Deleted text on Barbara’s request
though it had a link
You can watch my 6 min 50 sec HD Video Ulm Minster in 2009 HD out of my Youtube channel.
In the 14th to the 19th century, the wine yard was an important commercial centre, due to the wine-trade.
Its chapel survived until 1612. After this, the earlier “Small Oath House” ('Schwörhäusle'), which was built on a palace tower, was replaced by an “Oath House”. After being damaged by fire, the house was re-built in 1785.
11 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Tuesday - Sunday)
Another significant church is the Holy Trinity Church (Dreifaltigkeitskirche).
Martin Bantzenmacher built the “Haus der Begegnung” as a church of the Holy Trinity in 1616-21. The late renaissance building with an onion-domed tower was built on the site of a Dominican Cloister (1351) that had to be abandoned in 1531, due to the Reformation of Ulm.
Heinrich Seuse (Suso), the great German mystic and author spent his last years (1348-66) here.
After being extensively damaged in 1944, it was no longer used as a church. Following re-building and renovation, the “Haus der Begegnung” has been used for numerous events since 1984
Georgskirche (Saint George's Catholic church) was built in 1902-1904 by Maximilian and Carl Anton Meckel. It situated on Beethovenstr. 1.
You can watch my high resolution photo of Ulm on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 48° 24' 9.81" N 9° 59' 50.44" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Saint George's Catholic church.
The Dolphin (Delphin-Brunnen) situated to the South of the Minster. With its numerous fountains crossing over each other it can claim to be one of the most attractive fountains in Ulm.
It was built mainly in 1585. The particular fascination of this fountain, with its complex structure, stems from the 52 inter-crossing jets of water and the reflections of the wet metal. From the trophy-like centrepiece, eight dolphins cast in bronze sweep out to the edge of the basin. The eight, water-spouting, bronze masks reply from five thinner jets. Additional, irregular jets of water intersperse with this strictly geometric water display.
The charming “water display” of this fountain is particularly attractive when floodlit at night.
The “Fischkasten” or “Syrlin fountain” – such are the names for Ulm market’s fountain next to the “Rathaus” – is the oldest preserved fountain in Ulm.
The name “Fischkasten” originates from the use of the fountain by the fishermen of Ulm, who sold their freshly caught fish here.
The master sculptor who built the fountain, Jörg Syrlin the elder of Ulm, engraved his full name, his signature and the year, 1482, above one of the knights. The three original figurines of the knights can be seen in Ulm Museum.
The Lions Fountain (Löwenbrunnen) was built before the 17th century, it shows a single column supporting a double lion, which has an imperial eagle on the one side and Ulm´s shield on the other.
Due to damage in the 2nd World War and the re-designing of the Minster Square, its location was changed several times until it was erected at its current site in 1992.
The original column can now be seen in Ulm Museum.
In 1349 the Butchers Tower (Metzgerturm) was integrated into Ulm´s fortifications.
The 'leaning tower of Ulm” is 36 meters high and leans 2.05 meters in a north-westerly direction. This is not quite so much as its “big brother”, the leaning tower of Pisa (this slopes by 5.1°, the Metzgerturm by only 3.3°), but it is nonetheless quite considerable.
Ulm´s Town hall (Rathaus) is situated not far from the Minster and is easily recognised by its opulently painted, early renaissance façade. The oldest part of the present building, the main South East building, was built in 1370 as a “new trading house”. It is first mentioned as a town hall in 1419.
The ornamental astronomical clock was installed around 1520. The lavish exterior murals were extended to the older part of the building and didactically illustrate virtues, commandments and vices.
The paintings visible today originate from the year 1900 when the previous paintings, which had been largely destroyed by the weather, were restored or renewed in the sprit of the surviving remains.
Ulm Minster was begun in the Gothic era and not completed until the 19th century. It is the tallest church in the world, and the 4th tallest structure built before the 20th century, with a steeple measuring 161.5 metres.
In 1377 the foundation stone was laid. The planned church was to have three naves of equal height, a main spire on the west and two steeples above the choir. In 1392 Ulrich Ensingen was appointed master builder. It was his plan to make the western church tower the tallest spire, which it remains in the present day.
For the best panorama of Ulm's old town, cross the Donau bridge over to the Neu-Ulm side and go for a walk along the river. There is a foot and bike path along the river bank opposite the old town. A wonderful spot for taking photos. Turn right after crossing the bridge (or, if you are coming from the Neu-Ulm side, turn left before the bridge.)
No great old German town would be complete without some wood-timbered houses and Ulm has quite a few clustered around a small neighborhood called the Fischerviertal and where would a Fisherman's Quarter be located but on the water. Most noted of these timeless structures is the Schiefes Haus which certainly seems like one of the most crooked houses in the world and attracts many tourists and their cameras trying to capture it. A stroll in this area is a must even though assume you will not be doing this alone unless you go out very early morning.
Much like most old towns in Germany, Ulm has an impressive Rathaus or Town Hall. Though it dates back to 1320, it was given a major facelift in the 16th century when colorful murals and an astronomical clock were added. Unfortunately, the building suffered major damage from bombing during WWII. It has been masterfully restored and acts as one of the town's main attractions.
While many people might argue that the Ulmer Münster's interior could never match its overpoweringly large exterior this is just not the case. If anything, it seems even larger from within and secondly it is a perfect blend of spectacle and simplicity. While not overdone like those of the Bavarian Baroque variety, Ulmer Münster takes its power from large strokes like the immense vaulted ceiling flanked by sky-reaching Gothic entrances. Huge intricate stained glass windows add colorful and shed light on the stunning statures that adorn the central pillars. The carved oak pews are particularly impressive and amongst the most famous of the Gothic period. Though miraculously spared by the ravages of bombing, iconoclasts destroyed not only the main altar but also the church's original organ. The replacement was the biggest organ in the world for many years and is most famous as having been played by Mozart in 1763.
Believe it or not, not everyone that travels to Ulm does so to check out their two exemplary breweries. Some crazed tourists go to view the tallest church in the world: The Ulmer Münster! It's not even a cathedral since they never had a bishop's seat but lo and behold, taller than the somewhat more famous but still shorter cathedral in Cologne. In fact, prior to the 20th century, this baby was the fourth tallest man-made structure in the world after the Eiffel Tower, Italy's Mole Antonelliana and the Washington Monument until came along a decade later.
The foundation of the massive church dates back to 1377 and work on its tallest tower halted at 100m in 1543 due to various economic, religious and political factors. Construction resumed in 1817 with its eventual completion in 1890. Miraculously enough, though most of the old town was destroyed during WWII bombings, the formidable church was scarcely damaged.
The steeple still rises over all of Germany at 161.5m with views of the Alps on a clear day. Well, you have to shell out €4 and more importantly climb its 768 steps for the privilege. We didn't even give it a thought since the fog was as thick as pea soup. Okay, a slight exaggeration but it was definitely not a clear day and it's unlikely you could see much beyond the city limits. Maybe worth €4 but not the climb. ;)