Places to eat in Berlin

Most Viewed Restaurants in Berlin

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Spitteleck: Bierstube

by adelinemmc Written Oct 11, 2013

Classic bierstube with a usual range of German food: sausages, goulash, schnitzel etc.

The restaurant has nice old pictures of Berlin, a lot of dark wood and appears to cater to a mix of locals playing cards with a few biers and tourists sampling German fare.

Service was prompt and polite.
    Food is served until 10pm.

Favorite Dish: I tried the goulasch, it was very tasty and came with an enormous potato knodel and a nice mixed salad. The beef was a little bit overcooked though.

My companion's schnitzel was very good.

So I would say this is an everage restaurant, not worth walking for miles to but very handy for dinner if your hotel happens to be in this newly developed & renovated part of Berlin.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

A - Lounge: Stop for a beer

by Raimix Written Sep 22, 2013

I believe this place is more for partying and discos, but I and my host stopped here for a late mug of beer. We sat outside as weather was still good and not so cold (despite of some colder days in Berlin).

We took the last mug of beer for that evening, as we decided it can be an evening for tasting different beers :) The service was quite fast, also barmaid was quite chatty one :)

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Zum Elefanten: Nice sausage-meal

by Raimix Written Sep 22, 2013

At my stay in Berlin I also decided to visit Kreuzberg suburb. Also it happened it was dinner time, so I have found "Zum Elefanten" quite nice place to visit. It was quite popular by local people, so it means prices are also not so high.

I asked for a beer and hot meal - sausage with extra garnish and vegetables. The service was fast and polite, interior is great also.

Fontana di Trevi: Good Italian Food

by roamer61 Written Jun 13, 2013

Very good Italian Restaurant. Located along this main thoroughfare, this eatery serves a variety of pastas and other italian favorites including pizza. You can sit indoors or if the weather allows, outdoors. Service is good and staff speak English as well as Italian and German. Its a good change of pace from german cuisine or other international dining.

Favorite Dish: Pasta with fresh seafood was delicious combining a mix of shrimp and octopus,

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Tapas y Mas Tres: Great Schnitzel.

by roamer61 Updated Jun 7, 2013

This wonderful Spanish restaurant was just around the corner from my hotel. In addition to Taps and other Spanish dishes, they had Schnitzel on the menu. Ambiance was good and the staff were friendly and attentive speaking Spanish, German and of course, English. A full bar provides for a wide range of drinks and the bulk of the menu is quite comprehensive. The wait staff are helpful if need be. Prices are average.

Favorite Dish: The German Schnitzel was excellent. Several other tables had ordered it leaving one to believe its a popular dish. Unlike in Austria where its veal, here its pork, but prepared the same way.
    It is served with a mushroom sauce, potato wedges and vegetables. All together, a delicious meal which I capped off with an excellent flan, a popular spanish dessert.

China City Mitte: Good Chinese Food

by roamer61 Written Jun 5, 2013

This sprawling chinese eatery serves a wide array of dishes from dim sum to popular dishes including cantonese and szechuan dishes. The ambiance is typical oriental with a statue of Buddha and a tank of colorful fish. Special apparatus is placed n each table to keep dishes hot when they arrive.
    Though the food is good, service can be slow. I had to signal the waiter in order to get my check.

The fact nonetheless that a good number of chinese patrons came indicates it is a good restaurant.

Favorite Dish: I ordered hot and sour soup which was good plus a dish with beef and broccoli.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Kadima: Kosher food

by croisbeauty Written May 27, 2013

Never before I was in one Jewish restaurant and never before have tasted so-called kosher food. Since it was dinner time, when we was around synagogue, we made decision to visit "Kadima" restaurant, right next to the synagogue.
    Kosher foods are those that conform to the regulations of "Kashrut" - Jewish dietary law. The Hebrew term kosher, originated from Ashkenazi, meaning "fit" (for consumption). I really didn't know it, but according to Kashrut, camel and pig are considered unclean animals and therefore can't be used for a kosher food. Any animal which chews the cud and has a cloven hoof is ritually clean, but animals that only chew the cud or only have cloven hooves are not.
    The very first encounter with Kadima wasn't pleasant at all, to enter it one must pass the metal detector. Then we were kindly asked not to take any pics inside of the restaurant!

