Krokodil, Karlsruhe

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Krokodil: Krokodil now hosting Enchilada

by tini58de Updated Nov 1, 2012

Krokodil

The "Krokodil" was everything: coffeehouse, pub, restaurant - a very important meeting-point. It is located in a very old beautiful Art Deco house and you will find just as many people sitting outside facing the Ludwigsplatz.

Unfortunately this place has been sold and now hosts a Mexican type chain restaurant called Enchilada. Not bad, but just not what made the "Krokodil" special to the natives..... The food in the new place is okay, but that is it. I have eaten much better Mexican food for sure!

To cut the matter short: the location is top, the building is fantastic, but the food of the new place is mediocre. Personally I don't think I will go there again!

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Krokodil: VT meeting Place

by nhcram Updated Mar 24, 2012

Krokodil

Krokodil was the venue for our meal on Saturday night when I attended the 3rd Gluhwein meeting and it was an excellent choice. The large pale blue building has more than one eating area inside and you do not feel hemmed in. The service was excellent and the waiter very patient with a non-German speaking person. (moi!)
    One thing I like was that nothing was too much trouble for the waiter and he even split the bills at the end of the evening which is something they do not like doing in the UK.
    The food was served quickly and was of good quality. There is something for everyone. on the menu. Restaurant has now changed hands and name but this tip remains to serve as a reminder of the good time we had there.

Favorite Dish: To start I had the olives and for the main course I had the Weiner Schnizel and salad. Washed down with two bottles of sparkling water I thought the cost was very reasonable indeed.

Instant Answers: Karlsruhe