Weinheim Local Customs

The Shards and debri equate good luck
    by keida84
    Toilet Throw for Good Luck!!
    Where's the Gold?

Most Recent Local Customs in Weinheim

• keida84's Profile Photo

So Long Farwell Aufweidsein Good Bye!

by keida84 Updated Jul 9, 2005

a Weinheim View

I don't know if this is custom to all folks who live in Germany but in Weimheim and the surrounding areas whever we departed from friends or even a friendly shop clerk we were regaled by the word, " Tschuess" I am not sure how to spell it really, but I loved hearing it said when people parted company.

Tschuess!

Apfelwein, a local favorite

by keida84 Updated Jul 9, 2005

Apfelwein

Before I left for Germany I did a bit of reading about things that were different from US culture. One thing I came across was "Apfelwein" or "Apple wine" Apfelwein is mostly found in the Frankfurt Am Main region with Weinheim being a part of it.

Everyone warned me how bitter it is. Nonetheless, I still wanted to try it. It is usually kept in a ceramic pitcher but now, through the miracle of bottlling, it can be easily found at the grocery store.

Fast forward to a family bar-b-que, they bring out the Apfelwein, I take a sip, *bleech* it is not palatable. The next thing I see is our host pouring himself a glass and then addding Coca Cola!! You have got to be kidding me, Coke and Apfelwein? Get me a glass, I have got to try this................Oh my, that is delicious. I would never have thought of that in a million years. So, the next time you have Apfelwine, try it mixed with Coca Cola (it's the real thing!)

• Wine Tasting

Wedding Wishes Fall From The Sky

by keida84 Written Jul 6, 2005

Luft balloons carry special wishes

We were given a postcard that had the bride & groom's address on it. We were to fill out what kind of favor or small token we would bestow upon them. Then we tied these postcard to luft balloons and the bride and groom cut the strings at they floated away into the sky.

Hopefully someone will find the message and mail it as the card indicates. If the card you filled out is received by the bride and groom then you are beholden to render the small gift, token or service you wrote about on the card. Let's say, you promised to house sit and take care of the cat the next time they went away.

I wonder how many people will take the time to mail the card? It seems like such a neat idea!

Kaffee und Kuchen

by keida84 Updated Jul 6, 2005

There were 1000s of cakes!

Oh man, this was my very favorite time of the day...15:00 (3 pm). All the cafes' put out clap boards offerring their deal for Kaffee und Kuchen.....Coffee and Cake!! $2.50 Euros. What a deal!

cake is usually served but it can be more like pastry or sweet rolls, struedel and other gastronomic delights! It is similar to that of the English Tea Time.

At a German wedding ceremony directly following is a champagne toast and then go on to the reception where kaffee and kuchen (cake) is served...PRIOR to dinner!! Not just the wedding cake but people brought a number of homemade treats: Lindsor Torte, Marzipan cake, ooh the list goes on and on.

There are just too many excellent bakeries in Weinheim. The bread is simply beyond belief it is so good.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Bucket of Coal Yields Money!

by keida84 Written Jul 6, 2005

Where's the Gold?

I was sitting at the table in the assigned seat when lo and behold, the Best man, Walter presented the Bride and Groom with a bucket which appeared to be filled with flowers. As Walter removed the flowers a bucket full of charcoal appeared from the depths below. Vas est dis?

In some of the smaller European cultures a bucket of coal was given so the newlyweds could heat their home but scatter throughout the charcoal was some money. Well our bride declined to search through the messy charcoal so Hansi was stuck by himself until his two small nephews decided to pitch it. Hansi's Tante saved the day by providing Hansi with plastic gloves.

Seems like a lot of work and a lot of mess to clean up for a few dollars, but everyone was laughing and having a good time while watching Hansi riffle thorough the charcoal.

A Custom To Help One Start Off A New School Year

by keida84 Updated Jul 5, 2005

Schueltuetens

I saw these cones while shopping one day. Bright and multi-colored, in varied sizes and some even are emblazoned with Barbie and her friends,and of course, my favorite, the fire fighter cone.

I asked my niece what are these for? She told me that they were "Schueltueten" or "Candy Cones". These cones are given on the first day of school (not only for the small children but now given to anyone who is embarking on their first day of school).

It was the custom to have the parents and the Godparents of the child present as he or she marked their first day of school. The cones were filled with candy, school supplies and cash (the paper kind, not coin).

When I asked my family and frineds if they had ever received ine, they all responded favorably and showed me pictures of them on their first day of school with their "Schueltuetens".

I think it is a charming custom and I wish we had them when I was growing up!!

Polterabend

by keida84 Updated Jul 5, 2005

Toilet Throw for Good Luck!!

A Polterabend means, "Noisy or loud party" and that is exactly what happened at a "Polterabend" for our bride and groom.

The people brought all sorts of crockery to throw on the ground. The shards represent the luck the bride and groom will share. The bride and groom must also sweep and pick up the broken crockery together. This symbolizes the work that they will share as partners.

At the Polterabend I attended people brought a toilet, a sink stand and a sink basin to throw for the bride and groom. What a pile of luck they had when the party goers were through throwing the crockery!

At the "Polterabend" there is a great deal of food (usually brought pot luck style), lots and lots of beer (bier), much singing and socializing. A money box is set up and people put in various amounts of money for the bride and groom. Most of these parties last well into the wee hours of the morning.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Weinheim

Comments

Weinheim Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Weinheim local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Weinheim sightseeing.