Personal Memories and Impressions, Stuttgart

Know about this? Rate It!

Do the Hustle!
    by hunterV
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Hauptbahnhof Adventure!

by lmkluque Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Unusual sculptures were displayed at the Hauptbahnhof and after storing my bags in a locker, I studied the art work.

One can linger at a bahnhof too long. I found out the hard way. A man approached and asked for money. I said, in English, 'I don't speak German.' It was the politest response I could think of.

He just wandered off. Several other men asked for money or invited me for a drink. Each time I patiently responded, 'I don't speak German.'

Fondest memory: While organizing the train schedule to Vienna I included a full day stop in Stuttgart to visit two friends, Kirstan and Dagmar. The train arrived early, 0600 so I first had breakfast at the train station,---am not recommending the food at this restaurant--then I called the girls to say I had arrived. Their father answered, he doesn't speak English and I don't speak German. I managed to say, 'Linda Hauptbahnhof.'

He told me, in German, that Kirsten was at work and Dagmar was at school. Obviously, I'd have to wait a while.

Around noon, after several hours of memorizing the Art Work, I felt hungry. Since I wasn't going to give the restaurant, at the train station, a second chance, I ventured out of the station for a bit. My first stop was, of course, a restaurant. I'll tell you more about Stuttgart in the other sections.

Back at the Hauptbahnhof: I had returned, hoping to meet with Kirstan and Dagmar. I made another call and again got only the father, left another brilliant message and continued to explore the bahnhof. It isn't a large one so didn't take up much time, therefore, I spent hours sitting on the base of the impressive sculptures, being approached by many men (Studs of Stuttgart,) who either wanted to buy me a drink or take my money so they could drink alone!

Yes, Kirsten, Dagmar and their mother arrived--just before my train to Vienna left at 2100! They apologized for coming so late, Father forgot to give them the five messages I left! It was good to see them again, we had a nice visit. Worth the adventurous waiting .

• Adventure Travel

• hunterV's Profile Photo

TV Tower

by hunterV Updated Jul 6, 2008

TV tower

Favorite thing: Why not visit the TV tower built in 1956 and ride up the elevator to the top where you can have a wonderful view of the city from the observation platform at 152 m high and have tea or coffee afterwards in the cafe downstairs.

Fondest memory: Visit to the TV tower

• Business Travel

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

A Nice Family Atmosphere

by keeweechic Updated Aug 31, 2003

Fondest memory: I have fond memories of Stuttgart because of the family I was staying with. I first of all surprised them by catching an earlier train and had them in a panic when I called from the train to say I was on my way.. they had a long drive into Stuttgart to meet me. I really didn't mind sitting and waiting. When they arrived, I told them of my ordeal in Prague (having my wallet stolen) and they decided to take me for a drink at a pub near the station before we headed home.

Claudia was the sister of a neighbour of mine in Singapore. Her husband Hans and mother Pauline were all so great to me when I stayed with them (and I was pretty stressed out when I arrived).

Little Daria (4yrs) their daughter, couldn't speak much English but she would babble on in German to me as if I understood. Hans was great showing me around Stuttgart. He got lost driving to Ludwigsburg Palace, it started snowing and we were running out of petrol. We had to divert back to the University to let his students know he was going to be late. They thought it was a huge joke and I'm sure never let him live it down. Hans with his great attempt at English, got everything back to front. He told me we were going up an escalator when we were actually going down. It was freezing that day but we had a lot of fun. It was hard to remember to take photos because I was so cold.

Pauline tried to fatten me up with wonderfully rich German cake when she took me to Bad Urach. Both she and Claudia thought I was totally mad when I said I wanted to climb Ulm Munster Cathedral and then laughed when I could hardly stand when I came down. They introduced me to some wonderful restaurants and hospitality. You were the loveliest people and I Thank you all.

• Football from high up

by sabsi Updated Sep 12, 2002

Fondest memory: Being on top of the TV Tower at night, when down in the stadium next to it the 'Stuttgarter Kickers' were playing.
    It was 1-1 when we got up and when we went down again 15 minutes later it was 3-2. It was funny watching them play from up there and hearing the people shout.

• go to Koenigstrasse, eat in a...

by peterw Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: go to Koenigstrasse, eat in a swabian restaurant, e.g. Stuttgarter Stäffele, visit the Schloßgarten, Bärenschlößle, Birkenkopf and the vine yards, e.g. Uhlbach,
    in the East of Stuttgart.

Fondest memory: the mixture of nature and city and the hills and mountains

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Saturday night munchies

by orlikins Updated Sep 26, 2002

Do the Hustle!

Favorite thing: Get a proper turkish kebab on Saturday night, everyone hangs out around the kebab stands and it's great craic :)

Fondest memory: John & Leah in Feuersee - see for yourself. :)

Instant Answers: Stuttgart