It was built as a guard house in 1816 by an architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. It was designed as an example of French classicism. At first it was actually used as a guard house, but frown the year of 1931 it was redesigned as a monument for these, who were dead in war. Nowadays it houses remains of an unknown soldier of Second World War, also a centralized sculpture, showing mother with her dead son.
The Neue Wache is a Neo-Classical building on Unter den Linden and has served as Germany's central place of memorial since 1993. The building (translation: new guardhouse) was built in 1816-1818 to a design by Karl Friedrich Schinkel.
I found this memorial very simple but very powerful and effective. Inside the building, in a chamber illuminated by a solitary circular open window from above, you will find a sculpture of a mother holding her dead son made by Harold Haacke. The sculpture is an enlarged version of Kathe Kollwitz's 'Pieta' sculpture and is a fitting tribute to those souls lost in war. The sculpture itself is seated directly under the oculus above, meaning that it is exposed to the elements.
Entry is free and the building is open daily.
The Neue Wache was the first building designed by Karl Freidrich Schinkel for King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, for use as a royal guard house for the nearby Palace of the Crown Prince. Built between 1816 and 1818 it is considered to be one of the finest examples of Neo-Classical architecture in Berlin. With the fall of the German monarchy at the end of WW1 the guard house was no longer required. A new use was found and from 1931 it became a war memorial though it has under gone a number of changes over the years. It was rededicated in 1993 as the ‘Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Tyranny.’
The German War Memorial is a low key affair on the main thoroughfare of Unter-den-Linden. The object of its dedication has changed over the years, but it remains a touching reminder of the victims of war. It was originally a guard house, built in the manner of a Roman castrum, but after World War 1 it was redesigned as a memorial of the war dead. During Communist times, the East German government rededicated the memorial to the victims of Fascism.
Today it is dedicated to all victims of war and tyranny, the statue of Mother with Dead Son was placed under the exposed light of the central oculus. Bathed in eerie winter light, and subject to all the elements that are thrown down on the city, like snow and rain, the statue signifies the suffering of Germans who were bombed out of their homes.
Neue Wache (New Guard House) is located at the north end of Unter den Linden. It was designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1816 and is leading example of neo-Classism in Germany. The structure was built on purpose to be a Guad House for the troops of the Crown Prince of Prussia, bar later on has been used as a war memorial.
King Friedrich Wilhelm III comissioned Schinkel to built a guard house for the nearby Palace of the Crown Prince. Schinkel made plan of an structure completely exposed and free in all sides, with a portico of doric columns. In 1931 Neue Wache was redisigned into a memorial for the Germans dead in the War. During times of GDR this building become "Memorial to the Victims of Fascism and Militarism. Since 1993, after German reunification, Neue Wache was rededicated again as "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Turanny".
I wonder why they didnt call it simply Neue Wache?
The war memorial Neue Wache houses the beautiful and moving sculpture „Mother and her dead son” by the Berlin artist Käthe Kollwitz.
The sculpture is directly set under an oculus and is exposed to the weathers, symbolizing the suffering of civilians during the war
This small Greek temple on Unter den Linden contains a replica of the Mother with Her Dead Son statue which marks the tombs of Germany's unknown soldier and the unknown concentration camp victim. This memorial was formerly a memorial to the victims of fascism.
After German reunification the Neue Wache was inaugurated on the National Day of Mourning in 1993 as the "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany" with the mourning pieta by Käthe Kollwitz in Tessenow's reconstructed "monumentally void interior hall".