Potsdam Favorites

Chinese House detail
    by DEBBBEDB

Most Recent Favorites in Potsdam

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Copies from different nations and historic styles

by Raimix Updated Jan 22, 2013

Favorite thing: It seems that rulers of Prussia were not only well educated, knowing different styles of architecture, but also cosmopolitan, allowing so much different places to be built in Potsdam. The international architecture really stands out.

For example, there is the Chinese tea house, representing East Asia, so-called 'mosque' - representing the Islamic World. Also nice Alexandrowka quarter with Russian heritage or Dutch quarter.

• Raimix's Profile Photo

Place of palaces

by Raimix Written Jan 13, 2013

Favorite thing: Potsdam was truly the place of palaces. Every ruler of Prussia wanted to it to be more beautiful - Sanssouci, New palace, Marble palace... Most of them were constructed in baroque period, but you could also see classical style. Most of them houses a museum, so I think it is possible to visit every of them, but it needs really more than one day (I did only day trip).

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 17, 2012

Asslan in Potsdam

Favorite thing: We got an opportunity to visit Potsdam with Irina in 6 years after my first visit in August of 2001.
    It was a trip to the German Shepherd Bundessiegerzuchtschau in Dusseldorf with our Asslan v Haus Schiran. It was our third trip to Germany with Asslan and I planned that trip with two nights near Potsdam to see Sanssouci.
    That’s why we can tell that thank to Asslan I visited Potsdam for the second time and Irina for the first time.
    Our visits in many European cities have never happened if our dog Asslan v Haus Schiran and his participating in dog-shows in Germany.

Dogs are permitted in the New Garden and we had a pleasant walk with Asslan and he was thankful to us that we didn’t left him in the hotel or in the car…
    He jumped into the Heiliger See and enjoyed cool waters of this Holy Lake after a long walk along the Sanssouci Park. Swimming in the lake wasn’t permitted and we asked him come back, but he couldn’t understand why…

You can watch my 2 min 43 sec Video Asslan vom Haus Schiran in Sanssouci and Cecilienhof out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Travel with Pets

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Visiting Potsdam when being on business in Berlin

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 15, 2012

Brandenburger Stra��e

Favorite thing: I was fortunate to visit Berlin in November of 1995. It was a week business trip and as we know every week contains a weekend. I took a chance and went to Potsdam.
    It’s rather easy to make such a trip by S-bahn (S7 line). As far as I remember it took me about an hour from Friedrichstrasse to Potsdam Hbf.

I spent the whole day in Potsdam. But I was sorry that Irina wasn’t with me and I decided to bring her in Potsdam as fast as possible.

Potsdam is undoubtedly one of Germany's most beautiful cities. It has been on the UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage list since 1990, turn the capital of the Federal State of Brandenburg into a great travel destination, suiting all sorts of interests and demands.

You can watch my 1 min 20 sec Video Potsdam out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

• Architecture

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Flowers and Flower Fauna

by grandmaR Updated Apr 30, 2010

Spider on a poppy bud

Favorite thing: It was not until the 19th century that the idea of Potsdam as a "paradise isle" was fully implemented. Landscape architect Peter Joseph Lenné united the various palaces and parks into a unique park landscape which was designated as a "world cultural heritage site" by UNESCO in 1990.

Fondest memory: My granddaughter took a lot of closeup pictures of flowers and their inhabitants.

• Cruise
    • Castles and Palaces

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Chinesisches Haus

by DEBBBEDB Written Apr 29, 2010

Chinese House detail

Favorite thing: The Chinese House is a garden pavilion in Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. As I noted in my letter to my mother, Frederick the Great had it built, about seven hundred meters southwest of the Sanssouci Summer Palace, to adorn his flower and vegetable garden. The garden architect was Johnn Gottfried Büring, who between 1755 and 1764 designed the pavilion in the then-popular style of Chinoiserie, a mixture of ornamental rococo elements and parts of Oriental architecture.

Fondest memory: Two of my three pictures of the gardens are of the Chinese musicians that stand around the edge of the building.

• magor65's Profile Photo

Potsdam - a bit of history

by magor65 Written Jul 9, 2009

Favorite thing: Surrounded by lakes and fields, Potsdam can be called a city of palaces and gardens. Although it celebrated its millenium in 1993, the most significant chapter of its history started in the second half of the 17th century when the Elector Frederick William made it the royal residence. It's not certain why he chose Potsdam; one of the reasons could be that the neighbouring area was covered with thick forests and the Hohenzollerns were known for being keen on hunting.
    In the times of Frederick William I Potsdam became a garrison city with houses for distinguished officers. Frederick William I was often called the soldier king because the tool he used to introduce the reforms with was his army. During his long reign the number of houses in Potsdam grew from 220 to 1150. He established a special regiment of soldiers, called the Potsdam Giants, in which served the tallest men he could find all over Europe.
    But it was his son Frederick II who was called the Great by his contemporaries. During his reign Prussia became the most modern country of Europe. But by many people he is best remembered because of the Sanssouci Palace - the place which was to become his retreat from the wars, army and his wife (also probably from other women as he was rumoured to be homosexual).

