. I was most impressed and of course enjoyed the affogato immensely.

Augustiner im Bankepeter..... The inside restaurant.....

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Muenster Markets: What more do you want for lunch?

by Maryimelda Written Oct 18, 2009

After a buffet breakfast included in the hotel tariff and thoughts of a lovely dinner each night, there is very little required for lunch, when I'm travelling. At the Muenster Markets there are a number of street vendors selling the classic German sausage and mustard on a bun. There are many varieties from which to choose and at 2 euro, the price is definitely right.

Favorite Dish: I told the vendor to surprise me as I didn't know one sausage from another and she willingly obliged. I still can't tell you what I had, but I can tell you that it was absolutely delicious and smothered in a mild German mustard.....I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

The best lunch ever......

• Oztralian Bar and Restaurant: Modern Australian Cuisine

by freibebeibi Written Oct 22, 2007

This new restaurant has a chilled atmosphere with a variety of meals, from burgers and salads (6-16 euro) to veggie, meat and fish dishes with an Australian flavour (7-20 euro). Like most Australian food, there is a fusion of asian flavours accompanying favorite meats like lamb, beef and chicken. Plus there are dishes featuring the specialty meats, kangaroo, emu and crocodile. Homesick Australians can enjoy Australian wine, a VB, Carlton Cold or a Crownie, but without the expat bar atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The tasting plate of grilled Kangaroo, Emu and Croc fillets with veggies and chips.

OZtralia´s crossover 19,80 EUR
    Gegrillte Filets vom Krokodil, Känguruh und Emu
    auf Karotten – Lauchgemüse mit Süßkartoffelgratin ,
    Home fries und Mango Chutney

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Freiburg im Breisgau

Comments

Freiburg im Breisgau Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Freiburg im Breisgau restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Freiburg im Breisgau sightseeing.

View all Freiburg im Breisgau hotels