Rangsdorf Travel Guide

Rangsdorfer See
  • Rangsdorf
    by alancollins
    Main building in the distance

Rangsdorf Things to Do

• alancollins's Profile Photo

by alancollins Written Jul 28, 2012

I went to the Bücker Museum in Rangsdorf. This small museum covers a number of areas. It covers the history of Bücker Aircraft, that were sports aircraft build locally at Rangsdorf Airfield. It also has a number of model aircraft and there is usually an event annually at the disused Rangsdorf Airfield where model aircraft are flown. There are some relics from the second world war. The museum also has a some ice yachts which are not so well known in the UK as it is not cold enough for large lakes to freeze. The local Rangsdorfer See is used for ice yachting when the lake freezes over.

• Museum Visits

• alancollins's Profile Photo

by alancollins Written Jul 28, 2012

I was reading a book and it made mention of Rangsdorf as the airport which Claus von Stauffenberg returned to after the failed attempt to assassinate Hitler. I decided I must try and find out more, though information was limited. I caught a train out to Rangsdorf. There are a couple an hour either from Alexanderplatz or Potsdamerplatz. My first impression on arrival were of an upmarket town with nice houses, shops and being clean and tidy. There are plenty of places to find something to eat and drink close to the station. The main place I wanted to visit was of course the disused airfield. As soon as I reached the main gate to the airfield and found it was locked I realised it could be a wasted trip. I followed the boundary of the high fence looking for a gap but could not find one. I am not advocating you should do the same as me and I could not wait until the open day at the airfield in September. To add to my problems a cloudburst and thunderstorm took place. My boots failed with all the rain and I ended up with wet feet plus my jeans were wet and muddy. Being slightly damp and just about to give up I found a gate that appeared locked but it was not. I was in and able to take photos of the buildings. I felt pleased with myself and was just about to look at some other buildings when I spotted a security guard, so I thought I better beat a hasty retreat and left the way I had come in. The wet feet and jeans were worth it. The airfield is also the place where Bücker sports aircraft were built before the second world war. After the war the soviets took over the airfield and repaired engines and flew helicopters from the airfield. Since then the airfield has been abandoned and the buildings left to nature.

Main building in the distance Inside a hanger Control tower Hanger building Looking from the hanger

• Rangsdorf Hotels

1 Hotels in Rangsdorf

Rangsdorf Hotels

Instant Answers: Rangsdorf

Comments

Rangsdorf Travel Guide
Map of Rangsdorf