The Caputh Castle is the only preserved castle in the Potsdam surroundings at the time of great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg (about 1700). The castle yet has suffered on decades of neglect and inappropriate use as an electronics training institution, so called Kombinat. Meanwhile restaurations brought back the castle magnificent and nostalgic appearance, splendid with its paintings of antique goddesses since Elector Friedrich Wilhelm's second wife Dorothea shaped the castle into an electoral, baroque summer residence. Elector Friedrich Wilhelm ordered over 7500 Dutch faience to be installed. Also the apotheosis of Hohenzollern are consolidated.
The municipality of Caputh is about six kilometres south of Potsdam, today’s state capital of Brandenburg. This quiet and dreamy place has become famous all over the world through Albert Einstein who spent most of the year in his summer house in Caputh during the years 1929 to 1932.
With changing exhibitions on Caputh's history, the Club Caputh e.V. located in one of the town's oldest property, visitors are invited to learn about Caputh's story.
You don't always need a bridge. The ferry in Caputh is also good choice to cross the Havel and not very expensive.