Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide

• Things to Do

Schloß Lichtenstein Things to Do

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Updated Dec 30, 2014

When I first saw Schloss Lichtenstein I was gob-smacked!
    I was looking at a Schloss sitting precariously on top of a Cliff in the Swabian Alps! It could have been a smaller version of Neuschwanstein Castle, I really liked what I saw!
    I don't know about you, but when I see a very old Schloss like this, it always makes me wonder how they managed to build in such an amazing place, incredible!

Schloss Lichtenstein is a historicist castle built in the 19th century.

The first Schloss built on the site dates back to 1200. The castle was rebuilt then destroyed twice, once in 1311 and again in 1381 and left to fall into disrepair. Luckily, King Frederick 1, built a Hunting Lodge here in 1802, and in 1837, it was passed over to his nephew, Duke Wilhem of Urach. He built Schloss Lichtenstein between the years 1840 and 1842, this one is still standing and the one I saw today. The Schloss is still owned by the family.

Built in lovely neo-gothic style, it has an extremely high Tower, nice gardens, and a lot of historic weapons and armoury.
    As I walked towards the Schloss's impressive entrance gate to pay my admission fee, I found some very nice views for photo's. I entered the Schloss over a bridge which would have been over a Moat.

We arrived too close to closing time even to take one of the short guided tours. These are not long, the basic tour is only 30 minutes. Your taken to the first floor to see the armoury, medieval paintings and a small chapel known for its 15th and 16th century glass, then to the second floor to what is described as "the biggest and most beautiful room of the castle, the knight’s hall, " This is a large panelled room with painted ceiling, medieval furniture and many coats of arms. The tour ends with a look of the famous painting of the "Archer of Lichtenstein.“
    This link will take you to the Schloss Lichtenstein gallery

I wished I lived closer as I would be back!

Closed December & January.
    OPEN.......
    Feb - March & November only on weekends from 10 - 4pm
    April - October 9 - 5.30pm

Please check this link which is on the webpage listed below for current admission prices

DO NOT WEAR HIGH HEELS as they damage the wooden floor.

There is a car park about 150 metres from the Castle, this was where we parked.
    Toilets are also located here.

The website has a photo of it in the snow - Wow! It would be lovely to see then!

Lichtenstein Castle Lichtenstein Castle

• balhannah's Profile Photo

by balhannah Updated Nov 24, 2011

I have paid my admission, and have now entered the courtyard, and are passing by an old building covered in Ivy, so nice!
    The Blue/Purple Lobelia is flowering in the window boxes under the criss-crossed glass window's. Against the fairly whitish wall's, the effect is lovely!
    I wandered around, and found quite a few interesting building's, including a Chapel from the 19th century. I loved the wall sculpture's, the turret's and the other building's I found.
    I found area's, where I could look right down into the Valley and see for miles! What a view!

What a lovely Castle, to me, this was the type of fairytale Castle a little girl dreams about.

Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Schloss Lichtenstein Views from Schloss Lichtenstein

• himalia11's Profile Photo

by himalia11 Written Sep 1, 2009

The Nordrand-Weg is a long distance hiking path of around 300 km in the north of the Swabian Alb. It's well signposted by a red triangle. The mostly goes along the so-called "Albtrauf", which is how the steep border of the Swabian Alb in the northwest is called. We came across this hiking path several times, at Lichtenstein castle, in Bad Urach and near Hohenzollern castle, and had always great views. Only it seems you should not be afraid of heights if you go that path!

View from Holzelfingen View from Holzelfingen towards Reutlingen
    • Hiking and Walking

Schloß Lichtenstein Favorites

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo

by JetlagCity Written Apr 29, 2004

Favorite thing: Take a guided tour to see the inside of the castle. It's not extensive, but there's a small room of armor, furnished living quarters, and partial stained/painted glass windows. The castle is above the little town of Honau, and the tour costs about 5 Euros.

In the off-season when we visited, they only offered tours in German, but we had the added benefit of our local friend The Wolfman, who was kind enough to give us a quick translation in English after the tour guide was done talking about each room.

Lichtenstein Castle

Instant Answers: Schloß Lichtenstein

Comments

Schloß Lichtenstein Travel Guide
Map of Schloß Lichtenstein