Mannheim Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Mannheim

• Be careful !

by elenapetrevska777 Written Feb 14, 2013

I would really like to suggest you to be careful with people that have some (I don't want to be offensive and say mental), but unusual behaviour.

Today it happened to me that I was driving my bike next to the street, and I saw one older person in front of me. I was trying to avoid him, but as I did, he was following where I was going with a purpose to bump into myself. As I came next to him and almost passed him, he put his leg in front of my bike and he bumped himself from my front tyre. I stopped because otherwise his leg would have been hurt. He started yelling at me so loud, and at the end , he punched me so hard, I cannot believe he did that. And still, I am a women, and I don't know how he could have done that. Even if I was a man. Other people started yelling at him to go away, and he did at the end.

I was really astonished. Negatively, of course.
    I would sugest to any of you to be careful from those people who look somehow strange at the streets. Otherwise, something like my situation can happen.

• Disabilities
    • Cycling
    • Study Abroad

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Oak Procession Spinners

by christine.j Written May 6, 2007

This is a tiny butterfly which used to live much further south but has moved north in the last few years. Once it's a butterfly it's no longer dangerous( except that it then starts reproducing!), but as a caterpillar it is. They love oak trees, but can also be found on other trees or shrubs.
    The caterpillars are very small. Their "nests" look a bit like a spider web.
    The problem is that these tiny caterpillars have even tinier hairs which are poisonous. They can fly through the air, so it's really difficult to so something against them. I caught one in my hair one summer and didn't think twice about it, just brushed it off. The next day I thought I had chickenpox! I was covered by a rash and my arms and legs were itching all over. The doctor had no problem in recognizing the rash, he had seen it too often in the last few years.

Last year, kids from a school got some unexspected days off, because a tree in the school yard has nests of the spinners. The firebrigade had to come and destroy them.

So if you see a shrub or a tree which looks like it's housing a lot of spiders or if you see a lot of tiny caterpillars close together, stay away from them!!

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Ticks here can carry diseases

by christine.j Written Jun 17, 2006

The region around Mannheim is considered to be a high-risk area concerning ticks. This means more than twenty-five people have contracted meningitis by a tick during the time period of five years. In addition, there have been quite a lot of cases of Lyme disease.
    But there is no need to panic.
    Make sure you check your body for ticks after you've been in the parks or the woods and take it off in case you find one. If you haven't got a jab against meningitis, go and see a doctor. If you have, watch your body. When a red circle appears around the place where the tick has bitten, go and see a doctor.Lyme disease can be cured by antibiotics if you take them soon after the bite.

• Hiking and Walking

• UweK's Profile Photo

Dangerous at Night

by UweK Written Jan 17, 2003

Especially for foreigners but even for Mannheimers, you should avoid getting to the so called Jungbusch area at night. This is the red light district.
    Also you should avoid the suburbs of Schönau and Hochstätt. Here live the very poor people and they sometimes have nothing to loose but something to get...

Instant Answers: Mannheim

Comments

Mannheim Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Mannheim warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mannheim sightseeing.