Darmstadt Restaurants

by TomInGermany

Most Recent Restaurants in Darmstadt

Braustübl & City Braustübl: Maybe the best local food and beer in town

by Trekki Updated Nov 2, 2013

Roasted pork with beer-sauce and bread dumpling

Braustübl is a lovely and usually quite crowded pub with own brewery, ideal for groups. A lot of different beer tastes are available and good meals; snacks and regular meals, local and Bavarian style. I highly recommend to make a reservation because it is popular, especially during the week (a popular hangout for business groups and friends).

Braustübl has two locations in Darmstadt. The larger one is opposite of the train station and has seating for approximately 100 people in several floors and rooms, including a nice type of winter garden. The other one, called City-Braustübl is smaller and located – as the name suggests - in the city centre in Wilhelminenstrasse (near St. Ludwig Church and the main theatre).
    My photos are of the bigger one, which I visit regularly with friends and former colleagues, because it has the nicer interior and is larger, hence we can squeeze in somewhere in case it is crowded. The city centre's restaurant is similar, albeit smaller with similar excellent dishes :-) They also have a courtyard for the sunny days. And quite recently I tend to come here when I meet with friends because it is more centrally located.

Credit cards are accepted and they also have English menus. These, however, with strange names for several dishes. Beef roulade was translated into beef olive (and my American colleague didn't have a clue what this name meant) and several other strange names. But... this doesn't influence the quality of the dishes. And it is the intention that counts

Update February 27, 2011:
    I should mention that the Braustübl opposite of the train station, opens on Saturdays not before 16:00. We found this out after I wanted to invite my dad for lunch. But luckily the city centre Braustübl is opened all day and evening! Thanks guys and thanks again for another marvellous set of meals. Your Leberknödelsuppe (liver dumpling soup) was as good as always. Dad loved his pork fillet with cream sauce mushrooms and Spätzle (the Swabian "noodle" dish) and I loved my bread dumplings in creamy mushroom sauce (will I ever eat anything else there??).

My most favourite beer is Export beer (a dark beer) and I prefer bacon dumplings in creamy sauce with mushrooms. The Bavarian specialities, salads, soups and meat dishes are also excellent. They have several vegetarian dishes and of course more, if you count meatless salads and soups. Oh my, now that I am writing this, I feel I should visit them soon again.

I should also mention the different beer options. They all come in 0,2 or 0,4 litre glasses and range from Export to Pils to Märzen Dunkel and Zwickel, and of course 0,5 litre Hefeweizen and Kristallweizen. Quite interesting for beer lovers who want to taste before they select: they also serve small trays with 0,1 litre sampling glasses.

Location of Braustübl on Google Maps (the one near the train station),

Location of City Braustübl on Google Maps (the one in the city centre).

© Ingrid D., 2004; several updates since; last update October 2013: wording only.

Favorite Dish: .
    Website Braustüb'l, near train station - English website available.

Website City Braustüb'l - English website available. Free WLAN at City Braustüb'l.

Fürstenbahnhof - CLOSED NOW: Fürstenbahnhof - CLOSED NOW

Darmstadt, F��rstenbahnhof,

Update, February 2011: the restaurant is closed now. I leave the tip but have deleted my review since it might be still listed in guidebooks.
    Don't save or rate anymore.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Cubana: Cocktails - all you can imagine :-)

Mojito (Cubana, Darmstadt)

In my early days in Darmstadt I liked Cubana because it served excellent Mexican/Cuban food in burrito style. But when I was there in summer 2006, I was badly disappointed with the food. They must have changed the chef or their directives or ingredients. Whatever they did, their rellenos were definitely not freshly made but convenience food and tasted almost like “plastic”. My photos are from February 2006, when the food was still good, according to my taste.

The interior is nice, slightly overdone, but then this is the colourful Latino world.
    Since some time they also have tables and seats in the patio, where it is even slightly quieter than inside.

Cubana is still a good place to sample Latino cocktails: they serve all kinds of cocktails; approx. 30 different ones were on their menu. Also, they have a large selection of rum and offer all possible rum cocktails too. As the name suggests, Cuban and other typical Latin American drinks are being served too like Mojito, Pisco Sour etc. However, anytime I was there until summer 2006, their Pisco Sour was not as good as the one I used to drink in Chile. Of course, beer is also on the menu: draft beer and bottled beer, including Corona.

