Treptower Park, Berlin

Know about this? Rate It!

Abandonded Ferris Wheel
    Love - Communist-Style
    by johngayton
    River Spree (And Boats For Hire)
  • sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Sombre wartime memorial

by sarahandgareth Updated Jun 4, 2004

Soviet War Memorial, Treptower Park

Although some people do make the trek over to Treptower Park, many people still seem to confuse this memorial with the far less impressive one in the Tiergarten.

The war memorial is a massive exercise in Soviet visual propaganda, and is also a grave for 5,000 Soviet soldiers who helped to liberate Berlin (as a consequence, it's also a solemn place; keep the raucous picnics for other parts of the very large park, closer to the river).

At one end stands a statue representing Mother Russia, at the other a heroic Soviet soldier carrying a child, and trampling on a swastika. Even if you're turned off by the many quotes from Stalin that adorn the friezes on either side of the memorial, in Russian and German, this memorial is a very powerful reminder of the tragedy, suffering and heroism of very ordinary people, in this case young Soviet soldiers, that have so marked Berlin.

Perhaps understandably, the memorial seems at its most impressive in the dead of winter, the trees bare and a sprinkling of snow on the ground. Once, while we were visiting, a fox darted out from one side of the park, leaving tracks in the snow and disappearing through the railings at the other side.

Treptower Park Soviet Memorial

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

no expectations

by richiecdisc Updated Mar 24, 2003

We drove in from Dresden so the first thing I saw was this bizarre bridge in a park. It was gorgeous out but we had left later than we had planned. I would have normally asked to stop for a photo but I knew Doreen was tired and figured we could come back. It turned out to be Treptower Park and not exactly all that close to the city. After exploring town, I asked to go back out there our last day in town. It took a while to get there by mass transit and it was a gloomy day. It was a dirty rundown park but certainly a place for locals. The bridge itself was disappointing and showed me once again how bit a part expectations play in liking something. I hadn't expected anything when I first saw it, and it seemed amazing. After waiting a few days to get back there, it was really nothing special. Still, it offers a weird glimpse into a part of the city I imagine the tourist board would rather you not visit. lol

gloomy Sunday

• Soviet Monument in Treptower Park

by sabsi Updated Aug 29, 2002

Take the S-Bahn to Treptower Park, go along the Spree for a few 100 mtrs and turn right. You'll feel like being in Moscow, there's a huge monument built on a mausoleum. A lot of Soviet soldiers who fought in Berlin at the end of WWII are buried there.

Soviet Monument