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Berlin

by Leipzig Updated Jul 29, 2007

Berlin TV Tower

Favorite thing: Just in a few minutes Berlin can be easily reached by public transportation. Since the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990 Berlin has become a metropolis as it once was. It is the biggest city of Germany with a population of about 3.5 million and attracts with a huge offer of culture and history. At least go to "Museumsinsel" and on top of "Fernsehturm" at Alexander Platz.

Berlin

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Babelsberg Film Park

by Leipzig Updated Jul 29, 2007

photo from the officail website (link listed above

Fondest memory: This over 80-year-old film town offers a colorful program filled with shows and attractions. Special VIP tours for adults and children allow each person to gaze behind the scenes of film and television. Sometimes you are invited to act as a character in a short film. I was in the mid 1990 to serve as supporting actor without text in a short movie. My task was to walk in front of a house while the actors had a dialog in the foreground. You see nothing special.

Click here for detailed info

• The Green Family

by Mariajoy Written Jun 23, 2007

The Green family

Favorite thing: I have tried to find out more info about these characters in Stadtmitte, Potsdam but apart from them being called the Green Family and created by a local sculptor I have nothing else to tell you about them!

There were lots of tourists having their photo taken with them so I had to wait for them to go before I could take this one!

• Knoto's Profile Photo

More of Sanssouci

by Knoto Written Jun 5, 2007

Favorite thing: Don`t miss a walk around in these wonderful area.Enjoy the fontane, the wonderful park, all the interesting things here.
    And if you enjoy your walk don`t take a look at your watch. Hours will go fast...

The gardens of Potsdam

by barryg23 Updated Jun 12, 2003

Gardens

Favorite thing: Ok, all the tourists visit Park Sanssouci but there is a good reason why. It's very pretty, historic, and picturesque with so much to capture your attention.

Fondest memory: Walking the beautiful gardens at Park Sanssouci.

The Emperor

by barryg23 Updated May 29, 2003

Fondest memory: This guy looked familiar to me - he is the spitting image of the statues on Broad Street in Oxford, whose origins I have been trying to work out for a long time. If anyone knows what this bust represents, please let me know.

Walking to Potsdam

by barryg23 Written May 27, 2003

The open road

Fondest memory: On the trip to Potsdam I had the seemingly bright idea of alighting one train stop before Potsdam, in Babelsburg, and walking the rest of the way. My main motivation for doing this was a desire to see the famous Glienicker Bridge, a place where spies were excahnged during the cold war, and where the the former East German - West Berlin border ran.

Lesson 1: The distances between stations are a lot less in Zone 1 than out in Potsdam. It was at least a 3 km hike to the bridge and from there another 2 km into the centre of Potsdam.

Lesson 2: If the forecast is for 30 degree heat then there will be 30 degree heat. The weathermen here don't lie, unlike those at home:) I had very little water, not too much food, and no sunscreen - arriving in Potsdam I was three shades of pink and almost too tired to do any sightseeing.

Lesson 3: If you are going to walk that distance in the heat, it's better to check a map or ask the locals for help. I wandered out of Babelsburg station in what I thought was Karl Liebneckt Strasse, and it was only when I reached open country side that I began to get worried. I stooped to ask a girl for directions, and luckily I was going the right way.

• seraphim's Profile Photo

visit Park Sanssouci. Most of...

by seraphim Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: visit Park Sanssouci. Most of the buildings in this huge parke were built for Friedrich the Great. The most important one is Schloss Sanssouci, but some of the others are really worth it too. Some compare this park to Versaille, but having never been to Versailles I really wouldn't know if the comparison is accurate. Basically there are a lot of buildings from different cultures (a Chinese teahouse, a Dutch windmill and even a make-belief medeaval ruine) thrown together to please Friedrich and his entourage, which makes it all a bit fake, but don't let that spoil the fun. Don't expect to see the whole park in just a few hours it's really very big. If you want to visit the museums inside, make sure you arrive early, because only a set number of visitors is allowed in every day.

Instant Answers: Potsdam

Comments

Potsdam Favorites

Reviews and photos of Potsdam favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Potsdam sightseeing.