Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide

Schloss Lichtenstein

Schloß Lichtenstein Things to Do

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Updated Nov 24, 2011

I have paid my admission, and have now entered the courtyard, and are passing by an old building covered in Ivy, so nice!
    The Blue/Purple Lobelia is flowering in the window boxes under the criss-crossed glass window's. Against the fairly whitish wall's, the effect is lovely!
    I wandered around, and found quite a few interesting building's, including a Chapel from the 19th century. I loved the wall sculpture's, the turret's and the other building's I found.
    I found area's, where I could look right down into the Valley and see for miles! What a view!

What a lovely Castle, to me, this was the type of fairytale Castle a little girl dreams about.

Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Views from Schloss Lichtenstein

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Updated Nov 24, 2011

When I first saw Lichtenstein Castle I was gob-smacked!
    Here was this Castle, kind of precariously sitting on top of a Cliff! It could have been a smaller version of Neuschwanstein Castle, I really liked what I saw!
    I don't know about you, but when I see a very old Castle like this, it always makes me wonder how they managed to build in such an amazing place, incredible!

This Castle dates back to 1200, has been destroyed twice, once in 1311 and again in 1381 and left to fall into disrepair.
    Luckily, King Frederick 1, built a Hunting Lodge here in 1802, and in 1837, it was passed over to his nephew, Duke Wilhem of Urach. He built the Castle between the years of 1840 and 1842, and it is this one, that I went and saw today. The Castle is still owned by the family.

Built in lovely neo-gothic style it has an extremely high Tower, nice gardens, and a lot of historic weapon's and armoury.
    As I walked towards the Castle, there were some very nice view's for photo's. I entered over a bridge which would have been over a Moat, and through the impressive entrance gate in the heavy wall's to pay my admission fee.

Closed December & January.
    OPEN.......
    Feb - March & November only on weekends from 10 - 4pm
    April - October 9 - 5.30pm

ADMISSION IN 2011.......
    Courtyard...Adults ...2euros.....Children 1 euro
    Guided tour for 30 minutes Adults....6euro....Children ...3 euro
    1 hour tour.....15 euro
    2 hour tour.....25 euro

DO NOT WEAR HIGH HEELS as they damage the wooden floor.

There is a car park about 150 metres from the Castle, and this was where we parked.
    Toilet's are also located here.

Lichtenstein Castle Lichtenstein Castle

• himalia11's Profile Photo

by himalia11 Written Sep 1, 2009

The Nordrand-Weg is a long distance hiking path of around 300 km in the north of the Swabian Alb. It's well signposted by a red triangle. The mostly goes along the so-called "Albtrauf", which is how the steep border of the Swabian Alb in the northwest is called. We came across this hiking path several times, at Lichtenstein castle, in Bad Urach and near Hohenzollern castle, and had always great views. Only it seems you should not be afraid of heights if you go that path!

View from Holzelfingen View from Holzelfingen towards Reutlingen
    • Hiking and Walking

Schloß Lichtenstein Favorites

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo

by JetlagCity Written Apr 29, 2004

Favorite thing: Take a guided tour to see the inside of the castle. It's not extensive, but there's a small room of armor, furnished living quarters, and partial stained/painted glass windows. The castle is above the little town of Honau, and the tour costs about 5 Euros.

In the off-season when we visited, they only offered tours in German, but we had the added benefit of our local friend The Wolfman, who was kind enough to give us a quick translation in English after the tour guide was done talking about each room.

Lichtenstein Castle

Instant Answers: Schloß Lichtenstein

Comments

Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide
Map of Schloß Lichtenstein