Alsfeld Travel Guide

Alsfeld Restaurants

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo
    Check out the potato sack 4 more images

by TomInGermany Updated Jun 27, 2012

The Alsfelder brewery is located in the town of Alsfeld but it does not have a restaurant associated with it. However, if you want to taste its wares you are in luck since almost every restaurant serves their beer (I didn’t check the Irish Pub). You can even get it to go by stopping in the local drinks store (Getränke) or if it is a Sunday the local gas station. Alsfelder brews brews the normal German beers as well as several seasonal ones. I tried their wheat beer from the tap and their Pils from a bottle. The wheat beer went down very smoothly and, although I’m not a Pils man, their Pils was okay.

To get to a tap, my wife and I decided to try out the Kartoffelsack which was recommended by the nice lady at the Information Center in the center of town. Her recommendation was spot on. If you can understand a little German, you will know by their name that the restaurant specializes in potato dishes. My wife got a baked potato dish covered with bacon bits, onions, tomatoes and a huge scoop of sour cream. I went for the potato soup and a heaping plate of fries. Everything was superb; just right for a rainy Saturday.

The town of Alsfeld is well worth a visit. Make sure you go to their website and print out a copy of their walking tour of the town which explains 39 of their historic buildings, almost all of them half-timbered structures. Their Old Rathouse is magnificent and is on all the Alsfelder bottles and their coaster. The town is part of the Fairy Tale Road and there is a Fairy Tale House. They also have a Christmas Market that only lasts for 10 days so make sure you check out the dates. My wife plans on dragging me back there in December. As long as I can drink the beer I won’t mind.

If you are interested in seeing more of my posts on brewery restaurants please check out my Germany travel page.

Favorite Dish: I'm going with the plate of fries.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Alsfeld

Comments

Alsfeld Travel Guide
Map of Alsfeld