Personal Memories and Impressions, Berlin

Know about this? Rate It!

• Personal Memories and Impressions
  • Personal Memories and Impressions

by croisbeauty Written Mar 26, 2006

Berliner Bear

Favorite thing: One of the first thing, you noticed when strolling around, are this big bear statues spread all over the town. Each of the statues is unique, coloured in different colours and vivid and funny motifs. Bear is the emblem of Berlin and its trade-mark. As I was told by the locals, in 2001 the city authorities have engaded artists from all over the world in order to coloured this bears. One of this, head down, stands even in the front of prestigues Berliner Hilton.

Ost Berlin, very depressing place

by croisbeauty Updated Mar 28, 2006

the ugly side of Berlin

Favorite thing: All of this pictures I've took through the taxi glass window, in ariving and departing the city of Berlin. Both days were cold and gloomy which made this scenes even more depressing. Ectually, I haven't stroll around Eastern part of the city nither I went to see what was once the famous Berlin wall. The walls are, in my opinion, built by narrow minded people, those who have walls in their own brains, those who are full of limitations and evil. Nothing could me convinced to visit such a place, no thanks.

Fondest memory: I strongly recommend you to avoid this part of Berlin, there is nothing interesting here.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Green and clean

by Luchonda Updated Aug 30, 2006

A green lung in Berlin

Fondest memory: I noticed on my last trip that Berlin is a green and clean city.
    Next to the mixture of renovated buildings and a unique architecture
    the city has a lot of urban qualities implicating green and open spaces with parks, sports facilities and cemeteries, boulevard trees, gardens and promenades along the waterside and woods. Berlin has a surface of 890 skm of which 18% is green area and 7% waterside.
    I never knew or realized that Berlin has that lot of greens and canals and lakes to offer.
    Must be a paradise for walkers and bikers
    The green lung is without doubt “Tiergarten” Visiting Berlin via the waterside must be a unique experience
    People enjoy being outdoors, relaxing and spending time in the urban environment with family and friends. It is a pitty I had no time to visit the most south/western part of Berlin – better known as Potsdam.

• Theme Park Trips
    • Eco-Tourism

Contemporary architecture

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 8, 2006

Favorite thing: Well, have to admit it, contemporary architecture is out of my interests when I am exploring the places. I don't like, in particularly, skycrapers and those glass buildings where most of the banks or insurance companies have their seats. In most of the places, I've visited so far, all these buildings look alike. In Berlin, however, it is not the case.

Fondest memory: TO BE CONTINUED

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Ampelmännchen

by Sjalen Updated Nov 7, 2005

Favorite thing: When the GDR disappeared, so too did many characteristic street lights from East Berlin. That is until people protested and started a movement to preserve the "Ampelmann". Today, several lights have been saved and can be seen throughout eastern Berlin (a few even in the western parts). I find them extremely cute and thank those who managed to save them. You can buy souvenirs with the cheerful looking red and green men on in a couple of dedicated shops (Hackscher Markt and just across the river from the Dom) but items exist in several other shops. When we visited, you could even buy a whole working street light in a book shop in Unter den Linden. I love them.

• JourneyOf1's Profile Photo

It's OK to look Lost

by JourneyOf1 Updated Jul 9, 2004

Returning after being lost all day LOL

Fondest memory: It's perfectly okay to stand in a station with a public transit system map in hand. Who said Berliners, those from my area always said northern Germans in general weren't friendly! One day I got myself really really REALLY lost and had no idea how to get back to where I was staying. Previously I'd had personal navigators in the persons of Damon and Jay (if you read the rest of my page you know who they are), but after they'd left for other parts of Germany I was on my own.

Courageously I struck out on my own one day to see Charlottenburg, I never made it and got lost, yet found that by standing in the station looking lost I had a number of persons come up to me and ask in English, "what are you looking for?" and "can I help you find your way?" There are information booths at some stations, but persons in general, usually were quite helpful. So synopsis: ITS OK TO LOOK LOST SOMETIMES ;-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a fascinating mix of east meets west, Berlin

by richiecdisc Updated Jan 27, 2008

ethnic diversity, just one of Berlin's virtues

Favorite thing: Berlin is a huge city and to truly explore it takes weeks, but even on a short trip, you can see more than just the central tourist sections by jumping on its extensive mass transit system.