The food: the mentioned rellenos, burritos etc. There is also a choice of pizza and pasta and a large selection of tapas. All comes with salad, as seen in the photos.

Prices were about average for Darmstadt. Rellenos for example were 5-8 Euros. Cocktails, depending of the ingredients, from 6 Euro up to 9 Euro.
    The prices are of summer 2006, and I haven’t been there since. Nevertheless I shall give it a try again. Things might have changed since 2006.

Location of Cubana on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., June 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update October 2013: wording only.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

El Cid: Nice Spanish Tapas Bar (El Cid)

by Trekki Updated Oct 17, 2013

Tomato salad with anchovies and onions

As far as I know, this is the only Tapas Bar in Darmstadt. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated with Spanish type ceramic bowls and posters, a bit dark for my taste though. But then it is also a bar.

They offer only tapas (the Spanish type appetizers), however at a slightly larger size than the tapas I had in Spain so far. Approximately 20 cold and 40 warm tapas are on the menu, plus different types of beer, including San Miguel beer. They also have Spanish wines, by the glass (0,2 l) or the bottle. Fresh bread is being served as a starter, together with olives and a very delicious garlic mayonnaise :-)

When I was there with a friend in 2005 we had mussels marinara, very hot and spicy (5 mussels) for 3,50 Euro, chicken breast in sherry sauce for 3,50 Euro and tomato salad with anchovies and onions for 3,30 Euro.
    It was hard to decide because the selection is ample and each of the dishes sounded good: cold mussels in garlic-vinaigrette or Spanish sausage chorizo, empanadas etc.
    Prices per tapa were between 3 and 3,50 Euro.
    Our beverages were: wheat beer (0,5 l) for 2,60 Euro, San Miguel beer (0,33 l) for 2,00 Euro. German beer (0,33 l) was cheaper than San Miguel;
    Coffee is around 1,60 – 2,50 Euro, depending on the type, soft drinks around 1,60 Euro for 0,3 l.

(Prices and my experience are as of November 2005; I didn't visit this restaurant since then. No website as of October 2013).

Location of El Cid on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., November 2005 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update October 2013: wording only.

Café-Restaurant Mathildenhöhe: Coffee and cake on Mathildenhöhe

Update, September 3, 2013:
    According to the café's website, the restaurant is being closed for renovation from September 1, 2013 until most probably May 2015.
    What a pity.....

If you are walking around the Art Nouveau area of Mathildenhöhe and are hungry at a point in time, I can recommend the restaurant here, Café-Restaurant Mathildenhöhe. It is very elaborately decorated and many people are dressed accordingly. They also serve breakfast and this even at moderate prices (from 2,60 to 8,70 €), lunch with daily changes (for around 7,50 €) and of course coffee and cake.
    End of 2012 I was here with visitors from US who are vegetarians. We found excellent dishes, especially because they had dumplings and mushroom sauce and pumpkin pasta (my photos 1, 3, 4).

In summer the terrace is open, which is a very nice option too. Especially when wisteria and other plants are in full bloom.

Opening hours:
    Tuesdays - Sundays: 10:00 – 19:00, during exhibitions in the art centre until 21:00.
    Opening hours for the summer terrace: Tuesdays - Saturdays: 10:00 – 21:00.

Location of Café-Restaurant “Mathildenhöhe” on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., December 2007 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update October 2013: wording only.

• Museum Visits

Shalimar: Excellent Indian Restaurant

by Trekki Updated Oct 17, 2013

This small restaurant is being run by an Indian-Pakistani family who own another similar restaurant nearby, Lahore Palace. However, Shalimar is my favourite because it is quietly located and has parking space outside. The interior is not overly decorated but simple which gives me the feeling that I can concentrate on eating rather than being distracted from decoration.

They offer all kinds of dishes: tandoori style, mild style, madras style; vegetarian, seafood, lamb, chicken and beef. The lassies are excellent (served either salty, mango or sweet). Usually I have Chicken Vindaloo, several pakoras, raita and nan bread. But quite often I also sample their vegetarian options, like cauliflower, ocra or potatoes.

