Café Einstein, Berlin

4.5 out of 5 stars 14 Reviews

Unter den Linden 42, Berlin-Mitte

My Hot Chocolate creation :)
    by Bushman23
  • Café Einstein
    by Glbtrotter
    The Einstein Cafe -- Berlin, Germany
    by fairestmom
  • Bushman23's Profile Photo

Einstein Cafe: Coffee & cake to die for!

by Bushman23 Written Dec 17, 2012

My Hot Chocolate creation :)

Cosy and warm, especially in the heart of Winter, the Einstein cafe is a wonderful place to stop and unwind, warm up, and let your palate loose. A massive selection of choice coffee's, served in a most unique and original way, some of the best cheesecake I've ever tasted, and absolutely top-notch service (even though the place was packed), makes me wish i could go back right now...

Favorite Dish: I had Hot chocolate with Rum, served in a 2-serving jug (Great value for money right there!), and me and Asia shared a cheesecake. As said above, one of the best I've ever tasted!

• Business Travel

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: great hot cocoa!

by marielexoteria Updated Apr 27, 2011

On a cold February day, after visiting Brandenburger Tor, Café Einstein helped me recharge my batteries and regain some body warmth hehe. This is a big café with plenty of room, and even tho they have handicap friendly facilities, getting there was a bit of a pain for VT'er RhineRoll, because the wheelchair friendly entrance was closed (?), but we managed and had a good time.

Favorite Dish: We had a piece of apple strudel and chocolate/coffee. I had to "prepare" my hot chocolate by mixing as much whipped cream as I wanted in my chocolate, as they serve the chocolate and the cream in 2 separate cups. Delicious!

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Cafe Einstein: Hidden away from the noise....

by Bela_LUng Written Jul 13, 2008

I was sitting in my hotel trying to determine what to eat on my last day in Berlin... my early flight the next morning
    was making me lazier then usual to embarking on an adventure around town (which usually ends up with me in
    a bar somewhere). Problem is... I wanted a Schnitzel. Oh yeah. I love the stuff, and sure enough there's no way in hell I was leaving Germany and not having had one. I threw out my Lonely Planet and look up German food in the nearby area. That's when I saw the Cafe Einstein was 2 blocks away from my Hotel!!! The review said the food was great but the service on the "snobby" side. Oh well, I don't give a rats ass. I want schnitzel damn it!

Of I went. I almost walked by the place. It's not well "advertised" on the street. Once inside I was taken in by the beaty of the place. It has that old Europe feel to it. I chose to sit on the patio (where everyone else was). The service
    at first was a bit hesitant, but once we got the beer ordered things snapped into shape and all was impeccable. My
    schnitzel was the size of my head! It came with a nice salad, warm soft spring potatoes tossed in just the right amount
    of butter and parsley.

I was glad to have come. It was a really treat on my last night, and the next time I am in town, I'll head back for
    that schnitzel again! A table nearby had ordered something else then Schnitzel and the whole patio smelled of its
    fantastic fragrance. Whatever that was....damn.... if I weren't such a Schnitzel whore I'd have leapt to that table
    and eaten that stuff!

Favorite Dish: Schnitzel! W00t!

• Glbtrotter's Profile Photo

Cafe Adler: Best Apple strudel in Europe

by Glbtrotter Written Apr 4, 2008

It's hard to believe a place near the tourist magnet of Checkpoint Charlie, the notorious border crossing between East and West Belin, could be so authentic. Friendly staff serves the BEST apple strudel I've ever had. Eversince I had their strudel I've comparing it to others in Europe, but they have the very best one, hands down. It goes perfectly with coffee on a rainy day.

Favorite Dish: Apple strudel

• fairestmom's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: You have to try the Apple Strudel

by fairestmom Written Jul 13, 2007

The Einstein Cafe --  Berlin, Germany

We didn't have a regular meal at Einstein's. Our visit was spent sitting outside on the sidewalk cafe enjoying the best cup of coffee and apple strudel I had ever tasted!! We just wanted to relax a bit after spending the big part of the day walking. Sitting and visiting with our friend Gary was what we wanted to do. This day was sunny and beautiful--our Einstein Cafe experience was the best. We ordered 3 apple strudels and 2 rounds of coffee! Plus great service from our waitress--can't ask for much more!

