Butzbach Travel Guide

  • Town Square in Butzbach
    Town Square in Butzbach
    by Weissdorn
  • Market Square in Gruenberg
    Market Square in Gruenberg
    by Weissdorn
  • Roman Fort
    Roman Fort
    by Weissdorn

Butzbach Things to Do

  • Butzbach Museum

    Open from Tuesday through Friday and on Sundays from 10 a.m. through 12 p.m., and from 2 p.m. through 5 p.m.Open on Saturdays from 2 p.m. through 5 p.m.Closed on Mondays.

    more
  • St. Wendelin's Chapel

    This is the oldest half-timbered church in the State of Hesse (built around 1440 on top of the foundation of an older building, probably dating back to the 13th century). Before the year 1375 the city hospital was located at St. Wendelin's (home for the sick, poor and the old), which was put together out of dozens of old buildings. The chapel,...

    more
  • Former "Frankfurt Court" (Frankfurter...

    Built in 1803 as the first private home outside of the city walls, by Johann Jakob Sarasin, a rich Frankfurt restaurant owner and wine dealer, who opened this building as a guesthouse. Friedrich Ludwig Weidig was held prisoner here in 1833 for seven weeks.

    more
  • Solms Castle

    An interesting building that was built at the height of the late Gothic stone-building period, in 1481, and served as a royal steward’s headquarters. The building was built directly on the city walls. Later it became the city castle for the Dukes of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich. There still is a wonderful Renaissance stairway, built in 1588. Since 1879...

    more
  • Landgrave Castle

    This was once the city residence of the Lords of Falkenstein (approx. 1321-1418), then it became the home of the House of Eppstein-Königstein, the Archbishop of Mainz, and finally a Hessian Landgrave castle. Landgrave Philipp of Hesse-Butzbach (1609-1643) transformed the partially burnt up castle into an opulent residence, which later became the...

    more
  • The Baroque House Weide

    Built in 1725 by the city physics doctor, Dr. Fabricius in Baroque style, a half-timbered house with plastering and numerous plaster figures, and a lovely entry way. This was once the home of Weidig’s student, Christoph Rumpf (1815-1899).

    more
  • The Buff Family House

    This is an example of the few late Gothic, half stone Patrician homes in the city. Portions of the half-timbered construction were altered in the 18th/19th centuries. This was the ancestral home of the Buff Family, who became famous because of Goethe’s acquaintance, Lotte Buff, who was a key figure in the famous novel by Goethe, "The Misery of the...

    more
  • St. Michael's Chapel

    This is the late Gothic former relics (bones) house, with the St. Michael's and St. Catherine's Chapels next to it (built around 1433/35). This is an important stone building with late Gothic frescos (around 1475) of St. Michael. After the reformation, it served as a fire department, a flour weighing house, and a hay storage house, etc. From 1907...

    more
  • Inside St. Mark's Church

    Their famous dean, Gabriel Biel (approx. 1410-1495) was the founder and rector of the University of Tübingen and the last great theologist before the reformation. Landgrave Philipp of Hesse-Butzbach built this royal crypt (in 1622) and donated the organ (in 1614) and the pulpit (in 1617). This church harbors many wonderful cultural artifacts.

    more
  • St. Mark's Church

    This church of today probably emerged from a basilica out of the 13th century, and was rebuilt into a Gothic nave church with three naves and choirs with about the same size, around 1500. The original Gothic bell tower roof top was replaced in 1606 with a Baroque one. The foundation of a Latin School in 1470 was the work of the "the brothers for...

    more
  • City Walls and the Witch’s Tower on...

