This villa was built in 1881 to 1884 for a banker named August Schmieder. In 1894 it was bought by Prinz Max von Baden, the last German Imperial Chancellor of Germany.
During WW2 the building suffered from major damages. After its renovation it served temporarily as the seat of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany before they moved to their newly constructed building near the palace. Nowadays it is home of the municipal children's library and the municipal art gallery.