Places to eat in Berlin

Most Viewed Restaurants in Berlin

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Lemongrass: Asian Fusion Buffet

by alancollins Written Nov 23, 2014

As I walked from the railway side into Potsdamer Platz Arkaden I noticed a fairly new restaurant called Lemongrass close to the entrance. It is an Asian Fusion buffet restaurant as well as having a takeaway service. I enjoy Chinese/Thai food and as this is a buffet style restaurant you can help yourself to what you want. There are a number of vegetable selections. There are 2 different prices depending on the size of the plate and these cost 6.90€ for large or 4.90€ for the smaller size. The staff are very pleasant and various drinks are available for extra cost. On my last day I have to decide between this restaurant or a burger at the airport. It was a no brainer and after piling the plate up I was stuffed afterwards.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Spitteleck: Bierstube

by adelinemmc Written Oct 11, 2013

Classic bierstube with a usual range of German food: sausages, goulash, schnitzel etc.

The restaurant has nice old pictures of Berlin, a lot of dark wood and appears to cater to a mix of locals playing cards with a few biers and tourists sampling German fare.

Service was prompt and polite.
    Food is served until 10pm.

Favorite Dish: I tried the goulasch, it was very tasty and came with an enormous potato knodel and a nice mixed salad. The beef was a little bit overcooked though.

My companion's schnitzel was very good.

So I would say this is an everage restaurant, not worth walking for miles to but very handy for dinner if your hotel happens to be in this newly developed & renovated part of Berlin.

Spitteleck Gulasch!

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Tapas y Mas Tres: Great Schnitzel.

by roamer61 Updated Jun 7, 2013

This wonderful Spanish restaurant was just around the corner from my hotel. In addition to Taps and other Spanish dishes, they had Schnitzel on the menu. Ambiance was good and the staff were friendly and attentive speaking Spanish, German and of course, English. A full bar provides for a wide range of drinks and the bulk of the menu is quite comprehensive. The wait staff are helpful if need be. Prices are average.

Favorite Dish: The German Schnitzel was excellent. Several other tables had ordered it leaving one to believe its a popular dish. Unlike in Austria where its veal, here its pork, but prepared the same way.
    It is served with a mushroom sauce, potato wedges and vegetables. All together, a delicious meal which I capped off with an excellent flan, a popular spanish dessert.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Kadima: Kosher food

by croisbeauty Written May 27, 2013

Never before I was in one Jewish restaurant and never before have tasted so-called kosher food. Since it was dinner time, when we was around synagogue, we made decision to visit "Kadima" restaurant, right next to the synagogue.
    Kosher foods are those that conform to the regulations of "Kashrut" - Jewish dietary law. The Hebrew term kosher, originated from Ashkenazi, meaning "fit" (for consumption). I really didn't know it, but according to Kashrut, camel and pig are considered unclean animals and therefore can't be used for a kosher food. Any animal which chews the cud and has a cloven hoof is ritually clean, but animals that only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves are not.
    The very first encounter with Kadima wasn't pleasant at all, to enter it one must pass the metal detector. Then we were kindly asked not to take any pics inside of the restaurant!

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is focused on both traditional and contemporary Jewish cuisine, with strong influences from Easter Europe, in particularly from Russia. The ambient inside is very nice, coloured in white color and ful of lights.
    We had no idea what to order and therefore we entrusted to all suggestions of our weiter. It was sort of lamb meat with vegetables. To be honest, Jewish inspired dishes are unusual (especially to me since I am Mediterranean) but very well executed. For a drink we took Jewish white wine and it was pretty good.
    We paid 50 euros, each.

Kadima

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Malatesta: Fine Italian restaurant

by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2013

I am a coffee lover, especially Italian esspresso, and have to take it in my usual times during the whole day. German kind of esspresso is all but not coffee and I realy hate it. I went inside this cafe-bar and restaurant asking the girl weather she is of Italian origins and do they make Italian esspresso. After she reaplayed in straight Lazian dialect I knew it is the right place for me. To tell you the truth, esppresso wasn't as good as it is in my country or Italy, but was acceptable.
    During my coffee time I checked the menu of the restaurant which offers exclusevelly the Italian dishes so I made reservation for the dinner here.

Favorite Dish: We wanted to have some seafood and the girl suggested calamaretti (small squids) for my wife, while I choose "coda di rospo al Livornese", which is one of my favourite fish. Don't ask me to translate it in english coz I am not able to do it.
    Instead of grilled calamaretti, the way we do it in Croatia, my wife got calamaretti in padela, which is dish from Lazio region. It wasn't that bad but it wasn't even good as it is supposed to be because the squids were a bit too raw. My dish, however, was very good. We had a bottle of Sicily white wine, sort of pinot, and it was pretty good.

