Places to eat in Stuttgart

Most Viewed Restaurants in Stuttgart

• antistar's Profile Photo

Cafe Konigsbau: Coffee on the Konigsbau

by antistar Written Nov 3, 2004

With its location in the Konigsbau itself, this cafe makes a great location for an outdoor coffee, even in November. You can watch as the mass of shoppers pass by in front of you, silhouetted against the Neues Schloss in the background. The service on my visit was very slow, due to there only being two waiters/waitresses to serve about two dozen tables. It took nearly 3/4 hour to be served, but only three minutes to drink the coffee when it arrived.

Prices are a little higher than usual, but acceptable for the prime location.

• JimKnopf's Profile Photo

Sydney's: Australian Bar and Restaurant

by JimKnopf Updated Mar 22, 2004

Sydney's have very good food. Emu, crocodile, shark, turkey and other good things. Good wine and beer. Very nice ambiance. Not so special? - The price.
    Yesterday I was again there, I only can commend it. But before you go there book a table. If you don't book it will run the risk to sit at the bar or can't have dinner there.

Favorite Dish: Ned Kelly

• Business Travel
    • Cruise

• antistar's Profile Photo

Cortijo: Spanish Tapas Bar/Restaurant

by antistar Updated Oct 14, 2013

I came upon this Spanish tapas bar and restaurant on Nadlerstrasse, after wandering around hopelessly with a full bladder and an empty stomach. I was in this state because I'd spent an hour searching for the Iden restaurant on Eberhardstrasse, as recommended to me by the Rough Guide to Germany, only to find it inexplicably closed when I eventually found it. I swear the Rough Guide is years out of date.

Not to worry, though, as chance took me to Cortijo. The waiter at the door, who looked uncannily like Antonio Banderas. He was watching me stand between his restaurant and another, but with a look on his face more like he wanted to help me than give me the hard sell for his restaurant. Without prompting I asked him if he spoke English, and in perfect English he informed me that there was no language other than German that he spoke. After much laughter I was sold, but he insisted that I see the English language menu before I sat myself down, just in case there was nothing that I wanted.

I picked the Spanish omelette, and chose a seat at the bar to people watch as they made my dinner. The place was hopping, and there were plenty of Spanish voices to be heard, and mostly from the customers rather than the staff. The food that passed me by looked amazing, and I was salivating by the time tortilla arrived. I was not to be disappointed, as it was fantastic. I had to eschew the complimentary bread, to make sure there was as much room as possible to stuff every last bit of the main dish into my stomach. At only 8.80, including a bottle of my favourite San Pellegrino mineral water, it was a veritable bargain. I left a good tip.

Tip: click on the Anfahrt link at the bottom of the Cortijo's website, linked below, for a map.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Alte Kanzlei: Great Swabian Food

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 23, 2008

Sarah and I were looking for a nice restaurant for our last night with her best friend Angela (adawn412) in town. Without doing much research on the topic, I randomly asked the Europcar rental guy which restaurant he would recommend in Stuttgart. He gave us three suggestions, but recommended Alte Kanzlei highest. We strolled the 10 minute walk from the main train station to the Schlossplatz where the restaurant was located, and sure enough his directions were impeccable.
    With torches lit outside, and a rather swank look about the place, we were concerned this meal would be a little over budget, so we looked at the menu before entering. Nothing too out of line for the meal, so we went in. Modern setting was an interesting ambiance to a building that was built so long ago. Table seating without a reservation took only a couple minutes, and we were sat in the quieter section past the bar where it appeared alot of couples were out for a romantic dinner.
    I started with the Malteser Hefeweissen, which hit the spot after a long day travelling. The three of us then looked at the menu and decided we may have to go family style on this meal, as we each wanted to try the Kasespaetzle (cheese noodles) and at least two of us wanted the roast as well. Sarah and I split the opening salat, and then enjoyed splitting the two entrees. The roast was cooked perfectly, with enough of its roasting juices on the plate to be sopped up with the potatoes. The onions which topped the roast were absolutely phenomenal, probably the best onions I have ever had with a piece of meat! The Kasespaetzle was also delicious, with enough cheese to noodle ratio that every bite had a portion of each. Pieces of bread were offered, and used for additional sopping of my plate, wanting to make sure none of the juice was wasted!
    Overall, I would highly recommend this place, as it was delicious and the service was excellent.

• Luxury Travel

Glass Pavilion at the Opera House

by Nemorino Updated Oct 28, 2004

Here’s a tasteful (in my opinion) combination of old and new architecture, the pavilion of the Stuttgart Opera. It was designed in the 1980s by the architect Gottfried Böhm.

Inside there is a large round counter where you can get something to drink or eat before the opera or during the intermission. (See previous tip.)

Access is from the foyers at the first and second balcony levels.

• Architecture
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

Café Künstlerbund: After the opera

by Nemorino Updated Jul 12, 2006

This is where we went after the opera recently.

The name Künstlerbund means "Artists' Federation" and the café is on the first floor (one flight up) of the Kunstgebäude (Art Building) on Schloßplatz, just a couple minutes' walk from the opera house.

We had a nice midnight snack of prawns and saffron rice, and a long conversation.

Open daily from 9.00 to 1.00 the next morning, but they were very nice about letting us sit around a bit longer than that.

