Karlsruhe Shopping

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Ettlinger Tor Shopping Center

by yumyum Updated Dec 12, 2011

inside shopping center

If it is cold or rainy and you don't fancy walking along the main shopping drag, then you could visit the very new shopping center Ettlinger Tor. This big shopping center has several levels with a good selection of shops and some places for refreshments.

We came here in December 2010 and December 2011 for shopping again and a piece of pizza from La Pizza on the top floor - our favourite snack place in the center :-)

What to buy: anything and everything

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Zoo Shop.: This is for the child that's in you...

by Maurizioago Updated Apr 4, 2011

This small shop is full of items. Most of these are stuffed toy animals of every sizes.

What to buy: As I've said; at Zoo Shop there is a large selection of stuffed toy animals. Moreover you can find t-shirts, umbrellas, wooden statues and more.

What to pay: ...

• irisha's Profile Photo

Stores all over the place: Kaiserstrasse/Ettlinger Tor

by irisha Written Jun 13, 2009

It's a whole street full of stores. Shoes, women's/men's/children's clothes, books, toys, gifts, art, sporting goods. Everything, really. Also check out Einkaufszentrum at Ettlinger Tor, it's an amazingly structured mall (picture).

What to pay: A loooot if you're into shopping.

Tom's Oldie Schallplatten: More records

by pieter_jan_v Updated Feb 14, 2009

Tom's Oldie Schallplatten

Tom's Oldie Schallplatten was the second record shop we visited.

Outside the shp was a large collection of posters on display and the shop did not have the looks of a thrift shop at all.

Inside the place is cramped with records and other collectibles. Items were in a number of ranges, but it was no problem finding some bargains.

Again we found a flexible disc to the surprise of the shop owner.

What to buy: Records.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Strauss Innovation GmbH & Co. KG.: A nice discovery.

by Maurizioago Updated Dec 8, 2008

Strauss Innovation is a shop where you can find clothes, decorations for your house, sweets and other items.

What to buy: I bought a couple of stollen (it is a typical German Christmas cake) and two packets of tea.

What to pay: Strauss Innovations has lots of cheap things on sale. Don't miss it if you like to buy some gifts to take home.

• Business Travel

Ettlinger Tor: 3 stories Shopping Mall

Ettlinger Tor Shopping Mall

The Ettlinger Tor shopping Mall offers everything of a modern mall.

A little hidden behind the old facedes, it's a contrast to find such modern facilities.

Starbucks is present at the entrance and much more modern shops are present (like the Media Markt).

Public Bathrooms are at the top floor, clean and well equipped.

Business hours:

• Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

Echolot: Even more records

Echolot - Karlsruhe

Echolot is a spaceous shop with a small first floor and many records at the lower section.
    CD's and DVD's are also on sale.

Many cheaper items in several boxes on the floor.

At least good for 1 hour of searching.

The 45-ers section is just a few boxes, but these comntained many interesting records.

There's a lot of modern music around.

What to buy: Records

DisCover: Secondhand Vinyl Records

DisCover - Karlsruhe

DisCover was the first shop we visited in Karlsruhe.

The owner welcomed us at the door and assured us there were no flexible discs in his store.
    We just had to proof him wrong.

I went all the way to the back, where the exotic records were located.

We ended up with several boxes of 45-ers and ended up with some nice findings.

The shop has some off the beaten path records, like jazz and Afro music.

What to buy: There's something for everyone.

What to pay: About average prices; I saw nothing overpriced.

Postgalerie: Shopping Mall in the Former Main Post Office

by Kathrin_E Written Jun 16, 2008

Postgalerie and Stephansplatz

The neobaroque building which used to host Karlsruhe's central post office has recently been turned into a shopping mall. The shops in there are more or less the usual chain stores.

Useful: the Saturn (electronics), the Lidl in the basement (discount supermarket), the big Intersport sports store. Besides, the mall contains some cafes and fast-food places.

The little organic food store (Gut zum Leben) is owned and run by one of the most infamous sects which currently operate in Germany - one should know that before shopping there.

An insider tip is the little Italian wine and coffee hut close to the post office.
    Yes, there is still a post office in the Postgalerie!

What to buy: You'll find almost everything in the different shops.

What to pay: About average

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Ettlinger Tor Mall: Something for everyone

by toonsarah Written Jun 16, 2008

Shrub in the Botanical Gardens

I didn’t have time for a lot of shopping in Karlsruhe, but we did check out this large mall, which was only a short walk from our hotel. It has 130 shops with ranging from fashion and accessories, cosmetics, health stores, books and entertainment electronics, cafés and bars etc. We went in the large supermarket on the lower floor, where I bought a tin of Chris’s favourite German food-stuff, sauerkraut.

What to buy: Prices in the supermarket seemed reasonable – I paid just a couple of Euros for my tin of sauerkraut.

