Werneuchen Travel Guide

• Werneuchen
  • Transportation

Werneuchen Things to Do

by alancollins Written May 30, 2010

Whilst I was walking around the edge of the Werneuchen Airfield I spotted this tall reinforced concrete building. I thought at first it was a control tower but believe it would have been much closer to the runway. Anyway some checking revealed it to be an air raid shelter from world war 2 and was probably built between 1939 and 1940.

The Main Runway 4 more images

by alancollins Updated May 27, 2010

One of the reasons for going to Werneuchen was to visit the old airfield. The airfield was used during WW2 and was taken over by the Soviets after the war and greatly expanded. The area then became a secret closed area, mainly because modern aircraft were stationed here and a nuclear weapons store. Hardened hangers were built in which to safely keep the front line aircraft safely stowed. As I walked around I kept on seeing signs with the words forbidden but being unable to read the rest of the sign I will never know what the rest of the sign said. I know there have been problems with boy racers using the runway to race their cars. The authorities tried to stop this by putting an earth embankment right across the runway. This caused a problem in 2002 when a Swissair aircraft running low on fuel after trying to land at other airports were closed due to bad weather. The aircraft was directed to land at Werneuchen which it did until it encountered the earth embankment. The aircraft was damaged beyond repair and fortunately no one was seriously hurt. I could not see any obstructions on the runway the day I visited; this was reinforced by encountering a light craft taxiing on the taxi way I was using. I took to grass fairly quickly and let it pass by. The airfield now seems to be used for light industry, flying, farming and a motoring organisation.

• Werneuchen Hotels

0 Hotels in Werneuchen

Werneuchen Restaurants

by alancollins Written Apr 10, 2010

Weesow is about 2kms from Werneuchen. Having missed the bus I walked out there, but there are no pavements and you have to step on to the grass every time a vehicle passes. On the way back I was lucky to get a lift. Much to my surprise I managed to explain where I had been and I was going to get something to eat whilst I waited for the next train. The lady dropped me off at a local Coffee House where I got a coffee and omelette. Fortunately a member of staff spoke excellent English. The omelette which contained cheese, tomatoes and onions accompanied with a salad was delicious and came to 7 euros with a coffee. The atmosphere was pleasant and there was an area for children to sit and play. The lunch made a welcome change from my usual couple of pieces of fruit

Favorite Dish: Omelette

Werneuchen Transportation

by alancollins Updated Nov 21, 2011

There are different ways to get to Werneuchen. I caught the OE25 train from S+U Lichtenberg Bhf to Werneuchen. The trains may look different to the trains you normally see in Berlin but this is because it is operated by ODEG, but as long your Berlin ticket covers B & C zones you do not have to pay any extra. Make such you have a ticket because there is usually a ticket inspector that travels on the trains. The trains are spotless and though they are not very long they come equipped with a toilet.

• Trains

Instant Answers: Werneuchen

Comments

Werneuchen Travel Guide
Map of Werneuchen