    Between 1321-1368 a heavily fortified wall surrounding the newly founded city of Butzbach was erected, as part of the massive construction efforts after the city was granted rights (here with typical Schwib arches. Three city gates and several towers gave the well-fortified city additional security. The Witch’s Tower is one of the last remaining...

    more
  • The Weidig House - The Rectory

    The lovely half-timbered house that has been tastefully restored originates from the 18th century. This is the former rectory of the Latin School. Dr. Friedrich Ludwig Weidig (1791-1837), democrat, freedom fighter and martyr for civil freedoms, lived here from 1824-1826. From 1803-1808, 1813 and 1815 Weidig lived in his parents' house at the...

    more
  • Historical Guesthouse "Zur Eule"

    This half-timbered house was restored in 1981 and originates from the first half of the 16th century, and is one of the oldest commercial establishments in the city.

    more
  • Various Half-Timbered Houses

    Beautifully restored set of houses (with very interesting roof attachments). Around 1708 House No. 15 was built by the music instrument maker, Johannes Scherer, the father of the Europe-wide famous music instrument maker and lathe artist, Georg Heinrich Scherer (1703-1778). Scherer wind instruments and flutes made of ivory are considered rare...

    more
  • Old Guesthouse

    Impressive double house with dormer windows (built in 1709 and 1710), with ornate carvings; the house to the left was built by the farrier Johenrich Jung in 1710, the house to the right was built by Georg Karl Happel; which later became the Guesthouse, "To the Golden Lion" (Zum Goldenen Löwen). The ground floor has been drastically changed since...

    more
  • Inside City Hall

    City hall is still the location for the city council today (this picture is showing the council chambers). This beautiful building has a stately half-timbered construction with stone supporting brickwork going back to 1559/60. The large dormer window on the gable front and both pointed bow portals in the ground floor hall were unfortunately removed...

    more
  • City Hall & Marketplace

    The Butzbach City Hall is the center of all city life since the town’s foundation in 1321 and similar to the older village that was founded back in 773. The marketplace with it’s fountain, city hall (built in 1559/60) as well as numerous important half-timbered building make this place one of the most beautiful and well-known plazas in the State of...

    more
  • Old Post Office

    This is a five story double house with very ornate half-timbered construction. To the left is the former hostel, "To the Red Cross" (Zum Roten Kreuz), built before 1600. To the right is the former guesthouse, "To the Golden Knight" (Zum Goldenen Ritter), built in 1636, which has been in possession of the Bender Family since l742, in which the House...

    more
  • City Walls with Defense Walkway

    In the reinforced arches in the walls, sheds were built in the 15th century, and later they were converted to apartments.

    more
  • Feuerbach Court

    This large impressive half-timbered building, with adjuting facings (plastered ceilings inside) out of the 16th century, was the last important home in the former "free farm". In 1439 it became the property of one Henne von Fuerbach. In 1610 it came into possession of the Landgrave Philipp of Hesse-Butzbach, who gave it to his Chancellor,...

    more
  • Joutzsch Baroque House

    Built in 1741 as a Hessian Landgrave revenue office, this is a wonderful impressive three-story baroque building with it’s bulky ornate roof, in which the ground floor was re-modeled in this century, unfortunately. There are ornately carved dragons on the swung flat-faced side of the building. This impressive house, that was built in half-timbered...

    more

Butzbach Hotels

See all 3 Hotels in Butzbach

Butzbach Local Customs

  • Soldier City for Centuries XI

    In 1945 the Landgrave Castle fell into the hands of the American Army, and from 1950 until 1991 the U.S. Army was stationed here.Unfortunately, the entire castle area was off limits to the citizens of Butzbach, because it was U.S. Military terrritory, even though it was located directly in the middle of the city.After the Americans abandoned the...

    more
  • Soldier City for Centuries X

    In 1818 Butzbach became a garnison city and the Landgrave castle became a calvery post for Napoleon's Garde-Chevauxlegers, and the stall building was built. The calvery was replaced by the 1st Bataillon of the Grand Duke of Hessen's Regiment No. 168. From 1920 to 1934 the Hessian National Police Force was stationed here, and from 1935 until the end...

    more
  • Soldier City for Centuries IX

    The city’s image was substantially shaped in the early 19th century by Dr. Friedrich Ludwig Weidig (1791 - 1837), who lived in Butzbach from 1803 to 1834, and who worked here as a teacher from 1812 up until his disciplinary banishment. Around 1813/14 he introduced gymnastics to the town ("the Hessian Father of Gymnastics") and was known as the...

    more

Instant Answers: Butzbach

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

63 travelers online now

Comments

Map of Butzbach

View all Butzbach hotels