Favorite Dish: The apple strudel was what we ordered. It has to be the best I have ever had. It was light and flaky with the best apple flavor you can imagine. We didn't order the ice cream with our strudel--we wanted ours plain and straight.

We just ordered coffee so I don't know what type of coffee bean flavor it was but it was terrific coffee.

I footed the bill for this wonderful experience and I didn't mind paying for it. It was well worth it.

• Singles

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: Arguably the Best Coffee in Berlin

by Turtleshell Updated Mar 5, 2007

OK, they are not cheap, but neither is Starbucks, and Einstein is uniquely Berlin.
    The two bigger coffeehouses are in Unter den Linden 42, not far from Brandenburg Gate and Kurfuerstenstrasse 58. The latter one has a long history as the favourite Café for writers and other artists.

The interior resembles the Vienna Coffeehouse style, and it's easily imaginable to find a similar Café on one of those French steamliners that served Le Harve and New York City in the 30's: Elegant but maybe a bit too conservative for young people.

The most important thing for a coffeehouse, however, is the coffee itself. Einstein uses own blends and roast them in-house, albeit not in the coffeehouse. In the end, everything depends on the guy or lady who is working the espresso machine. It can happen that the coffee tastes bitter (too much coffee, machine or water was too hot) or bland (too little coffee, machine or water was too cold), but this is fortunately rare.
    If the staff is motivated, they will draw patterns on the milk froth of your Cappuccino.

You can also have dinner or lunch at Einstein, but there are other restaurants that are both - better and more affordable.

Favorite Dish: Favorite: Espresso and Cappuccino.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• miso80's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: Coffee Shop on Unter Den Linden

by miso80 Updated Mar 28, 2006

Cafe Einstein

We visited this coffee shop on Unter Den Linden twice in the 4 days spent in Berlin. The first day after walking around, we decided to drink beer and bask in the sun..Yes! It was a sunny 'November' day in Berlin...

The next we visited Cafe Einstein was in the morning for some of its delicious apfelstreudel with vanilla ice cream with coffee/tea. All I can say is...YUMMY!!!!

Favorite Dish: Don't miss out on the Apfelstreudal...

• Dimi1's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: Best coffee in town!!!

by Dimi1 Written Feb 22, 2005

Enjoy the real thing!

Really BEST coffee in town!!! The Cafe Einstein "Stammhaus" at Kurfürstensstrasse is the one and only real Kaffeehaus a la Vienna with the real atmosphere and style and the best Austrian Apfelstrudel in Berlin... Everything looks a bit like being still in the early 30ies... But it's real... No retro... Enjoy and relax!

Favorite Dish: Austrian Oberst (Cappuccino) and Austrian Apfelstrudel (Apple pie)

• sim1's Profile Photo

Have a coffee at cafe Einstein...

by sim1 Updated Jan 26, 2005

It was a pleasant cafe... warm and clean and friendly, and I hung up my old waterproof on the coat rack to dry and put my worn and weathered felt hat on the rack above the bench and ordered a café au lait.
    The waiter brought it and I took out a notebook from the pocket of the coat and a pencil and started to write.

Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

I love this quote, it is beautiful. And so appropriate when I think back to cafe Einstein. This is exactly the feel that you get when you enter this cafe. It is specialized in coffees and teas. All the types, flavours etc, you can think off are available here. The atmosphere is relaxed. I was tired of all the walking through Berlin, and this was an excellent spot to give my feet some rest and enjoy a delicious cup of cappucino.

When I walked in here a waiter helped me to a table. A small table in a nice little corner. You could smell the coffee, mmmm, made me long for a cup of coffee even more. I looked at the card and was overwhelmed by the choice you have between all the different types and blends of coffee and tea. I decided to keep it simple though, and ordered a cappucino.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: Vienna-esque Coffee Chain in Berlin

by yooperprof Written Dec 20, 2004

ein melange, bitte

Well, Einstein did live in Berlin between 1919 and 1933 before emigrating to the USA - so I suppose it is appropriate to have a locally owned coffee chain named after him.

