Heidelberg Restaurants

by GracesTrips

Best Rated Restaurants in Heidelberg

Palmbräu: Old building, good food

by christine.j Written Apr 20, 2008

This is one of the many restaurants along the main street of Heidelberg,in my mind one of the best ones. It is in an old building, according to the waitress from the 17th century. The stone walls let it look a bit like a cellar, especially since the walls look darkened by fire.

The most important in any restaurant is the food and this is very good here. I admit I was surprised about the quality of the food the first time I was there, as a restaurant in such a major touristy area does not really have to make an effort. But they do , everything I had there was really good.

One of their specialties are the flam-cakes, Flammkuchen, a sort of pizza with a very thin dough.Very good! The Käsespätzle, similar to maccaroni and cheese, are too much for lunch alone. I usually take half of them home for dinner. They are served with a large salad, almost a full meal itself.

One problem though, the toilet is up a pretty steep stair, not easy for people who have problems walking.

Herrenmühle: The Charm of Old Heidelberg

by ExGuyParis Updated Feb 7, 2005

My favorite "fine dining" restaurant in Heidelberg. Herrenmühle is in a charming old guest house. The dining room has wood beams and a cozy, romantic atmosphere. The owners, Ursula and Günter Ueberle, are completely and totally charming. In the warm weather, you can dine outside on a stone terrace under an arbor.

The food is superb, certainly worthy of a Michelin star (which, I believe, the restaurant had at one point).

You can find pictures of the restaurant on their website (which is only in German). Click on the logo to enter, and then click on "Bilder." Then click on "Nächstes bilder" to see a few more photos.

I highly recommend Herrenmühle for anyone who wants a wonderful evening of charm and fine food.

Favorite Dish: This is another one of those places where every menu item is surprising and appealing.

Zur Herrenm��hle

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Zur Goldenen Falken: As good a place as any, I suppose

by Nemorino Updated May 18, 2014

In the summer the whole market square of Heidelberg is pretty much filled up with outdoor restaurants. You can always tell where one ends and the next one begins because the sun umbrellas are a different color, and sometimes even the chairs are different. This one has green umbrellas and green metal chairs with wooden slats.

Sometimes a bit of a breeze blows through here, which is welcome on a hot day. Also this is a good place to sit and watch the tourists, which contrary to popular belief is an instructive and enjoyable pasttime. Like that one over there in the short jeans skirt and the pink top, just as an example. (Sorry, she's not in the photo.)

The church in the photo is the Heiliggeistkirche, the Church of the Holy Spirit, built 1398 to 1441.

Favorite Dish: I just had a Schnitzel and fries for 8.00 euros, and two glasses of draft beer (Pils vom Fass).

Schnitzel is always a safe thing to order in a place like this, because there's not much they can do to mess it up.

(Well, I could mess it up, but only because of my obsession with multi-tasking. When I'm cooking I always like to check my e-mails or something in the other room, so things keep burning, boiling over, sticking to the bottom or whatever. Take my advice and always loiter around in the kitchen while something is cooking, i.e. do as I say, don't do as I do.)

I also ate here again in 2010, but didn't realize until later that it was the same place.

Zur Goldenen Falken

Gasthaus zum Löwen: Bring some tupperware

by christine.j Written Mar 13, 2008

Again not on the main street in Heidelberg, but in the suburb of Handschuhsheim you can find the Gasthaus zum Löwen - the lion. Once there were some farmers working on their fields in Handschuhsheim, when they heard a lion roar. They were very surprised, of course, but decided to go lion hunting. Armed with their pitchforks they marched off, looking for the lion, only to find out that what they had heard had been a fog horn from a ship on the Neckar. They had to laugh, other teased them about their lion hunt and the lion of Handschuhsheim became known in the area.
    The restaurant has a very good, inexpensive lunch menu and a large general menu, including a good vegetarian section. Some days ago I was there for the first time with some children, and we ordered the kids' menu for them. The Käsespätzle - a sort of maccaroni and cheese - for kids come in a large dish, I don't know any child who could finish them. The same was true for the kids' Schnitzel, quite a lot! If you go there with children, pack a tupperware container and take the most part of it home.
    In summer, you can sit outside in their beergarden.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

KulturBrauerei: Lots of Beer has Passed Through Here....

by ExGuyParis Updated Apr 4, 2011

A traditional Brauhaus, with an outside beer garden in the warm weather. The original brewery was built almost 800 years ago. That's a lot of beer.

Traditional German fare, and a great selection of beers. This is a loud, fun place-- very welcoming for large groups as well.

There is also a hotel, with beautiful rooms in the range of 120 € for a double. See the website for maps and much more information.

Favorite Dish: Beer.

KulturBrauerei in Heidelberg

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Vetter: Brew Pubs and Wurst

by Callavetta Written Feb 20, 2005

Student pubs abound in the Alstadt of Heidelberg. The University has 27,000 students and there are many establishments like this one to keep them, warm, fed, and happy. Food in places like this is relatively cheap.

Favorite Dish: Lorna and her boyfriend Curt enjoyed this Pub's own brew and homemade wurst.

photo courtesy of Lorna Watt

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Street fare: Bratwurst

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 20, 2008

Visiting during the Christmas season is a great way to sample some of the best local foods available. While we were walking around we stopped and had some bratwurst with some gluwhein...how scrumptious!!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed this super large bratwurst with some gluwhein.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Molkenkur: Mountain meal

by Sjalen Updated Nov 22, 2006

On the day we thought of venturing higher up the mountains, they were shrouded in mist. This is why we never tried this place (the single white house on the hill in this picture) but I would be stupid to withold it from you as it is quite famous for being between the Castle and the Kaiserstuhl peak and offering fantastic city views from its terrace. Very crowded in good weather I can imagine, but as it is also historic in the sense that it is buil next to the ruins of Heidelberg's FIRST castle, there's an ever stronger reason to have at least a drink here. Just check that it is not booked up by a wedding party as they are popular here too. The restaurant serves a Sunday brunch which costs double of what we paid in Bonn but hey, it's Heidelberg so it's only to be expected and it does include wine. Have a look at their website below for images in good weather and for contact details. They also have a hotel if you want romantic views...

