Heidelberg What to Pack

• February 9, 2008 with all our luggage on my back.
    February 9, 2008 with all our luggage on...
    by cjg1

Most Recent What to Pack in Heidelberg

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Pack Light!

by cjg1 Written Jul 21, 2008
    February 9, 2008 with all our luggage on my back.

Luggage and bags: You always hear this advice. But at no point in my life have I followed it to quite this extent. We were able to pack our entire weekend's worth of gear into my one backpack. As such we were able to go to Heidelberg on the way to Karlsruhe from the airport. What greater benefit of packing lightly than to get out and see more than just the one place.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When coming to Heidelberg you should have very comfortable shoes. There is excellent public transportation but I find it one of my favorite cities to walk in.

Photo Equipment: The usual. Never leave home without the camera. You're a virtualtourist member after all....

• tini58de's Profile Photo

These Shoes are made for walking....

by tini58de Updated Jan 14, 2007

Heidelberg castle in winter

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When we visited in January, it started to snow real hard - so we were glad to have some sweaters and gloves with us!

One thing that kills me every time is cobble stone pavement - be sure to bring good shoes if you plan on walking around a lot!

• Disabilities

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Climate in Heidelberg

by Leipzig Updated Jun 10, 2003

Miscellaneous: There is no special rainy season

Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 10 – 19°C ( 50 - 66°F ); min: 1 - 8°C ( 34 - 47°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Summer: max.: 22 – 23°C ( 71 - 73°F ); min: 12 - 13°C ( 52 - 55°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Autumn: max.: 7 – 19°C ( 45 - 66°F); min: 2 - 10°C ( 36 – 50°F )
    Avg. Temp. in Winter: max.: 3 – 5°C ( 38 - 41°F); min: 0 - 1°C ( 32 - 34°F )

• Angela0667's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Angela0667 Written Aug 26, 2002

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Be sure to bring tissue with you! I was unable to find any except on Base. If you have allergies, bring some medication. I didn't need mine every day - just the days we went into the mountains. It does rain and when it does....it gets cold!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I shall spend some time now to describe what I would pack along with me on a typical trip to Germany in SPRING time:- 3 pairs of black legstockings (woolen), 1 woolen cardigan/ sweater, 2 long-sleeved pull-over sweater (to combine with the cardigan) to give that preppy look, 1 pair of denim jeans (in black or navy blue), 1 pair of leather boots OR a sturdy pair of Doc Marten's shoes (I love Doc Martens!), 1 pair of dressy high heel shoes (for those special evenings), 3 wool-knit/ jersey dresses (for BOTH day and evenings), 3 or 4 cotton-knit tees (to wear inside your cardigan), 1 pair of heavy warm flannel pajamas/nightdress, 1 trenchcoat (which you can carry on your arm) OR a warm coat - make sure it's rain-proofed and preferably with detachable lining ... as it ALWAYS rains/ drizzles in Germany in Spring time.

This list is by no means comprehensive. It's just a rough guide. Feel free to add on more or shorten it. It all depends really on how long you'd be staying in Germany.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: DON'T forget to transfer all your toner, cleanser, night cream et al into small plastic containers - to save luggage space.

Photo Equipment: O.K., don't go laughing at me now when I admit that I bring along THREE types of camera with me these days and load them with different types of films i.e. ASA200 film (for day) and the high speed Kodak 800 film for museums or places that do not allow flash photography.

Miscellaneous: DON'T forget to bring along your much-treasured ATM card to withdraw cash. Yes, no need to rush to the money-changers to change all your currencies into Deutsche Marks before your trip.

Just ensure that you adhere to the following steps and you should be safe:

(a) Flip to the back of your local ATM card now, do you see the logos 'Cirrus', 'Plus', 'The Exchange', 'Maestro' etc on it?

(b) If the answer is 'yes', then you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

(c) Why? Because you can withdraw cash from any ATM machines in Germany, no matter how obscure the town or village you're at is.

(d) If you use this method, you'd also save alot on the interbank exchange rates. Trust me. Would this sweet face (me!) lie to you?? Money changers will charge you much, much more compared to a bank.

(e) Also, DO NOT use your Visa/ Mastercard to withdraw cash. It is considered as a CASH ADVANCE and you'd be slapped with a very hefty fee for this. Not worth it!

I've used this method many, many times before and so far, no ATM machines in this world have failed me.... Yes, even at the remotest village in Africa and China! :-))

'You can always tell a true friend: When you make a fool of yourself, he doesn't think you've done a permanent job!' - Lawrence J. Peter

• bonio's Profile Photo

Think about it!

by bonio Written Apr 17, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Be sure to wear some comfy shoes, chances are you'll walk miles, especially if this is only a day visit. So much to see don't miss out on anything.........

Instant Answers: Heidelberg

Comments

Heidelberg What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Heidelberg what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Heidelberg sightseeing.