Ristorante Malatesta Ristorante Malatesta

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Pizza & Ciabatta Factory: Little of atmosphere but great Italian food

by MD2nd Updated Apr 25, 2013

This Italian place is located right inside of SCC = Schloss-Strassen-Center Berlin which is a mall in Berlin's Steglitz connected greatly with subways and many bus stations. This Italian restaurant is less about taking a cosy dinning out but taking a rest while shopping or doing a quick order while on a short break. Their food is fantastic and they do serve real fast. No long wait. Gf had pasta with cheese and mushrooms, me some wonderful Italian tuna salad with pine nuts . Mineralwater.

Pizza & Ciabatta Factory Pizza & Ciabatta Factory

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Ritter Sport: For chocolate lovers

by alancollins Written Feb 19, 2013

When I first heard of Ritter Sport I thought that it was an American Company but no it is a German Family Company that has been manufacturing chocolate for 100 years. The company has recently opened a chocoworld shop in a prime location by the Gendarmenmarkt Square and is a must for chocolate loving families. The shop is on 3 floors and covers an area of nearly 11,000 square feet. You can create your own chocolate in one section or purchase a bar from the large selection available. There is also a small museum and on the first floor a cafe/restaurant. The restaurant serves a selection of hearty meals but as you would expect there is variety cakes and a chocolate drinks. The shop is open everyday from 1000 hours and is free to enter.

What to choose More choice Cafe Museum Shop front

• themangus's Profile Photo

Trattoria Boccacelli: Great Italian food

by themangus Written Nov 20, 2012

We took the recommendation of a bartender in our hotel - asking for a restaurant which was 'Touristy'. So he sent us out to the South east of the city to Trattoria Boccacelli.

A short walk from the train Insbruker Platz station we found a Trattoria Boccacelli.

It was very busy when we arrived - considering it's location and just how busy it was - we were fairly sure it was going to be a good choice.

The waitress moved around a table and some chairs and just about made room for the 3 of us.

I ordered the Boccacelli Salad to start - this is quite a plate of food! It was absolutely Delicious.

The steak main course, was perhaps a slight disappointment, probably only because of the quality of the salad.

A couple of 1l carafes of red wine later, and we'd had a very enjoyable meal.

• JourneyOf1's Profile Photo

Maria Bonita: Authentic Mexican Food in Berlin: The Real Stuff!

by JourneyOf1 Written Sep 26, 2012

There are many Mexican restaurants or bistros in Berlin, which people who aren't knowledgeable in the cuisine and authentic may think great, but I grew up eating real Mexican food and know the difference: Maria Bonita is the real deal. It is an authentic Mexican bistro, a little, no frill places with huge taste in its food, which is prepared fresh daily. As many ingredients as possible are imported from Mexico, as well as his variety of specialty Mezcal, the original liquor brewed by indigenes from the agave plant, which has a distinct, smooth, unforgettable flavor.

Tacos (not the hard shelled American creation but the real style from Mexico), burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, huevos rancheros and chilaquiles (of course!) plus seasonal specials & more. Don't expect or request Cali-style stuff or tex-mex, the owner/cook may be Texan but don't concede but learned his recipes from living in Mexico, not as a tourist but a regular guy working with the locals.

Not "fine dining," for there are a couple of tables out front and counter space inside, if you are someone who expects to be pampered and catered to, this is not your place. Everybody's welcome, but these guys take their trade seriously. If you want real people, great food, lively music and mouthwatering goodness, your choose Maria Bonita. When you have Mexicans who live in Berlin and others who know the real "flavors of home" coming back time and time again? You know it's the good stuff.

Prices for entrees are from 5-8€, starters sized small and large 2,50-5€, and you can add extras beginning to .50 cents. Open Tuesday-Sunday, around 12 noon to 23h (or so).

Favorite Dish: I've tried almost everything in the bistro, and loved it all, but the different salsas especially are tasty. That is my regular choice that I crave with real tortilla chips or totopos, as they call them in Mexico. Salsa roja, salsa verde and habanero salsa if you dare!

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Remake: Remake

by Turtleshell Updated Aug 27, 2012

** Please note: Remake has closed for good **

Remake is an aspirant for a star-rating in one of those popular restaurant and hotel guides*. Hence, it's not exactly cheap. However, for what you get, meals are still reasonably priced.
    The good thing, apart from the quality of its cuisine, is that it is not very formal. You don't necessarily need a tie and tight trousers.

Remake's cuisine is an eclectic mix of mostly Mediterranean, Austrian and local dishes. They chose to call the restaurant Remake, because they combine traditional dishes with contemporary preparation.

Sometimes, you have to be a bit open or even adventurous, but changes that you'll regret it are slim.

*Update: Remake has now found it's way into Gault Millau 2007.

