German Food, Berlin

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 30 Reviews

Follow the signs to Schlögl's!
    by slothtraveller
  • Luchonda's Profile Photo

German Food: Snack in the Zoo Resto

by Luchonda Updated Aug 28, 2006

German Currywurst in all sizes

As an apology on the previous restaurant tips - my daughter Kim simply loves the typical german food :
    - Curry wurst with fries and mostard, no ketchup- no mayo - just mostard
    But i have some remarks
    - Why is she wearing dark glasses - to be unrecognisable ?
    - Why are some non German visitors of the Zoo and just passing by laughing, looking at her menu plate?
    - Why did Kim take as drink a energy rebuilding drink with carot taste and wellknown as a preverable drink for diet patients ?
    All unanswered questions untill now.
    As punishment she offered me (paid by myself) a pint of Berliner Weisse - a real torture for a belgian beer lover.
    But we had a nice time !

Favorite Dish: For me : none
    For Kim : she eats everything - especially asperagous with organical food like kidneys and liver

• The potato cellar / "Kartoffelkeller": Best potatoes ever!

by bobsing Written Jun 6, 2006

The restaurant is located in a basement close to the Brecht Theatre. It's cozy, intimate, rustic, but not really very special. What makes it special is the enormous range of potatodishes. And the taste.. The whole consept of this kind of no-nonsense food, based on the humble vegetable. And they succeed.

Favorite Dish: We had only a plate of boiled potatoes, fresh asparagus and ham with homemade (I belive) Hollandaise. Yet it is one of the most tasteful dinners I've had, and trust me; I've had many! I don't know what made it so unforgettable; it was sort of "clean". No funny stuff, just great tasting meat, vegetables, gravy and the best potatoes I have ever tasted. No doubt I'm going back the next time I'm in Berlin. Made me want to go back to Norway and start my own potatocellar. Which I didn't, I'm afraid.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Berliner Weissbierstube: German ambience

by Sjalen Written Nov 7, 2005

In touristy Nikolaiviertel, this place has a cosy German wooden interior at one end and a small room with a film theme in the other. Outside there are tables along the walls as in the picture. It is a restaurant full of Berlin dishes such as pork knuckles and various pans with meats fried and served with sauce. All of course with good beer. We got a friendly waitress too, although that's of course never a guarantee.

Favorite Dish: Pork knuckles.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Faustus: No nonsense German

by Sjalen Updated Nov 6, 2005

Just next to KaDeWe is this little restaurant where you can get nice German fare and Berlin beer. The spätzle might not be as cheesy as in Schwaben and the flammkuchen as good as along the French border but the taste is definately there and the selection is nice. You can also have a hearty "farmers breakfast" or just a coffee for that matter. All in a nice setting with pictures from the Faust legend on the walls in this otherwise art noveau interior.

Favorite Dish: Spätzle...

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Restaurant Tucholsky: Genuine German food and beer

by mccrorj Updated Aug 25, 2005

inside the restaurant tucholsky

Lovely little restaurant and shrine to Kurt Tucholsky. I've passed it many times and thought it was closed. Took the plunge this year and wasn't disappointed. Service was good for mitte and the price was about average. If your fed up with South East asian fare then stop in and have a try of the menu. Decor was typically german with dark panelling everywhere and the choice of music set the tone well.

Favorite Dish: Knuckle of pork with sauerkraut mash potatoes and sweet mustard. The apple strudel looked goo as well.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Haxnhaus: Excellent German Food

by vichatherly Written Mar 31, 2005

Haxnhaus

Excellent friendly place. We were given a tip at the VT meeting by Nigel to visit this place and he wasn't wrong.

A typical German restaurant with its wooden interior and beer mugs all over the walls, also look out for the ornate cash register.

Excellent value for money as well. Serves food until about 11pm.

Favorite Dish: I had the "Lammhax´n mit Backkartoffel und Kräuterrahm" (Lamb shanks with jacket potato) which was excellent, all washed down with 3 half litres of Hefeweizen.

Really good...definately go there again

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Schinkel - Klause: Excellent German Food

by vichatherly Updated Mar 30, 2005

Schinkel-Klause Restaurant

We wanted to get into a traditional Berlin/German restaurant and found this excellent place in the AA spiral guidebook we had for the trip.

The basement bar was clean and tidy and the service was polite and prompt...as it always is in Germany. We had just about translated the menu from German and had made our choices when the waiter gave us another menu with English translation...we had got most things right down to the pea puree.

Favorite Dish: Nic had the excellent "Berliner Eisbein mit deftigem Sauerkraut, hausgemachtem Erbspüree sowie Speckstippe
    und Salzkartoffeln" (Ham knuckle with mashed potato and sauerkraut...see travelogue for photo) and I had the really tasty "Rosa gebratene Kalbsleber "Berliner Art" in Rosmarinbutter mit glasierten Zwiebeln, gebratenen Apfelscheiben und Kartoffelschnee" (Calf livers with apple)...all washed down with some excellent Berliner beer.