I didn’t take any photos here – instead, why not enjoy some more images from the Botanical Gardens!

• DAO's Profile Photo

DM: COSMETICS 5 TIMES CHEAPER

by DAO Updated Jun 4, 2008

I just needed some cheap moisturizer and I thought the best place to go would be a Pharmacy (Apotheke). I could not have been more wrong! The first one the Pharmastist showed me was 23 Euros! The cheapest I asked? 11 Euros. I just had to tell the nice lady I could not afford those prices. Magically she told me to go to ‘dm’. Not DM, but dm. Off I went and I immediately found something better for 1.99 Euros. Fantastic! In fact I noteiced everything in here was much cheape. At least 5 times cheaper on a lot of helath & beauty products. Well done dm people!

Open 8am-8pm Monday - Saturday

• Seniors

• DAO's Profile Photo

ON THE SIDE OF BUILDINGS: NEED SOME CIGARETTES?

by DAO Updated Jun 3, 2008

I don’t read or speak German, but I was starting to think that ‘Karlsruhe’ meant something like ‘City of Cigarette Machines’ or ‘Home of Complete Nicotine Addicts’. Just look at these pictures of cigarette machines. Lots and lots of cigarette machines. They absolutely blight Karlsruhe by the hundreds. If you don’t smoke, you feel guilty walking around. I mean how bad do people need to smoke here? Can locals not hoard some in their own homes or does the Fire Department Emergency Number mean some sort of delivery service here? Enquiring minds want to know!

Yep, 24/7/365(6) availability. Just slide you identification card in to prove your age and some Euro coins. You wander how open to abuse this is, but that’s another tip isn’t it.

Please stay tuned to this Karlsruhe Page.

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Tengelmann supermarket: German beer

by ATLC Updated Jun 3, 2008

Tengelmann supermarket, Karlsruhe-Durlach

On my visit to Karlsruhe I assigned myself one shopping spree... for German beer, so much appreciated by those back home. After all, it was the least I could do for going off to the VT meet on my own :-)
    That's why I took the car to Durlach, taking catnl, Tripack and globetrott with me.
    The receptionist at my hotel referred me to a huge REAL supermarket but my Austrian GPS (read: globetrott) armed with a traditional road map, had me steer onto the motorway instead of into the shopping area, so we had to miss out on that one. Big laughs in the car of course.

Tengelmann is open daily (except Sunday) until 22 pm.

What to buy: However, driving into Durlach we found another smaller supermarket called Tengelmann where I bought a selection of German beers.

What to pay: I paid about € 12,50 for 16 beers (bottled).

• Beer Tasting

Majolika Manufaktur: Majolika - Finest Artistic Pottery

by Kathrin_E Updated Apr 26, 2008

Part of the Majolika Shop

The Majolika Karlsruhe was founded in 1901 by the Grandduke of Baden. The manufacture produces all kinds of ceramics, from useful household items to art, all designed by reputable artists who work there either as employees or temporary. The manufacture claims to be the only one of its kind that is still working with this traditional technique.

See also my Things to do tip on their museum and gallery.

What to buy: Useful things like individual, artistic wine coolers or espresso cups, decorations and sculptures, art, jewellery

What to pay: Quite a bit to a lot. Not cheap!

• Luxury Travel

Farmers' markets in Karlsruhe

by Kathrin_E Updated Mar 28, 2008

Market in Durlach

Visitors who like to prepare their own food instead of eating out all the time or at least like to have some fresh fruit now and then will like the farmers' markets. Here are the best locations and their opening hours:

Stephansplatz (behind Europaplatz/Postgalerie): Mon, Wed, Fri 7.30-14.00

Gutenbergplatz (Weststadt): Tues, Thurs, Sat 7.30-14.00

Gottesauer Platz (Oststadt): Mon, Wed, Fri 7.30-14.00

Durlach, Marktplatz: Mon - Sat 7.30-14.00

Hint: they claim a closing time of 2 p.m., but hardly any merchant stays that long. Come before noon.

My personal favourite is Gutenbergplatz in the Weststadt. The pretty 19th century square (photo yet to be added) becomes the lively meeting point of the whole quarter when the market is open. You'll also find some nice cafes and pubs around the square.

Small markets are open in Marktplatz and Kronenplatz every day but there are just a few stalls.

What to buy: Fruit and veggies, of yourse - watch out for those stalls that don't offer the whole supermarket-like assortment of exotics, these are the local farmers who sell their own products.

Besides, the markets sell bread, meat/sausage, olives and stuff, flowers...

What to pay: The markets are not actually cheaper than the supermarkets and grocery stres. On the other hand, you'll get regional, seasonal products of freshest quality from the local farmers.

Instant Answers: Karlsruhe

Comments

Karlsruhe Shopping

Reviews and photos of Karlsruhe shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Karlsruhe sightseeing.