Chicago Meatpackers, Frankfurt am Main

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpackers: Across from the stage entrance

by Nemorino Updated Sep 25, 2012

Chicago Meatpackers & Frankfurt Opera building

This is an American bar and restaurant with an unbeatable location, just across from the stage entrance and offices of the Frankfurt Opera -- the NEW Frankfurt Opera, of course, not the old one. In the photo you can also see the big box that holds the stage machinery at the top of the opera house.

So don't be surprised if I suggest meeting here for a bite to eat before we go to the opera. It's not because of the food so much as for the convenient location and friendly ambiance.

Second photo: The decor has an American Midwest Railroad theme, with lots of old railroad signs and artifacts and even a model train that runs around the restaurant up near the ceiling.

Third photo: Heinz (Madschick) and me at the Chicago Meatpackers. Photo by Christine (tini58de). After the meal, the three of us went across the street to the Frankfurt Opera and saw a matinee performance of Mozart's Magic Flute. Have a look at Christine's travelogue 2007: Magic at the Opera.

Favorite Dish: If I were just to give you my own opinion of the food it would sound somewhat lukewarm (the opinion, not the food) since I am not exactly the world's greatest connoisseur of American cuisine even though I come from there, LOL.

Fortunately I had an expert with me recently, namely VT member yooperprof (Chet), who now lives in Marquette, Michigan but originally comes from Kansas City, so he knows about spare ribs, and he says the spare ribs he had here were fine.

After eating here, Chet and I went across the street and saw a performance of the opera Macbeth, not by Verdi but by Ernest Bloch (1880-1959), a Swiss composer who once studied at Dr. Hoch's Conservatory here in Frankfurt. Bloch moved to the United States in 1916. He later became an American citizen and was a professor at the University of California in Berkeley.

• Theater Travel
    • Music

• bcorbitt's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpackers: Sadly one of better choices in Downtown

by bcorbitt Updated Sep 22, 2010

Sadly when walking around downtown this place caught our eye after stopping to see the Eurobank building and the opera. Of all the places we saw that night this was one of the more lively as this is faint praise when I can say if you dropped me in blind folded I would think I was in a theme bar and grill in some middle sized city in the US other than the Germany football playing on the TV.

Normal beer, wine and cocktails and the menu was straight out of an Applebee's. Service was nice and the music and other customers were not so loud that you could not talk to your companions.

The fact that there was only like 20 restaurants to choose from in Frankfurt says why this place though completely cheesy is worth going to if not for food atleast for drinks.

Favorite Dish: did not eat but the beer was good and not too pricey.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpackers: Decent Place with Trains and Food.

by cjg1 Updated Mar 13, 2009

Having fun with my baby

We came here under the recommendation of some German friends. It is not the kind of place I would have walked into on my own but I am glad I did. The food was good. The service although a tad slow due to being so busy was always friendly. It is a pain when 75% of the conversation is in English to find a restaurant but we had a good time here.

Favorite Dish: We both had burgers this night. I had mine with bacon, of course. They were a nice size and the fires were very crispy. The nachos though were the hit. They were honestly quite good.

If you're there before 19:00 (7pm) you can get happy hour rates on your drinks and the mai tais were quite nice.

• superdan12's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpackers: Where the City that works eats!

by superdan12 Written Jul 26, 2008

Chicago meatpackers is a example of a good Steakhouse, they offer different cuisines of meats. It is a family restaurant because they offer a meal for kids. This restaurant is found at the center of Frankfurt, Germany. It is a good eating place especially for those people who are tired and exhausted in their work. Chicago Meatpackers is open 24 hours so you cannot miss this place to dine in.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Chicago Meat Packers: City: American

by antistar Updated Jul 13, 2007

Right on the edge of the bustling Willy-Brandt-Platz, and opposite the iconic euro symbol of the European bank, in the shade of Frankfurt's finest skyscrapers, is a little bit of America called Chicago Meat Packers. Not surprisingly for a restaurant named after America's most famous meat making city, and one that shoves the word "meat" rudely in between the name of a now defunct basketball team, it serves up a whole load of meat. It specialises in big steaks and burgers, but there are other dishes on the menu, including, which is a surprise for any restaurant in Germany let alone a big meat serving one, vegetarian options.

Even more surprising it has a no smoking section, another rarity in German restaurants.

Favorite Dish: The burgers are the best in town: try out the Chili Cheese Burger.

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpacker

by tini58de Written Jan 24, 2007

We enjoyed this place a lot:

the interior is quite unique with all different sorts of train and railway related items, great food (and helpings!!) and friendly service! Plus the location is more than convenient if you want to go to the opera later on - it is just across the street from the New Opera!

Favorite Dish: Do have a look at their menue - I find it quite enjoyable!

Heinz and I had potato dishes - both were on the menue as "starters", but we hardly managed to finish them, but we finally succeeded because they were soooooooooooo good! Heinz' choice was potato halves with chicken and spinach and I had potato halves with sour cream and cheese and ham. As I said before: d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!!

Don had hot pasta, which was not really hot but very enjoyable as well (as he mentioned)!

Beer is served in pitchers as well, which I find sooooooooooo American and sooooooooo nice!! But since we were off to three hours of opera, we only had soft drinks!!!

• Phillylawyer_19107's Profile Photo

Chicago Meatpackers: American burgers in Frankfurt

by Phillylawyer_19107 Written Jan 29, 2004

If you want to catch a glimpse of America in Frankfurt, go to the Chicago Meatpackers. The food is typical American diner food with burgers, steaks, French fries, coleslaw or deserts like pancakes or ice cream (you can find a menu on the web page) – beware of the very large servings!!! The interior is also in American style, as in all the chain restaurants of the Chicago Meatpackers. There are even train tracks right underneath the ceiling, on which a miniature train moves around constantly. There is the usual hubbub of old movie posters and advertising signs on the walls, the decoration surely is plentiful, but I liked it. Service was nice and courteous (we were there on a Saturday afternoon) and the food was delicious. We had burgers which were large and juicy, served with very big French fries. We also had coleslaw which we couldn’t finish as we were too full from the burgers, but the bit we had of the coleslaw was delicious. We first thought the coleslaw was expensive, but you get a very large serving, so you can share it. I’ll definitely go there again, it was just fabulous!

Instant Answers: Frankfurt am Main

Comments

Hotels Near Chicago Meatpackers
4.5 out of 5 stars