Weinheim Shopping

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Weinhaus Puppel: Excellent local wine

by christine.j Updated Sep 29, 2011

Update September 2011:
    In the meantime I have eaten there several times and must say, the food they serve is just as good as the wine they sell!

Is this a restaurant where you can also buy wine? Or a winestore where you can also eat? I wasn't sure, but as I've bought many bottles of wine there and have never eaten there, I decided to make it shopping tip.
    At some of the wineries you're supposed to buy cases of six bottles, here in the Weinhaus Puppel you can buy just one bottle. They have a very large selection of good wine, better than the average supermarket . It's also one of the few places where you can buy local wines, many of whom are not sold in the supermarkets.If you're not sure which one to take, you can taste the wine first. The owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Prices vary of course, the ones I usually buy are seven or eight Euro a bottle, too expensive for a simple dinner wine, but a very good price for a special occasion.
    In summer people can sit outside and eat, in winter it's more crowded, as there are only a few tables inside. So maybe it really is a winestore in the first place.

• Wine Tasting

• keida84's Profile Photo

Beltz Book Handlers (Buch Handlung): Sample the Local BookStore Flavors

by keida84 Written Jul 6, 2005

Water Sculpture Near the Bookstore

Located in a little mini mall, the Beltz Book Handlers have very reasonable prices on their books. They also carry a lot of history books on the town of Weinheim. Sally had shown me her copy of "Die Stadt Weinheim" which traced the history of Weinheim during the war years--WWII.

I wanted a copy to bring home for Paul, so we came to the store and I was so estatic they carried it and for a very low price!

What to buy: This is a great bookstore as they carry a lot of books and magazines that are closely affiliated with the town of Weinheim. I also wanted to bring home the calendars of 2006, but they were not in yet, but they offered to ship them to me here in the states.

What to pay: For this phenomenal book I paid just $15 euros!

• Business Travel

• keida84's Profile Photo

Lia Collection: A Very Special Shop!

by keida84 Written Jul 6, 2005

Lia Collections Store Front

On a blustery, rainy day in Weinheim we were making our way from the Wienheim Marketplatz. I suddenly saw something twinkle in the store window of this lovely shop.

It was a cloissienne necklace and earring sets which would match Kris' dress she was wearing to the wedding perfectly.

We entered the store and a man came forward to help us as we began to look at the rest of what he had for sale. He told me the price of the earrings and necklace, which I could not purchase in the states for that amount, so I told him I would take it. I did my best to coyly (in German) let him know that it was a gift for Kris. He winked at me and proceeded to wrap the gift.

Then, he asked if we were from out of town, Kris and I both said yes we were. He stopped what he was doing and walked over to the display case and took out 2 bracelets and put them on our wrists, he looked at me in the eye and said, he wanted to share these with us, as they protect from the "evil eye" and that he was so touched that we came to his store after such a long journey!

We were blown away! The gentleman told us he was from Turkey and that we spoke good German (well, Kris does!!) I speak "SpermGermlish" which is a cross of Spanish, German and English! Ja, es muy bien, dontcha think?

What to buy: I bought a dual sided change purse because the Euro has only one and two dollar coins, and I purchased Kris' wedding jewelry for her.

What to pay: Well below $45.00 (Euro) for everything.

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Weinheim

Comments

Weinheim Shopping

Reviews and photos of Weinheim shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Weinheim sightseeing.