All in all I didn’t pay more than 18 € for all dishes and beverages (the latter means 2-3 lassie in my case, I just love it).

If you like Indian food, Shalimar should be your first choice in Darmstadt.

They have an English website too.

Opening hours:
    Monday – Sunday: 11:30 - 14:30 and 17:30 – midnight; Saturdays only in the evening: 17:30 - midnight.
    No days off, at least not in the evening.
    Credit cards accepted.

Location of “Shalimar” on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., September 2004 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update October 2013: wording only.

Bayrischer Biergarten Zum Scheinheil'gen: Bavarian beer garden atmosphere

by Trekki Updated Oct 17, 2013

My dad enjoying his beer :-)

Darmstadt has several beer gardens in town but the best is - without doubt - the Bavarian Beer Garden northeast in town. On a huge area there is space for approximately 1300 seating (according to their website). I can confirm that I always found a place to squeeze in, even if it is crowded. That is, in warm weather it is always crowded. During the week it is the meeting place for a lot of business people who gather up here with friends and colleagues after work. During weekends, families come with their kids, and bikers stop here to have their lunch and beer break. It is a very popular place – for many reasons.

The food is excellent, yes, and it is even as true Bavarian as it can be outside of Bavaria. The beer garden has three sections with different food and service.
    First there is the restaurant inside with seating for approx. 60 people. Here “a-la-carte” dishes are served, often game dishes (wild boar and deer).
    Outside is a fenced section (near the entrance to the restaurant) where also “a-la-carte” dishes are served, however the selection is smaller than inside. The majority of the space, however, is for the beer garden itself: self service and a reduced selection of food. But this does not at all take the fun away, because these dishes are typical Bavarian ones like potato and cabbage salad or sauerkraut (2,50 € each), Bavarian Weißwurst (“white” sausage, served boiled, two for 5,00 €), Leberkäs’ with mustard (4,80 €) and Schweinsbraten with dumplings (roast pork, 8,90 €) and much more. The outside works like in Bavaria’s beer gardens: first go to the beverage counter (to the left side), order your drinks or beer, pay and pick up your beverages. Then go to the food counter (right side), order your selection and pay. You will get your dishes mostly immediately. If you have to wait, they usually bring it to your table. What I don't know though is if the Bavarian principle of "bring your Brotzeit" (hearty snacks) is allowed here.

My favourite dish depends on my mood and why and with whom I am there. If it was one of the after work gatherings, I mostly have some small dish like the Obatzda and beer of course, provided I am not here with my car. If I am here with friends or family, I prefer one of the game dishes or in autumn one of the mushroom dishes.

Opening hours:
    During the week daily 11:30 to 14.00 and 17.00 to midnight and from 11:30 to midnight on weekends;
    Outside: during Mai to September daily from 11:00 to 23.00.

Location of Bavarian Beer Garden “Zum Scheinheilgen” on Google Maps

Bedouin: Culinary delights from Eritrea

Bedouin: spinach and couscous

Darmstadt’s Martinsviertel (Martin Quarter) is an area where many students and young families live. Consequently several cafes and small restaurants are located here which are lively, international and good places to meet and gather during lunch breaks, evenings and in general. That’s why we have decided to try out Bedouin on one of our recent girls’ evenings. It was a good choice. The weather was sunny and warm so we could sit outside and I was astonished that it wasn’t as loud as I would have expected it to be, given the location on a major but nevertheless small road (ok, the occasional idiot with deafening car stereo passed). The menu isn’t that extensive but it has something for everyone, provided one knows what is behind couscous and tabouleh. My two colleagues opted for the vegetarian Bedouin Teller (Teller = plate) with three different dishes and couscous (9,60 Euro) while I chose the plate with spinach on couscous (7,50 Euro). It was really delicious, especially since it was made with onions, garlic and cumin. We could have asked for ingera bread instead of fork but... next time. The selection of drinks is larger, especially the several lime-rum-ginger cocktails. We had Bionade (an elderberry lemonade; 2,50 Euro for the bottle which is reasonable compared to other restaurants) and beer.
    Conclusion: we will be back! The only downside is that they are not open during lunchtime. We would be back also for lunch break.

Opening hours: Monday – Saturday from 6 p.m. on, warm dishes until 10 p.m.

