Reichstag Dome, Berlin

by sinoda
    ack!
    by miromi
  • somoslagente's Profile Photo

my only complaint was the queue

by somoslagente Written Oct 30, 2006

there´s no charge to get in and the usual security checks apply.
    there was a pretty long queue - so get a friend to wait (or vice versa) whilst you collect the free brochures that they hand out from the stall.

Unique Suggestions: enjoy yourself! its all part of german history. have a real close look at the building when you are queuing and you´ll see how it´s been repaired from the damage done by the nazis and during the war.
    the initials on the ceiling are those of the keisers who reigned whilst they were building the bundestag!

my only complaint was that really you only visit the dome - and don´t actually get to see around the bundestag at all - you can look in from the dome.

i spent at least half an hour wondering how the ùp and down ramps actually work - as they don´t seem to criss cross and you walk up a different one from the one you walked up. if anyone can explain this to me - please email me at tanneddarling@hotmail.com as it is still really bugging me!

• Trakl's Profile Photo

Do not miss the Reichstag Dome

by Trakl Written Oct 29, 2004

I too arrived at the Reichstag to find depressingly long lines. But I asked a policeman when the best time to come would be. He told me to be there first thing in the morning. I can't remember what time it opens, but if you're there 15 minutes before it opens, you won't wait very long at all. The views are spectacular, and the structure itself is brilliant, aesthetically and metaphorically.

• Architecture

• sinoda's Profile Photo

Queueing... for almost nothing

by sinoda Written Jun 7, 2004

Well, of course the Reichtagsgeb?ude (the Parliament) looks imposant and its new ' roof ' is somehow special, but what you get when you finally get in is disappointing.

Maybe we just weren't lucky, but on this Monday morning we had to queue for 1,5 hours in this chilly spring weather.

Once you get in you are checked like at the airport (that I understand) after which your way is strictly determined - you are only allowed to visit the roof with its magnificent glass/mirror cupole --- this again is outside.

Unique Suggestions: You are not allowed to see the building from inside, what a pity...

Fun Alternatives: There is only one Reichstag!

Berlin

• don't go to the Reichstag

by miromi Written Sep 7, 2002

don't go to the Reichstag--I mean, I actually would love to visit it and look inside (have you seen photographs of the interior? it looks like a glass tornado!), but there are always 10 busloads of tourists waiting in line so I never get to do it. If you don't go, then that's one less person for me to stand in line behind

However, if you are a connosieur of tourist buses and have made it your life's goal to understand the subtle nuances of their shape and form, Berlin is an excellent place, as every variety of European tour bus known to man can be found in the area around the Reichstag and the Brandenburger Tor. Big ones! Small ones! Cute ones! Old ones! Young ones! The selection is unbeatable.

ack!