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is focused on both traditional and contemporary Jewish cuisine, with strong influences from Easter Europe, in particularly from Russia. The ambient inside is very nice, coloured in white color and ful of lights.
    We had no idea what to order and therefore we entrusted to all suggestions of our weiter. It was sort of lamb meat with vegetables. To be honest, Jewish inspired dishes are unusual (especially to me since I am Mediterranean) but very well executed. For a drink we took Jewish white wine and it was pretty good.
    We paid 50 euros, each.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Malatesta: Fine Italian restaurant

by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2013

I am a coffee lover, especially Italian esspresso, and have to take it in my usual times during the whole day. German kind of esspresso is all but not coffee and I realy hate it. I went inside this cafe-bar and restaurant asking the girl weather she is of Italian origins and do they make Italian esspresso. After she reaplayed in straight Lazian dialect I knew it is the right place for me. To tell you the truth, esppresso wasn't as good as it is in my country or Italy, but was acceptable.
    During my coffee time I checked the menu of the restaurant which offers exclusevelly the Italian dishes so I made reservation for the dinner here.

Favorite Dish: We wanted to have some seafood and the girl suggested calamaretti (small squids) for my wife, while I choose "coda di rospo al Livornese", which is one of my favourite fish. Don't ask me to translate it in english coz I am not able to do it.
    Instead of grilled calamaretti, the way we do it in Croatia, my wife got calamaretti in padela, which is dish from Lazio region. It wasn't that bad but it wasn't even good as it is supposed to be because the squids were a bit too raw. My dish, however, was very good. We had a bottle of Sicily white wine, sort of pinot, and it was pretty good.

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Cemilzade Confectionery: The best Turkish Delight in the world

by alancollins Updated May 16, 2013

I was watching a TV program about luxury travel in Istanbul when the presenter went to a shop selling Turkish delight. The company, which is family owned has a 130 year old history and their Turkish delight is thought to be one of the best in the world. Their produces are highly regarded because they are handmade and contain the best ingredients.
    For most people in the UK, Turkish delight consists of a bar of red jelly covered in chocolate which I hate. Because of my dislike of the UK product I have never tried it again even in Turkey. Whilst planning my trip to Berlin I wondered if there might be a shop in the city. I was delighted to find out that the only shop in Europe was located in Berlin. Lin loves Turkish delight so I decided to pay the shop a visit. Besides Turkish delight the shop sells marzipan, chocolates, coffee, tea and cakes. I was invited to try samples of their various Turkish delights. Given my previous experience I reluctantly tried a sample of the rosewater Turkish delight. It was different to the UK version and looks like jelly covered in icing sugar. I have to say it was delicious and I am now a convert and will be visiting the shop again to purchase some more of their products.
    The shop is open Tue-Fri 11-19, Sat / Sun 12-18 hours

Favorite Dish: Rosewater Turkish delight

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Uncle Sam: Best apple pie

by MD2nd Updated Apr 25, 2013

Uncle Sam cafe/restaurant - as I wrote earlier - is a very nice, cosy, little place right on hasty Berliner Street. I was lucky to find that place back in 2006. Since then I every now and then stop by there when anyway visiting gfs in Berlin. Not many places in Germany do help when it comes to homesick for the states but this place does. Beside American channels provided, one gets yummy food, best apple pie and cream (hot served if one wishes), beef jerky, ben & jerry's ice cream, chilli, to name a few. Cook and owner is a very nice American dude. Big plus: Uncle Sam cafe/restaurant is indeed a no smokey place.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Pizza & Ciabatta Factory: Little of atmosphere but great Italian food

by MD2nd Updated Apr 25, 2013

This Italian place is located right inside of SCC = Schloss-Strassen-Center Berlin which is a mall in Berlin's Steglitz connected greatly with subways and many bus stations. This Italian restaurant is less about taking a cosy dinning out but taking a rest while shopping or doing a quick order while on a short break. Their food is fantastic and they do serve real fast. No long wait. Gf had pasta with cheese and mushrooms, me some wonderful Italian tuna salad with pine nuts . Mineralwater.