We didn't manage to get to the dessert menu as we thought we leave some room for more beer.

I would certainly eat here again.

• Appeltje's Profile Photo

Krasselts: Currywust / Sausage

by Appeltje Written Oct 12, 2004

This was my currywurst

Whenever I go to Berlin (or to our friends, living north of Berlin) I need to have at least one of those famous Curry wurst from Krasselts. People are queuing up for this delicious 'snack food'.

More about Currywust:
    Krasselts Imbiß,
    Bestofthewurst

Favorite Dish: The Currywurst comes in three flavours: Mild, sharp and extra sharp.

If you had one, you will never forget the taste again.

Therefor I created this Curry News

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

By the Branderburger Gate: German hot spiced wine sold on a street

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 16, 2004

WINE  ANYONE?

Haha, I can imagine the surpriced face of any American citizen looking at wine sold from a street stalls in Berlin. Yes, yes, they sell cheap wine on a street in Berlin.

They sold Glühwein, German, traditional and cheap hot spiced wine - red and dry with sugar, cloves, lemon and cinnamon. It costed only 1.5 € per glass or 2.50 € with a rum or amaretto.

Glühwein is popular around Germany particularly at a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market).

Favorite Dish: Glühwein tasted OK but a little bit too sweet and spicy for me but try it by yourself :-). Anyway I would prefer Swedish glogg.

• Wine Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

German Food on a street: Bratwurst for 1 € !

by matcrazy1 Updated Mar 17, 2004

BRATWURST  CART

The street vendor equipped with this movable vehicle-grill on my picture prepared and sold typical German snack called bratwurst. "Wurst" means a sausage while "bratwurst" a fried sausage in German language. In real it was a huge fried (grilled) sausage in a small bun - yummy!

I must admit that one Bratwurst can be enough for lunch, maybe even for two not very hungry people!

It was very tasty, inexpensive, fast and a good alternative to standing at the Imbiss. I liked the friendly atmosphere as well.

Favorite Dish: Bratwurst !

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Hax 'N' Haus: Great German food

by nigelw6443 Written Oct 15, 2003

Haxen Haus, Tegel

This is one of my favourites in Alt Tegel. The menu is very German with Haxe and Schnitzel featuring prominently. Dishes are served with the usual sides of Red cabbage, saukraut and dumplings. A good selection of beers and schnappes!

Favorite Dish: I usually go for a Haxe if I'm hungry if not then maybe a schnitzel.

• Wine Tasting

• barryg23's Profile Photo

German food

by barryg23 Updated May 7, 2003

Mmmmm!

Though it doesn't have a great international reputation, German food is something I really like.

Favorite Dish: Amongst the things I tried were:

Apfeltorte

• Mandy23's Profile Photo

Berlin Pancakes ;)

by Mandy23 Written Jan 28, 2003

Actually it's a jelly doughnut under another name! In Germany these treats are especially served throughout the Karneval or Fasching festivities leading up to Ash Wednesday, but of course you get them all year through. This recipe requires both a bit of time and a bit of work -- which is perhaps why they are usually bought in large quantities at the corner bakery.

Makes 8 - 10 Berliners

3 egg yolks, reserve whites
    7 tablespoons butter
    3-1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1-3/4 tablespoons rum
    grated lemon peel or vanilla extract

Filling:

apricot or other jam
    Confectioner's sugar

Method

Make a soft yeast dough using the above ingredients. Let rise.
    Roll out dough on a lightly foured surface (about a 1/3 inch thick). Divide the rectangular dough in half and put one half aside. Mark rings on the remaining half with a wine glass (the circumference should be about 3-1/2 inches) and place a dollop of jam in the center of each ring. Trace the outline of each ring with a thin coating of egg white. Carefully place the reserved dough on top and lightly push down so the jam dollops are not spread, but apparent under the dough. Use the wine glass to cut com pletely through the dough, lightly pressing the dough edges to seal the top and bottom halves. Cover loosely with a towel and let rise again, about 10 minutes. This rising affects both shape and consistency.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer. Place a few Berliners at a time gently in the heated oil. Cover, let cook for about 5 minutes and turn the Berliners once. Continue cooking until golden brown, about 10 minutes total depending on oil temperature.
    Drain Berliners on paper towel. Sprinkle with cconfectioners' sugar. The finished Berliner should look like a small cannon ball with a white waist line.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

most cafe's: Bredchen & sausage

by mvtouring Written Jul 26, 2010

One of the things that I really enjoy in Germany is their breadrolls & sausage. I like most of them but I think my bestest one is Weiswurz

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo

Zur Kleinen Markthalle: Fantastic chicken

by nigelw6443 Written Sep 16, 2003

This unpretentious restaurant specializes in simple yet very tasty food. The specialility being half a roast chicken which compliments the very fine kloster beer they serve!

Favorite Dish: The roast chicken.

Instant Answers: Berlin