Fondest memory: We got into Berlin a little later than planned but easily found our hostel and asked the receptionist if there was a Vietnamese restaurant in the city. He said yes though his bewildered look made me feel that he'd send us for Thai just not to look uniformed. Since it was in the same neighborhood, we decided to give it a go. We passed a little authentic Turkish place en route and I made a mental note in case our chase turned out to be mere wild goose. The area was a bustling one, full of student energy and cool cafes. It was very western looking even though it was in the very heart of what was once the east part of Berlin and I could have easily been walking around the village in NYC. There were lots "happy hour" signs and the bars looked more like places back in the States than the traditional beer halls of Germany that I love. Still, there was something comforting in finding it like this as I was to go home in a couple days, and maybe this would allay the culture shock of returning there. Though there were many different types of ethnic food represented, there was nothing remotely resembling a Vietnamese one so we walked back to the little place that caught our attention on the way. It was a small one-man operation and the friendly owner greeted us warmly. We ordered one big plate of food to share, not knowing how good it would be. It was delicious and though not really full, we decided to head to one of the cafes for happy hour to unwind from the long drive. Afterward, I was still hungry but we couldn't decide where to eat and finally I suggested just going back to our little Turkish place as at least we knew we liked the food there. It was a little embarrassing going back after only a couple hours but he was obviously happy to see us. The food was just as good this time around and after paying, we bid our new friend adieu. He smiled and laughingly said he'd see us in a couple hours, but it was more likely that I would never see him again.

• chicabonita's Profile Photo

At the Berlin Beach

by chicabonita Updated Aug 14, 2003

me at the SANDsations

Fondest memory: Summer sunny day.

Sitting in a deck chair and feeling the fine sand under my feet.

Beautiful Berlin!

A warm summer night. Only missing a cold Pina Colada or Mojito or Long Island Icetea or ... or ...

• wolf down a fresh currywurst...

by miromi Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: wolf down a fresh currywurst in the cold; dance until 9am (or longer) and stagger home wasted as the sun rises over the city (if there's sunlight at all :) ); go to schlager karaoke night; run away from American tourists; hang out on the sidewalk watching the cute German teenage boys strutting their stuff; have a beer in Friedrichshain on Rigaer Strasse and hit on the Italian punks; take a day trip to Turkey in Neuköln or Kreuzberg; spend all day in Görlitzer Park reading a book

Fondest memory: running around the Berlin science museum--it was one of my favorite museum experiences ever! especially the outdoor exhibits such as the windmills.

• ersavas's Profile Photo

- I would suggest you to buy a...

by ersavas Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: - I would suggest you to buy a city night map. Otherwise you can not find the good clubs.
    - My favorite place in sommer is Lustgarten and also Museum Island.
    - There are many good cafes. One of them is ' Tadshikische Teestube Theaterrestaurant, Am Festungsgraben'
    - Of course, Hackescher Markt and Kurfürstendamm
    - If you would like to ask more, dont hesitate..

• robertocv's Profile Photo

Enjoy the parks and the...

by robertocv Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Enjoy the parks and the museums

Fondest memory: I lived in Berlin for a month, it changed the idea I had from germany and showed me the amzing warm of the people. It is a live city, growing and finding a new face in it's habitants.

• In Berlin, it is a must to...

by canuckcj Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: In Berlin, it is a must to check out The Wall. Of course, who goes there without doing this! There is also a museum at one of the old boarder crossings that tells the story with movies and modern art.

There is also an excellent Greece Museum here as well. It is suppose to be one of the best museums around for the artifacts on Greece.

Fondest memory: The best memory is when Jenny, Aimee and myself were sharing a two man tent. Yes, it was squishy. Especially since there was no room to put our backpacks. And it really sucked when it started to rain and we had to shove our packs under someone's camper trailer to make sure they wouldn't get wet. But it is all about experiencing different situations, and this certainly was one!

• greentara's Profile Photo

greentara's General Tip

by greentara Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: When i lived in Berlin, Nollendorfplatz was my favorite place to go. Best kebabs as u will read in my favorite restaurants section, fun to rollerblade or just watch the others rolling and there's a great craft/hobbies shop just behind the church. Lots of indian restaurants in that street too! Not to forget my favorite jellewry shop opposite the kebab place. You really should go there! Oops almost forgot to tell you.... on Wed. and Sat. it turns into a market :)))

• greentara's Profile Photo

greentara's General Tip

by greentara Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: I think a memory i shall never forget is being invited to a friends bbq on a rooftop over looking east berlin and when i write rooftop that's exactly what i mean no balcony etc. It was absolutely amazing just sitting on a roof with music playing, friends chatting and laughing around you, the wonderful smell of meat grilling, little candles in glass jars flickering and as far as you could see Berlin all around you, if you lay back and looked up, the sky slowly turned from blue to black, not missing one shade inbetween!

• Lutz_H's Profile Photo

I lived here for three years....

by Lutz_H Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: I lived here for three years. An unconditionally regretless experience. Whatever you want to do or experience, whatever you have on your mind, from normal to extreme, this is the place to live it!!! Maybe not for the tourist who visits for a few days or even a couple of weeks, but I promise - it will still be very exciting if you're open minded and interested. Nobody will judge you for things you do or how you present yourself, almost everything's accepted. Can you tell, I love this city.
    Of course, as always in big cities, be a little careful at night in certain areas, but Berlin is basically a safe city.

Fondest memory: Crazy young people and the variety of things Berlin has to offer.

Instant Answers: Berlin