• breughel's Profile Photo

Restaurant Nolle.: Good German cuisine.

by breughel Updated Mar 29, 2013

Staying on Friedrichstrasse we wanted to try this restaurant with typical German food.
    Although we are not big fans of Schnitzel or Würsten we were happy with the food, the friendly service and the very place that does not miss some special charm with the roar of passing trains on the rails above the restaurant reminiscent of a volcanic eruption!
    Prices are reasonable at € 15 for schnitzel or roast chicken with sufficient salad and fries which were nearly as good as in our country. Tasty dishes based on sausages are priced at about € 9. Their large potato from the oven served with cheese was welcome for lunch.
    Wine Glass 20 cl 4.50 € and a good beer 50 cl for 4.60 €.
    We also enjoyed their warm Apfelstrudel at € 4.50.

• breughel's Profile Photo

Block House.: Best Rib-Eye steaks.

by breughel Written Mar 16, 2013

Best Rib-Eye steaks.

Block House is a chain of thirty restaurants in Germany, including 7 in Berlin, specializing in steaks.
    We have been several times to the one of the Friedrichstrasse, near the train station of the same name, and if we return to Berlin it will be close to a Block House because their grilled steaks are so good.
    For us, the best choice is the Rib-Eye grilled steak (Hereford beef from Argentina). This marbled meat, which we do not find in our country dominated by Belgian Blue White, has just enough fat to make the grilled meat so tasty. The steaks are served on a very hot teller so that even "saignant - rare" or "blue" the meat stays warm.
    The standard portions weigh 250 gr and are served with a nice baked potato with sour sauce and preceded by a large portion of mixed salad very fresh all for € 20.40.
    A large (0.5 L) Weizenbier is at € 4.50 and a glass of wine (0.2 L well served) at 5 €.

The staff is friendly and is doing his best in different languages to understand the desired degree of doneness. Such meat is obviously eaten "rare".
    At each visit the restaurant was very busy ensuring a smooth flow of fresh products.
    Highly recommended for carnivores!

• alancollins's Profile Photo

Ritter Sport: For chocolate lovers

by alancollins Written Feb 19, 2013

When I first heard of Ritter Sport I thought that it was an American Company but no it is a German Family Company that has been manufacturing chocolate for 100 years. The company has recently opened a chocoworld shop in a prime location by the Gendarmenmarkt Square and is a must for chocolate loving families. The shop is on 3 floors and covers an area of nearly 11,000 square feet. You can create your own chocolate in one section or purchase a bar from the large selection available. There is also a small museum and on the first floor a cafe/restaurant. The restaurant serves a selection of hearty meals but as you would expect there is variety cakes and a chocolate drinks. The shop is open everyday from 1000 hours and is free to enter.

• themangus's Profile Photo

Trattoria Boccacelli: Great Italian food

by themangus Written Nov 20, 2012

We took the recommendation of a bartender in our hotel - asking for a restaurant which was 'Touristy'. So he sent us out to the South east of the city to Trattoria Boccacelli.

A short walk from the train Insbruker Platz station we found a Trattoria Boccacelli.

It was very busy when we arrived - considering it's location and just how busy it was - we were fairly sure it was going to be a good choice.

The waitress moved around a table and some chairs and just about made room for the 3 of us.

I ordered the Boccacelli Salad to start - this is quite a plate of food! It was absolutely Delicious.

The steak main course, was perhaps a slight disappointment, probably only because of the quality of the salad.

A couple of 1l carafes of red wine later, and we'd had a very enjoyable meal.

Berlin Hotels

Latest: Mar 4, 2014
Unter Den Linden Hotel
Hotel Belmondo am Kurfurstendamm Berlin
Latest: Apr 6, 2014
Generator Berlin (Storkower Strasse Landsberger )
Dorint Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt
Latest: Mar 7, 2014
Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof Hotel
Swissotel Berlin

Instant Answers: Berlin

Comments

Berlin Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Berlin locals.
Map of Berlin