Directions:
    From Luisenplatz take street car 7/8 until station “Pallaswiesenstrasse” (2nd after Luisenplatz) and walk into Pallaswiesenstrasse (to your right). It is at the second next corner.

Location of Bedouin on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., April 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.). Update October 2013: wording only.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Libanon: Lebanese delights, very good!

by Trekki Updated Oct 16, 2013

Oh delicious ayran :-)

Early 2011 I have read a review about this restaurant in our local newspaper and immediately a colleague and I decided to try it out during our weekly “girls’ evening”. We both love near-east food and already thoughts of hummus made our mouths watering. And it proved to be so good that we will come much more often.
    We have been here on a cold March evening; the outside tables weren’t available yet. But it must be great when it is warm outside, since the restaurant is located in a rather quiet neighbourhood, no much traffic in the evening. We couldn’t decide from the menu since everything sounded so delicious. So we asked the owner and he recommended the “Meza”, a selection of all delicacies. It is available as meat and vegetarian variance. We opted for the vegetarian one. It took some time but then the owner arrived with several small dishes full with these mouth watering specialities. I didn’t count but it must have been approximately 12-14 little plates. Among others the selection was taboulé, hummus, egg plant cream, okra, falafel and chickpea cream. This all came with the typical pita like bread and it was refilled whenever we needed more, even without us asking. And since I am addicted to any kind of yoghurt drinks, I ordered ayran, two to be precise. Upon suggestion of the waiter he prepared the second one with fresh mint and I liked it even more.
    Our bill came to 32 Euro, which wasn’t much in my opinion. And we will be back.

Update, October 2013:
    We came back several times. The dishes were always as delicious as during our first evening, the hosts as nice and attentive. My only downside to this splendid restaurant is their heating. They don’t have a central heating because the building is old (one of the “quick after-war” buildings for businesses without central heating). They have these movable heaters which they bring immediately to keep their guests warm though.

Directions:
    From Jugendstilbad (Art Nouveau public bath), east of the city centre, walk south into Riedlingerstraße (the small street closest to the baths entrance). It is on the left hand side. Parking is either in front of Jugendstilbad or across the street.

Credit cards accepted, wheelchair accessible, vegetarian meals available.
    Opening hours: daily from 11:30 – 14:30 and from 17:00 – 23:00.

Location of “Libanon” Restaurant on Google Maps

Kartoffelhaus Pelle: Devoted to potatoes

by Trekki Updated Oct 16, 2013

Baked potato with creamy sauce

This restaurant is an excellent choice for anyone who likes potatoes or who prefers vegetarian meals. The menu is full of dishes with potatoes and of course many of them are for vegetarians. In summer they put chairs and tables onto the little square outside of the restaurant. This is especially nice because it is in a not very crowded area of the city, hence not loud and not infested with car fumes.

I was here several times and I really like their potato pancakes (Reibekuchen, Kartoffelpuffer would be the German names). They also serve baked potatoes (in a foil with creamy sauce), potato salad, fried potatoes, potatoes au gratin, potato soup – you name it!

The prices are moderate and often very reasonable given the sizes of the dishes. Last time we had a sheep cheese salad and it was more than enough to feed a team of football players.... Each dish is below 10 Euro. Prices as of March 2011, when I was there the last time.

Luckily they have an English menu: on their website click on “Speisekarte/Menu” and select from the options (soup, salad, potato dishes, etc): a new window will pop up where one can select the English version.

And obviously there are reviews about the restaurant on the German version of Tripadvisor. They have a small sign telling this in the window.

Opening hours:
    Daily from 11:00 – 23:00 (note to self: ideal to drag dad when he comes on a Saturday at lunchtime....)

Directions:
    From Luisenplatz, Darmstadt’s main square, walk towards the castle, turn right at the castle square, walk right hand side past the former city hall (now with restaurant “Ratskeller”), turn off to the right at restaurant “Bockshaut”, and once you are at the little square it is to your left, behind the Italian restaurant.

Location of Kartoffelhaus Pelle on Google Maps

© Ingrid D., March 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.) Update October 2013: wording only.