• Wine Tasting
    • Photography

• Restaurant Simplicissimus: Simply the Best!

by LostmyheartinHD Updated Dec 28, 2003

In the 20 years we lived in Heidelberg, we never found a better special occasion restaurant. It is as good as - or even better than - the finest restaurants in France. Herr Lummer from Switzerland is an expert chef whose culinary skills are matched by his presentation skills. The most delicious beautiful dishes every time! Frau Lummer from France is a gracious hostess who remembers names and your favorite wines.

We suggest that you order one of the fixed price menus - splurge on a four-course and spend several hours in the lovely ambience.

My daughter and I love the fish dishes, but no one who has been with us has ever had a dish that they did not love.

The desserts are exceptional!

Favorite Dish: Every dish has its own character. The sauces are delightful and light. The unique flavors are never over-powering; rather they are subtly distinctive.

Whether you enjoy fish, seafood, beef, game, poultry or even vegetarian, the Lummers won't disappoint you.

Simplicissimus

Hugo: Wine & Dine

by ExGuyParis Updated Feb 5, 2005

Hugo is a wonderful restaurant. There is a huge wine list, covering many countries and price ranges... and the restaurant is remarkably fair in its wine pricing (10 € over retail).

The atmosphere is great... the food is Italian-influenced continental. The staff is friendly, and English is spoken by many. Last week, we had one of the most charming and helpful waitresses ever.

Favorite Dish: Lemon Risoto... awesome! Every meal I have had here has been wonderful. Awesome desserts, as well.

Hugo in Heidelberg: GREAT food!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Hotel Goldener Falke: Great food, great atmosphere....

by Maryimelda Written Oct 16, 2009

This is an outdoor/indoor restaurant attached to the Hotel Goldener Falke on the Market Square. The outdoor area is very popular all day every day and the indoor area is well patronised too. I was staying at this hotel so it seemed the easy option to dine in this restaurant for dinner one night and lunch one day. The food is good German/Austrian fare and the portions are very generous. Prices won't break the bank either. The service is friendly and efficient. I can happily recommend this restaurant even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

Favorite Dish: I had a gorgonzola noodle dish for lunch with a garden salad. I could easily have done without the salad as the noodle dish was big. For dinner I had an old favourite of mine, Jaeger Scnitzel. This one was particularly good and better than any of the Jaeger Schnitzels I had at other places along my way.

Restaurant interior....

Klosterhof Neuburg: Above the Neckar

by christine.j Written Jul 31, 2008

The cloister Neuburg, between Heidelberg and Ziegelhausen, is situated in a beautiful hiking area, hills, meadows, the river below... and a great view. The shop there also runs a little café.
    After a nice hike to the cloister, this is a great spot to rest for a while. In the shop you can get coffee or tea and each day they are freshly baked cakes. It's self-service,you sit outside in the garden and get your food from the shop.
    Prices are very reasonable.

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Sylvie Bar: Don't miss the carrot soup

by Nathalie_B Updated Jan 10, 2004

Thanks to Barbara (chicabonita) we found ourselves in this nice cafe-bar. It is a small place located not far from the castle. We started with beer and then decided that some food would be nice too. The carrot soup was delicious, actually this was the first time I had this kind of soup, and I really enjoyed it. Great choice Barbara! Thanks again.

Sorry, I disturbed the animal again :-)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Vetter Brauerei: World's strongest beer

by Sjalen Updated Nov 13, 2006

In kitan's Beer Guide to Germany, Vetter is mentioned as having had the World's strongest beer entered in Guinness Book of Records in 1994. We happily discovered that Vetter was in the same street as our hotel, so a visit became easy and what a great place! As soon as we sat down we got served and the atmosphere is great, with a mix of tourists and friendly locals. The copper vats are just behind the bar so there is no mistake that you're in a brewery and with the food we tried other beers, but as a dessert kitan ordered the strong stuff. Having had good strong beers in Belgium and awful strong beer elsewhere, I was prepared for anything but it was really nice and had a fruity flavour I did not expect as I am used to the Belgian stuff. Almost like drinking some sort of liquid Christmas pudding.

The food we had was great - being in Germany in autumn means flavours of the forest and I had dumplings in a mushroom sauce which, as you can see in the third picture, came in a wonderful pan. All in all they are very interested in seasonal food here, just as it should be, and if you look at their website you will find various "theme-weeks".

Favorite Dish: Waldschrammel :)

• Beer Tasting

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Cafe Konditorei Knoesel: It's not easy to choose....

by Maryimelda Updated Oct 17, 2009

If it's coffee and cake you are looking for whilst strolling around Heidelberg, you can't go past Cafe Konditorei Knoesel. The choices on offer are so amazing that you can only do the best you can in deciding which one you want. Good friendly service with a smile and I didn't feel it was too expensive. I think I paid 4.40 Euro for coffee and cake.

Favorite Dish: I settled on a tart filled with vanilla custard which I was extremely happy with as it was not too rich.

Don't go past it.....
    • Seniors

Instant Answers: Heidelberg

Comments

Heidelberg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Heidelberg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Heidelberg sightseeing.