Oranienburger Strasse, Berlin

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Oranienburger Strasse

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

Oranienburger Strasse scenes

Oranienburger Strasse is located in the centre of the Scheunenviertel quarter, Berlins former Jewish quarter. After World War II this area was neglected and fell into a state of decay.

These days however, this area has become very fashionable, with many buildings being restored to their former glory. There are lots of trendy bars, restaurants and shops to attract locals and tourists alike. Modern hotels (like the one we stayed in) are being constructed next to derelict-looking buildings which house the latest 'bar of the minute' and such like.

This is a lively area, with plenty of nightlife for those not too exhausted from a big day of seeing the sights.

At 54-56 Oranienburger Strasse you will find Tacheles, the ruins of one of Berlin's most elegant shopping centres which has been transformed by artists into a "symbol of alternative culture". It looks like some sort of squat, but in fact contains cafes/bars, a movie theatre and holds various art related workshops.

You will find the Neue Synagoge at 28-30 Oranienburger Strasse, it is unlikely you will miss its gleaming gold dome shining about the street. The dome belonged to the original synagogue, which was built from 1859-66 and was the largest in Europe until it was destroyed by bombs in 1943 (obviously the dome escaped total ruin).

The new synagogue was completely reconstructed from 1988-1995. Not only can you check out that beautiful dome but there is also a museum you can visit which examines the role of the Jewish Community in Berlin.

We really enjoyed being based in this part of the city and found there was an interesting mix of old and new.

• Architecture

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Oranienburger Strasse

by mvtouring Written Apr 16, 2009

Meika took us to Oranienburger Strasse which is located in the centre of the Scheunenviertel quarter, Berlins former Jewish quarter. After World War II this area was totally neglected and fell into a state of decay.

Today it is a very fashionable and sought after area, with many buildings being restored to their former glory. At night time it really comes alive as there are lots of trendy bars, restaurants and shops to attract locals and tourists alike.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Oranienburger Strasse- Streets Ahead

by Ekaterinburg Updated Jan 8, 2008

Oranineburger Strasse ? Definitely !

The name Oranienburger Strasse conjured up wonderful images for me , long before I ever set foot on it. From what I'd read, it seemed that this street epitomised everthing that was cool and funky about Berlin. Saturday afternoon, after my abortive attempt to get to Prenzlauer Berg on the 200 Bus, I did make it to Oranenburger Strasse. To make things better, the SUN ( rare commodity here in December ) was shining brightly and I finally felt like I'd found a corner of Berlin that lived up to my expectations.

Obviously there is quite a difference between street life in winter and summer in Berlin and it was no way as busy as I expected. The beautiful people just weren't in evidence but I expect they were still all in bed sleeping off the effects of the night before. It was really quiet and I couldn't believe how few people were in the shops and cafes.

Lack of people aside, I loved the street, did some window shopping and got quite excited when I reached the Tacheles. I'm sure this is very outdated now, but having seen so many photos of it, I really enjoyed browsing round and photographing the graffiti etc.

Another great building here ( on the corner of Oranienburger Str. and Tucholsky Str.) is the red-brick Postfuhramt ( photo 4), which I knew just had to be something more than your average post office. Inside is C/O, one of the newer gallery spaces around here. All along August Strasse as well, you will find galleries in some strange locations, a very pleasurable activity if you're into this sort of thing.

Back on Oranienburger Strasse I got the opportunity to visit something else on my 'must-see' list, the Neue Synagoge. This street and those surrounding it are packed with things to see and do. I just wish I could have spent more time there.

• Study Abroad