Heidelberg Restaurants

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Zur Goldenen Falken: As good a place as any, I suppose

by Nemorino Updated May 18, 2014

Zur Goldenen Falken

In the summer the whole market square of Heidelberg is pretty much filled up with outdoor restaurants. You can always tell where one ends and the next one begins because the sun umbrellas are a different color, and sometimes even the chairs are different. This one has green umbrellas and green metal chairs with wooden slats.

Sometimes a bit of a breeze blows through here, which is welcome on a hot day. Also this is a good place to sit and watch the tourists, which contrary to popular belief is an instructive and enjoyable pasttime. Like that one over there in the short jeans skirt and the pink top, just as an example. (Sorry, she's not in the photo.)

The church in the photo is the Heiliggeistkirche, the Church of the Holy Spirit, built 1398 to 1441.

Favorite Dish: I just had a Schnitzel and fries for 8.00 euros, and two glasses of draft beer (Pils vom Fass).

Schnitzel is always a safe thing to order in a place like this, because there's not much they can do to mess it up.

(Well, I could mess it up, but only because of my obsession with multi-tasking. When I'm cooking I always like to check my e-mails or something in the other room, so things keep burning, boiling over, sticking to the bottom or whatever. Take my advice and always loiter around in the kitchen while something is cooking, i.e. do as I say, don't do as I do.)

I also ate here again in 2010, but didn't realize until later that it was the same place.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Goldener Falke: Dine outside in the midst of everyone!

by GracesTrips Written Oct 27, 2013

We stopped by to have some lunch and look around Heidelberg. In the heart of town by the church, there was a large square with a number of chairs and tables outside where people were dining. Everything was quite full but we were fortunate to grab a table.

We just ordered some typical dishes and some white wine. I ordered the Kalbsbrust gefüllt mit Kalbsbrät dazu Rahmsoße, hausgemachten Spätzle und einem Beilagensalat which translates to Breast of veal filled with sausage meat on a cream sauce, homemade Spätzle and a side salad. My boyfriend ordered the Jägerschnitzel -paniertes Schweineschnitzel mit Rahmchampignons-Soße, Pommes Frites und einem Beilagensalat which translates to Breaded pork-steak with cream-mushroom-sauce with French Fries and a side salad. The food was good, but not great.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Café Gundel: Delicious cakes – Café Gundel

by Trekki Updated Sep 26, 2013

Caf�� Gundel's red berries cake

Café Gundel is an excellent option to stop by for coffee and cake after having walked down from the castle. I have read that it is one of the oldest bakeries in Heidelberg and that they still make their own cakes and pastries. With its location near Kornmarkt (this is where the statue of the Madonna is located which is often found in photos of the castle) it is in easy reach for visitors.
    Café Gundel is always my choice when I bring foreign colleagues to Heidelberg. No one was disappointed so far. You can get different cakes in the different season: in summer expect many fruit cakes, like the red berries cake and the blueberry cake in my photos. They also serve breakfast until 5 p.m. (yes 5 p.m. in the afternoon) and small daily menus, vegetarian options included. Inside of the restaurant they have 80 seats, outside on the square east of Kornmarkt are another 55 seats.

Prices vary of course, depending on what one eats. I would say that they are a slightly cheaper than the cafés along Hauptstraße, Heidelberg's main touristy street. For our two cakes and 2 latte macchiato we paid approx. 10 Euro (in 2007).

Café Gundel is open Tuesdays - Sundays from 08:30 (a.m.) until 06:00 (p.m.) and is closed on Mondays.

© Ingrid D., March 2011 (although photos only were up since Feb. 2007).

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Zum Weissen Schwanen: German comfort food

by Beausoleil Written Mar 2, 2013

Restaurant Zum Weissen Schwanen

We were in Heidelberg for the day, had found parking (hooray), visited the church and walked around town a bit. We were hungry and this looked good. It says Biermuseum on the front, but it was obviously a restaurant with the menu posted at the door so we went in to see what we'd find. If there was a museum, we didn't see it, but they did have every kind of beer you could imagine and a very nice and reasonable menu.

The service was friendly and helpful and the food was very good. German food tends to be comfort food and this was no exception. We asked for help choosing our beer and it was delicious.

Favorite Dish: Here is my rather brief journal entry for the restaurant:

I had the pork medallions in a chanterelle cream sauce with spatzle and Ed got bratwurst and sauerkraut. We both got dark beer and for dessert got ice cream. It was all excellent. Loved it.

As you can see, I didn't write much. It was a good lunch and we'd return in a heartbeat, but the journal was devoted to the rainstorm that hit whilst we were in the castle. It was decidedly more dramatic. It might be fun to check back at the restaurant and see if there really is a beer museum hiding there.

• carrie.kindred's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe: True to its Roots

by carrie.kindred Updated May 19, 2011

Not far from Schloss Heidelberg, Hard Rock Cafe is true to its nature. The food is good, the lighting is low, and the t-shirts are sold in the back. Outside seating (on a busy, entertaining street) is available in the warmer months. Pricing is fair, and service is friendly. (Our waitress spoke decent English.)

The website (listed below) has excellent photos of the inside, as well as a partial menu and contact information.

Favorite Dish: I had a flame grilled pizza named after Marilyn Monroe. It was excellent. The crust was topped with a white sauce, onions and shredded chicken. My only complaint is that I wasn't able to eat every last bit...it was easily big enough to serve 2. (Or even 4 with small appetites.)