Weather permitting, they also have a nice sidewalk café out front.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Refreshment counter in the opera house

by Nemorino Updated Nov 21, 2004

Here is part of Stuttgart's solution to the age-old problem of getting hundreds of people their drinks in just a few minutes at the beginning of the intermission in the opera house. Of course you can also get a drink or a snack here before the opera begins.

This round counter at the level of the first balcony (I. Rang) is in a new round glassed-in pavilion at the Stuttgart Opera House. (Photo taken from one flight higher, looking more or less straight down.)

See the next tip for a view of this pavilion from the outside.

• Architecture
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Tascaria Maredo: A good restaurant with a funny atmosphere

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Aug 31, 2008

Tascaria Maredo is located along Königstrasse, the commercial street of Stuttgart, just few meters from the Schloss Platz. Here you can taste Spanish, Mediterranean and German dishes in a friendly and good atmosphere. All served with a good local beer.

Favorite Dish: To eat in this restaurant was a good experience. As starter I tried a very good tomato soup served with whipped cream. As main dish I can suggest Hüftsteak (Hip steak) (180 g) finely grained with pepper souce, aromatic herbs and chips. Very good were also Hamburger (200 g) with French potatoes and grained tomatoes.
    As dessert I tried a delicious Crêpes Argentina: two Crêpes, filled with cheese cream creme and raisins, with Argentinan caramel sauce " Dulce de Leche ". Another fantastic dessert is Apfelstrudel: stove-warm apple strudel, serves with warm vanilla ice cream.

• suubi's Profile Photo

Miscellenious: Stuttgart international

by suubi Written Oct 14, 2002

Don´t miss the international side of Stuttgart comprising of African restaurants among others. "Makamba" offers a very african atmosphere and ambience. The chairs and tables are all original as well as the music in the background.

Favorite Dish: Chapati bread served on a large round plate with different kinds of meat and vegetables.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Speisemeisterei: Haute Cuisine in a castle

by AndreSTGT Updated Feb 1, 2006

This is Stuttgart's poshest and most renowned restaurant, highly-decorated with two Michelin stars. It's located in a stately castle in the suburb of Hohenheim and the dining room is sumptuous splendour taken to new heights. The service is predictably perfect and so is the food, mostly French haute cuisine with subtle attempts at fusion. Set meals cost between 69€ for 3 courses and 135€ for 8 courses which can be chosen from the a-la carte menu. Not exactly cheap, of course, but in this case one has to consider cooking an artform and the chef being the artist who sells his oeuvres.
    While i thoroughly enjoy enjoy the food at such establishments i usually find the atmosphere a bit stifling, too formal for my taste, but that's the only complaint i have, apart from that everything was perfect.

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Sophie's Brauhaus: Local Brewery in Stuttgart

by TomInGermany Updated May 31, 2013

We visited Sophie's Brauhaus for lunch on a cold and rainy Saturday before heading over to Stuttgart's Spring Festival (Fruhlingsfest). The brewery restaurant is located in a pedestrian area and was a little hard to find as was finding a place to park. The beer and the food made up for this inconveniencey but I don't plan on making a special trip back there because of the limited parking.

Anyway, the food was very tasty and the menu selection was extensive. The locally-brewed beer (I had the Helles) was pretty good.

If you are interested in seeing more of my posts on German brewery restaurants please check out my Germany travel page.

Favorite Dish: Try one of their Maultashen dishes. These are large pasta squares that are a specialty of the Stuttgart area. At least that seems to be the only place I find them on the menu.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Wielandshöhe: Amazing views

by AndreSTGT Updated Feb 1, 2006

Stuttgart's second restaurant belongs to one of Germany's most famous chefs, but my opinion on this place is somewhat abiguous. The restaurant is located on a hill above the city centre surrounded by greenery and old villas, the dining room is lovely and the views are amazing, but the food was a bit disappointing considering the reputation (and the prices) of this establishment. Not that it was bad, it was simply a bit bland and uncreative to justify spending so much money on it. Service and atmosphere were both impeccable.
    Set Meals between 68-98€

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

Spaghettiss'simo: Keep it a secret...

by IceBear7 Updated Jan 21, 2005

A great place in the city center with huge pizzas and low prices! Big menu with "normal" prices but special offers every week.
    My pizza was 3.97 euro and the special dessert only 1.51 euro.

fantastic place! not that fancy but great for a dinner among friends.

Favorite Dish: pizza with spinach

• Kurtiemon's Profile Photo

Stäffele: Authentic German Food

by Kurtiemon Updated Apr 4, 2011

Stäffele is locaed down a side street and looks rather small. Once inside you feel like your somewhere else. The food is great and by far the best authentic German food I had during my (2) weeks in Stuttgart.

• Business Travel

• barbskie's Profile Photo

The Wienerwald: Enjoy hendl menus....

by barbskie Updated Mar 8, 2005

Just at the Main Street, good food, its simplicity is combined with its beatiful interior decorations similar to real Vienna Patios. A familyfriendly restaurant with a reasonable prices. Also offers a take away service.

Favorite Dish: I'ved tried their Hendl breast bedded with asian vegetables. Very fine and quite recommendable for those who wants to keep their ideal BMI. Hmmmm real yummy!

Stuttgart Hotels

Inter City Hotel
Latest: Jan 22, 2014
Hotel Azenberg

Instant Answers: Stuttgart

Comments

Stuttgart Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Stuttgart locals.
Map of Stuttgart