Favorite Dish: Degustation-menues from 3-course (EUR 39) to 6-course (EUR 56) are best to explore the variety of Remake's cuisine.

• Business Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Max und Moritz, Charlottenburg: Two Of My Favourite Things!!!

by johngayton Written Jul 22, 2012

After a very busy day of photographing the East Side Gallery in its entirety and then running around half of the city in search of a large tobacconist (I ended up making do with lots of small ones!) I needed sustenance, having survived most of the afternoon on beer alone.

My hotel was located almost immediately across the road from the Charlottenburg S-bahn and Max und Moritz's fast food place just round the corner - what better sustenance can a drinking man get than a big juicy kebab??

Favorite Dish: For about three Euros I got a toasted pitta absolutely crammed with doner meat, salad, a few fries and a good dollop of chilli sauce. With friendly, swift, service thrown in for free and a Helles beer another couple of Euros (including pandf) this was exactly what I was after and served to line the stomach for the rest of the evenings' beers to come ;-HIC!

Beer und Doner ;-))) Frontage
    • Beer Tasting
    • Trains

Tiergartenquelle: Another Atmospheric Under The Arches Place

by johngayton Updated Feb 1, 2012

On this visit to Berlin we had a little VT meet on the Sunday night and couldn't have found a better location than Tiergartenquelle (chosen by my good fiend Bijo69) - being under the arches at Tiergarten S-bahn station had the bonus of making it very easy to find.

The restaurant itself is intimately atmospheric; the dozen or so slightly scuffed, mismatched tables, with equally mismatching chairs, the haphazard brewery paraphernalia and the scruffily hand-written blackboards add to its charm rather than detract. There was a good local buzz, with most of the tables occupied, and arriving a little earlier than the others gave me a chance to enjoy the ambience with a beer at the bar.

The menu is fairly short, which is always a good thing, featuring the usual Germanic variations on the pig theme - sausages, schnitzel, knuckle etc and surprisingly has quite a good vegetarian selection (hence Birgit's choice). In fact a subject that came up in our free-flowing conversation was about German menus lacking lamb dishes, but that's a sort of digression perhaps to be dealt with elsewhere.

Service was suitably laid-back, swift and friendly, and the food well-presented, tasty and hugely substantial. The beers are from the local Lemke brewery and these flowed thick and fast, as is usual for us, and are very reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: I do love a scruffily written blackboard - which, to my mind, implies freshness and so I pretty much ignored the rest of the menu and opted for the day's special. This turned out to be a huge platter of pork fillet in a creamy wild mushroom sauce accompanied by stuffed tomatoes and excellent potatoes.

Everyone proclaimed their meals tasty, the beers went down and a great evening in convivial company was thoroughly enjoyed - Cheers Guys!

Us! Frontage Birgit
    • Beer Tasting

M&M Back: Cheapest Breakfast In Town

by johngayton Updated Jan 30, 2012

Although I'd already had breakfast at my apartment (a grilled salami and cheese sandwich on rye which I delighted in making for myself)) I had an urge for a sweet nibble before my day out in the city proper. This little bakery/takeaway at Adenhauer U-bahn proved ideal - a well-filled flaky pain au chocolat set me back something like 69 cents and I could have had two for an extra 20. Coffee was a similar sort of price and so my second breakfast of the day was under 1.50 Euros.

This place was doing a roaring trade with a constant stream of locals picking up their nibbles, mostly to takeaway, and the three woman running it were busy making mountains of sandwiches any time they weren't serving so obviously they were expecting a busy lunchtime too.

I don't know whether this is part of a chain but is definitely worth keeping an eye open for if you get the munchies.

What To Look Out For

• gnomomami's Profile Photo

Ho Vang: Good Vietnamite Food

by gnomomami Written Dec 29, 2011

It's located in Rosa-Luxemburg Strasse. During the summer, you can sit outside on benches. In winter, the inside ambience is well decorated, friendly and informal. There's a good variety of foods and tea on the menu. The price is cheap.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Ristorante Piaggio: Italian food in Berlin's south

by MD2nd Updated Aug 27, 2011

Another Italian place that demonstrates, customers have all reason to be fond of Italian food at least if it's real Italian food at a real Italian restaurant with real Italian folks. And that's the case with Ristorante Piaggio. We had zuppadi pesce, fogaccia rosmarin, asparagi con salsa, insalata con gambaretti. Bread was served hot, and most delicious. Great service, nice waiters, and good looking. Portions are almost too big. Their restaurant is right beside the University and there for popular among students.

Ristorante Piaggio Ristorante Piaggio Ristorante Piaggio

Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
Unter Den Linden Hotel
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Generator Berlin (Storkower Strasse Landsberger )
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 13 Reviews
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Swissotel Berlin
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Berlin

Comments

Berlin Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Berlin locals.
Map of Berlin