Unlike certain American coffee chains, Cafe Einstein offers table service and a full menu, much on the model of Viennese establishments. Even the muted color schemes of the Einstein cafes is reminiscent of Austrian sensibilities.

There are Einsteins all over Berlin - this one is on Unter den Linden, just around the corner from the US Embassy. It attracts a well-heeled clientele which is said to include prominent politicos and bureaucrats from nearby governmental offices. Good people-watching in general.

• Karin1S's Profile Photo

Café Einstein: Time for a coffee break . . .

by Karin1S Written Sep 21, 2004

you smell the frest roasted coffee . . . you sit down at the chair . . . you get the menue - and you'll find a lot of choices of different coffees - you don't know what meams "Brauner" or "Melange" -don't worry - ask the helpful waitress she can explain it - or try it! you'll get all the times a fresh and real good coffee.

I'm sure you'll like that special spirit in the old "Einstein" at Kurfürstenstrasse

Favorite Dish: Order Cafe au lait (you'll get two small cans one with coffee and the other with hot milk) and one piece of cake - ask for the fresh baked cakes every day or try one piece of "Apfelstrudel" (a special appel pie) . . . enjoy the time . . .

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Einstein Kaffee: Einstein and coffee

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 19, 2004

EINSTEIN  KAFFEE

I found this "container" on my picture as a kind of catering at the southern side of New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie). They sold there coffee and some juices, all served in paper mugs.
    Not the best place to sit down by a table but I had to wait approx. 50 min. in a line to the gallery where over 200 masterpieces from Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York were displayed and took my coffee away.

Einsten Kaffee is small, Berlin-based chain of coffee shops. One was at Unter den Linden (# 42) where they had competition (at Pariser Platz 4a) of American chain of Starbucks (from Seattle). Great, competition is never a bad thing, at least for consumers.

Why Einstein? Albert Einstein, a man of genius and the greatest physician of 20th century was a director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Physical Institute and Professor at the University of Berlin (1914 - 1933). He lived in Munich, Zurich, Prague and the USA as well.

Favorite Dish: Nothing special. Coffee with milk if you like. It tasted surprisingly good, much better than a place :-).

• Hiking and Walking

• alexberlin's Profile Photo

Café EINSTEIN: Strudel, Cakes & Schnitzel

by alexberlin Written Sep 18, 2002

If you like Strudel, Cake & Schnitzel - it is the right place for you.....
    This coffee-house is typically for Germany and Austria - you can have the mentioned above as well a breackfast and so on....

It is also a coffe-rostery and you can buy fine rosted coffe from all over the world.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

CAFE EINSTEINKurfurstenstr....

by SirRichard Written Aug 25, 2002

CAFE EINSTEIN
    Kurfurstenstr. 58, 10785 Berlin - Tiergarten / Tel: 261 50 96 / U1+U2+U4+U12 Nollendorfplatz
    Times: Mon-Sun, 10am - 2am
    Also at: Unter den Linden 42, 10117 Mitte / Tel: 204 36 32 (Bus# 100, 348) Times: 9am - 1am daily.
    Prices: Milchcafe DM6.50, Frühstücke DM9-19, Hauptgerichte DM30-40.
    Walking into Café Einstein on Kurfürstenstr. is like walking into Vienna. The mirrored walls, high ceilings, and red velvet banquettes all echo the grand old style of a traditional Viennese coffee house. So do the small but perfectly executed selection of cakes and the rich, mellow coffee. In summer, take a seat in the cool, quiet garden. They also have a lunch and diner menu in 'International, Austrian Style' - try such classics as Wiener Schnitzel or Austrian Pancakes (Kaiser Schmarren). The second, more crowded, less opulent Mitte location also offers outdoor seating, if you fancy a table in the middle of busy Unter den Linden.

Instant Answers: Berlin