Eltville Travel Guide

Eltville Things to Do

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Eberbach Monastery - inner courtyard 4 more images

by Trekki Updated Mar 29, 2007

Well, by now you might know my "game" - I try to drag you all away from the known places in Germany and lead you to the little gems.

Eberbach Monastery is quite known by the Germans living close by, but as it is nor UNESCO heritage site, it does not always get attention like Cologne and Berlin by (non-German) travellers.

Well, why should you visit this gem ?

First of all, it is one of the first abbeys of Cistercian Order, which have been founded in the Germany of 12th century. It was even founded by one of the most important and famous Cistercians - Bernhard of Clairvaux.

Second, the abbey funds is quite famous for their vineyards; it is said they are the biggest wine-gowing estate of Germany. Wine auctions are held twice a year, offering old and good wine.

Third, the monastery and the buildings are indeed beautiful, they provide a certain aura of quietness and contemplation. It can get crowded over weekends, but if you walk around anti-clockwise to the tour groups, you can have the rooms and church all for you alone.

And - last but not least - it was setting for the famous movie The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery (1986), and trust me, you will recognize the rooms you see, if watching the movie after your visit there.

And: it is not far away from Frankfurt, just half an hours drive.

If you want to know more about Eberbach Monastery: I have put to gether some info on "Kiedrich", which is the spot closest by.

(Update as of March 29 - as I have moved the description of Eberbach Monastery to Kiedrich, so I only exchanged the link)

• Architecture

Eltville Hotels

Eltville Restaurants

• Bamara's Profile Photo

by Bamara Updated Apr 4, 2011

The "Gutsausschank Gelbes Haus" is a small, but wellknown restaurant next to the castle complex. The offer regional red and white wines, local dishes for reasonable prices.
    They open weekdays at 4 pm, sundays at 11.30 am
    There are 45 seats inside, and 100 seats on the terrasse with winegrabes above you.

Favorite Dish: Riesling white wine, or
    Weinschorle (wine with mineral water)
    Flammkuchen in Oktober from Tue - Thu
    local small dishes

• Castles and Palaces

• Schnitzel (left) and Pork Shanks (right)

by slide_away Updated Jul 3, 2007

It's a very nice pub-like restaurant. There was no english menu, but luckily another customer translated a few options for us. There is a whole page dedicated to different types of schnitzel/sauce combinations! Dinner and drinks cost about 25 euros for 2 people

Favorite Dish: We tried the Schnitzel with Mushroom sauce and the Pork Shanks.
    Both were delicious!! And the servings were really big I couldn't finish mine even though I was starving beforehand.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    My very very delicious dumplings with chantarelles 4 more images

by Trekki Updated Mar 29, 2007

To find this delicious restaurant was more of a coincidence. We walked through Eltville looking for accomodation (as we wanted to visit Eberbach Monastery next morning), but did not find any. We asked several people on the streets, and one couple told us they don’t know a place to sleep but a fantastic place to eat. Our stomachs were happy to hear this, so we decided to satisfy their needs first.
    What a restaurant !! It is called Rosenstübchen (would translate into rose parlour) and its interiour justifies the name – all over decorated with roses, artificial and real ones.
    We sat down in the rear room, as it was a bit more quiet, and our eyes got bigger and bigger when looking at the menu. All kinds of very delicious sounding meals, hard to choose.
    We ended up with bread dumplings in creamy mushroom sauce (Semmelknödel), chantarelles to be precise and Joan had omelet with musrooms, her hubby pork fillet (and you can read that they were satisfied as well on her page).

Favorite Dish: The service was quick, and I really really enjoyed my meal very much. As it might be seen on the photo, they used real fresh chantarelles (and not canned ones), the sauce was yummie as well, and red currant lover I am I ate the decoration as well !

Prices were very reasonable as well, all main courses well under 10 Euro, and the Kir Royal (which we didn’t have, but on the meal photo you can see the price) was only 2 Euro (also hard to find this price for Kir Royal).

Next time, I’ll sit in the entrance room, at the bar maybe, as this room is also very lovely, decorated with old stuff, such as pots and cans in high shelves.

Eltville Transportation

• Outside the Kloster

by slide_away Written Jul 2, 2007

I had the Germany lonely planet guide with me (not sure which edition?) and they said the ONLY way to get to Kloster Eberbach is by a 1 hour hike from Eltville train station. WRONG! There is a bus (5482) that goes straight there from the station. Check out the timetable at:

Type in "Eltville am Rhein Bahnhof" and "Kloster Eberbach" as the destinations.

I did the hike and it was a really boring walk!! Not scenic at all.

Eltville Warnings and Dangers

• Bamara's Profile Photo

by Bamara Written Aug 28, 2003

Eltville is a grown village, they are still reconstructing the old houses and streets around. It`s not easy to find a parking place inside the city.
    If you leave the Autobahn exit Eltville West, after 500 meter turn left and on the left hand you will find a big parking place. You can walk within 10 minutes to the Kurfürstliche Burg at the other side of Eltville. You see, it`s really small :-))

Instant Answers: Eltville

Comments

Eltville Travel Guide
Map of Eltville