Rangoli - CLOSED NOW: Rangoli - CLOSED NOW

by Trekki Updated Jan 18, 2013

Rangoli's interior

Update, January 2013: the restaurant is closed since Dec 2012. I leave the tip but have deleted my review since it might be still listed in guidebooks.
    Don't save or rate anymore.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grohe Tavern (Schanke): Great Beer, not so good location

by TomInGermany Updated Jul 25, 2012

I like the candle holder

The Grohe Tavern is just like the bar back in your home town that all the locals hung out in and everyone knew your name. At least that is the feeling I got when I entered the establishment. There are five large tables, a couple of small tables and some seats at the bar. The rafters in the ceiling are wooden and have various things on or hanging from them to include small kegs and a case of beer bottles.
    We went there to try there locally-brewed beers but also to have a nice dinner. We were not disappointed on either endeavor. The seasonal bock beer was delicious and the three different dishes were also very tasty. The menu was only in German but the waiter spoke pretty good English.
    Highly recommend this place but suggest you make reservations if there are more than two of your and you don't want to sit at the bar.

If you are interested in seeing more of my posts on brewery restaurants please check out my Germany travel page.

Favorite Dish: Grandma's schnitzel was massive. You can't go wrong with a dish that has bacon, potatoes and a fried egg piled on top of a hunk of meat.

Darmstadter Ratskeller Hausbrauerei: Good Beer, good location

by TomInGermany Updated Jul 9, 2012

Front of the Ratskeller

I've been to this restaurant on two occasions, one in the middle of summer eating out on the Platz and once in the winter during the Christmas Market season. Both times the food was good, the beer was tasty and the service was excellent. Their food menu is fairly short but all the dishes have been very good. Brauerei is part of their name for a reason and their beer is quite good. During the Christmas season they brew a very tasty Bock beer.

Both times I've been there I had the same waiter who spoke very good English and loved to mess with his customers (or at least liked to mess with me). He was very attentive and our beer glasses did not remain empty for long.

The location of the restaurant is perfect. In the summer you can sit outside and watch everyone hanging out in the platz. In the winter the Christmas market is right out it's front door.

Favorite Dish: I would recommend the goulash dish with a side order of fried potatoes. The goulash contains very tasty meat in a dark gravy. The fried potatoes are awesome! I couldn't stop eating them and they were on my friend's plate.

Braustubl: Excellent Food, Lots of beers to choice from

by TomInGermany Updated Jul 4, 2012

Sample of their Product

This is the 3rd of the three brewery pubs I've been trying to get to. (Found out the hard way that they don't open until 4:00pm on Saturdays - but they open for lunch the rest of the week). While the outside is very plain and is easy to miss, the inside makes up for it. We went on a Thursday with our new VT friend Trekke who loves this place and has also written about it on VT. It was good that we had reservations since it was fairly crowded.
    The various dishes we ordered were all very good. I'm seem to be hooked on Flammkuchen lately and that is what I ordered. This is the first one that was shaped like a pizza you would get in the States. Most are rectangular. Whatever the shape, it tasted great.
    They do have English menus and a wide-range of dishes. They also have a wide-range of beers you can sample. Not sure which one to get, try their sampler plate. You get six different beers in cute little glasses. I would have ordered one but I didn't notice this option until after I ordered by Marzen beer. I'm not a fan of the Darmstadter beers but from the amount of beer being quaffed around me I'm in the minority.

Favorite Dish: Since this was my first time I couldn't say. However, I plan on going back and will let you know.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Braustub'l: Chanterelles to savour

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

Name in lights = I don't have the little dots!

Braustub'l is traditional restaurant with its own brewery. We didn't make a reservation but were quickly shown to a table shared by an other couple. This surprised me as it is not done in the U.K. but a fine example of German efficiency. The menu is in German only but thanks to the help of my friend, the meal was ordered and we had a nice chat with the other couple who both sang Darmstadt's praises. The web site is from the City Centre restaurant of the same name but the dishes are similar.

Favorite Dish: The Rosti Pfifferlinge - a potato cake with creamy sauce and loaded with chanterelles, a wild mushroom known as Queen of the Forrest, served with a fresh green salad was very delicous indeed. The portions are a bit big for my small appitite but I enjoyed what I could comfortably manage. My husband's favourite thing here, as well as the food, was the local Darmstradt pils beer.

Instant Answers: Darmstadt

Comments

Darmstadt Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Darmstadt restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Darmstadt sightseeing.