• School Holidays

• Eiscafé Roma in Heidelberg: Good Ice Cream - bad Service

by Angelika1971 Written Apr 23, 2011

Being in Heidelberg from some years now I used to enjoy the ice cream of the Eiscafé Roma. Unfortunately it has become clear that I need to be on the lookout for a new favourite place. The service mentality of the location is in no comparison to what it used to be. Unfortunately I have the feeling that it is related the thinking that only tourists visit places close to the Hauptstrasse and not locals.
    I had noticed hectic and unfriendly service already for some time in the past but a recent encounter with friends at the place just left me speechless. When we took a seat at the café outside on a beautiful sunny day, we were served by a hectic and unfriendly waiter. We were surprised wondering if the Roma cannot afford friendly personnel anymore. But then it became even worse. Due to his stressful behaviour the waiter spilled a glass of water over the trouser of a friend. There was no "Sorry", he just turned red and went away to get a naktin. He then cleaned the table in such a way that the liquidity that was not yet on the trouser of my friend ended up there as well. When we later complained at him and afterwards at an elder colleague to whom he delegated the unsatisfied customers there was complete indifference. Meaning: it was water only, so what is the problem? No indication that my friend ended up paying for something she did not even drink. We were shocked at that attitude and could only explain it such that the owners think their guests are daily visitors in the city and will not return the next day anyways. We definetly won't!

• Work Abroad

• Zum Sepp'l: At the Joseph

by visiting14 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Noami recommended the Jägerschnitzel mit Champignonsauce and I was very pleased to have gone with her recommendation. She also informed me that Zum Supp'l translates as At the Joseph. It is a place with a lot of history. Go and enjoy and say hello to Noami...she's very friendly!

• Beer Tasting
    • Castles and Palaces

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Mensa Zeughaus: Inexpensive good food

by King_Golo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mensa Zeughaus

Mensa Zeughaus is one of a few student cafes of Heidelberg's university. Located in the middle of the old town, it is easily reachable for the average tourist - and it's really worth it! In case you're looking for good and inexpensive food, try the Zeughaus. For a price of 1,25 Euro per 100g, the food is really a bargain. In comparison to other German universities whose cooks seem to be quite bad at cooking, those in Heidelberg really know their job. You can select from several salads, meat dishes, side dishes and desserts. Best of all: The courtyard of the building allows you to eat in a wonderful atmosphere under old trees - something that most student cafes can't offer.

Favorite Dish: most of the food is good - but you might be careful with some of the sauces

• meeshelmybelle's Profile Photo

havana: almost on the water

by meeshelmybelle Updated Apr 4, 2011

interesting dishes, lots of drinks to choose from, beautiful location, nice outdoor seating area

Favorite Dish: cant say favorite, but i thought i ordered a one thing and i got an omlette, but it was very tasty and they give very large portions.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

KulturBrauerei: Lots of Beer has Passed Through Here....

by ExGuyParis Updated Apr 4, 2011

KulturBrauerei in Heidelberg

A traditional Brauhaus, with an outside beer garden in the warm weather. The original brewery was built almost 800 years ago. That's a lot of beer.

Traditional German fare, and a great selection of beers. This is a loud, fun place-- very welcoming for large groups as well.

There is also a hotel, with beautiful rooms in the range of 120 € for a double. See the website for maps and much more information.

Favorite Dish: Beer.

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Vetter: Vetter - Local brewhaus with great beer and food

by AcornMan Updated Apr 4, 2011

Vetter with old bridge in background

Vetter brews its own excellent beer right on the premises and also serves very good traditional German food. I finally got to use the word "Kartoffelsalat" when I ordered my lunch there. The location is perfect because it is right in the heart of the historic district near the Hauptstrasse, between the Old Bridge (Alte Brucke) and the Church of the Holy Spirit. From Vetter it is an easy walk to the castle (Schloss Heidelberg)

Favorite Dish: Weisswurst mit Kartoffelsalat (white sausage with potato salad). Actually that's the only thing I ate there, but it really hit the spot.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

RESTAURANT DELPHI....: YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO GREECE .....

by eden_teuling Updated Apr 4, 2011

ME IN REAL DELPHI, GREECE

THE DELPHI RESTAURANT in HEIDELBERG can treat you to the real taste of Greek Food....

An array of Greek SPECIALITIES are on their Cards.....you just have to order.....

Open: 11.30AM - 3PM and 5.30PM - midnight.

They are closed on Tuesday when they need to recover from pampering all their guests which we all can understand, can't we??

Favorite Dish: It is a nice idea that all you order can also be taken away to e.g. the place where you camp or stay......

• klasher's Profile Photo

Der Vetter: German Food and Beer in an Authentic Atmosphere

by klasher Written Jan 9, 2011

I am always looking for the place with the perfect atmosphere in which to enjoy my beer and food. THIS is the place for me in Heidelberg. The restaurant was full of locals and the high ceilings are adorned with massive bundles of hops. The beer here is excellent.

Favorite Dish: The Kasaspatzle was the best I have ever had.

• Beer Tasting

• Turska's Profile Photo

Perkeo: Good food, good service

by Turska Updated Aug 28, 2010

We were hoping to find owen baked pasta-some sort, and when they had those at menu, we stayed here. We ate at the streetside tables outside, but it looked like they had a patio also-too bad we didn´t know!
    The service was good, and so was the food, and it was cheap! I think we would go here again, if we will vist Heidelberg again.

Favorite Dish: Baked pasta with ham.

• ELear's Profile Photo

Persepolis Restaurant: Great Persian food for a change

by ELear Updated May 30, 2010

EXCELLENT Persian food, and in a very convenient position if you've just been up to the castle or you're going there, particularly if you're tired of trekking round looking for somewhere doing local food and just finding one tourist place after another.

I had shereshkpolo, which was very good indeed. There were several vegetarian options on the menu. They do children's portions.

They're very nice people too, and obviously popular with the locals.

Favorite Dish: Shereshkpolo (chicken in aromatic rice with barberries)

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Heidelberg

Comments

Heidelberg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Heidelberg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Heidelberg sightseeing.