Lauterbach Travel Guide

The front of the restaurant
    Their large pizza
    by TomInGermany
    My wheat beer - like the glass

Lauterbach Things to Do

Priceless Alter

by Weissdorn Written Jun 4, 2003

Chateau Hohhaus is the only city palace that once belonged to General George Frederik Riedesel Free Lord of Eisenbach and was built between 1769 and 1773 by George Veit Koch. This baroque palace is a three-winged building, surrounded by a marshall courtyard. In the Roccoco Hall, the town stages events, among other events the regionally well-known Hohhaus concerts. The Hohhaus, whose name means "Hofhaus" or "royal stewart house", used to be a royal administration building, which belonged to a neighbouring principality. Today they have a small museum in the side building to this chateau, which contain among other items, a late Gothic Maria Alter that was made in Lauterbach, which is one of Hesse's sacral masterpiece works. They also have some pretty astounding antique furniture pieces, including the the carved entry hall from 1777, the old town fathers meeting table from 1664 and a city file cabinet from the 17th century, and a speech podium for the mayor from 1743. They also have a lot of Hessian farm stuff to see in the musuem, including costumes the people used to wear, and several displays of how people used to make all kinds of things by hand.

Open from Tuesday - Sunday from: 10.00 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 17.00
    Closed Mondays.

• Museum Visits

Longest half-timbered house in Hesse

by Weissdorn Written Jun 4, 2003

This is the longest half-timbered house in the state of Hesse. You can find it around the corner from the town castle. The house bears the name "Güldenen Esel" or the Golden Ass House.
    This complex half-timbered house used to be a horse-changing station for coaches moving through the Holy Roman Empire and an inn, which is why it's so long (remember this town is crossroads for 3 major historical roads). It was originally built in 1530 along the town walls. They used to brew their own beer here, which ticked of the mayor, who already had a brewery inside the town, and what really miffed him was that it was outside the city walls, so he couldn't charge taxes - yup, free enterprise through the centuries. Later this house was used for the Cent Court. That had nothing to do with making money, but was the old name for "parish". From 1821 the "Golden Ass House" was a post office and a horse changing station again. The city finally bought this house in 1862, where they turned it into a grammer school. Today it houses a music school and the Hohhaus Library, which contains more than 80,000 books. Next to this special library they also have a public library.

• Architecture

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    I lost my sock in Lauterbach...

by Weissdorn Updated Jun 4, 2003

This statue is dedicated to this old folks song:

I lost my sock in Lauterbach,
    Without it I can't go home.
    So I'm gitting m'self back to Lauterbach,
    To git my sock back again.

I lost my heart in Lauterbach,
    Without it I can't live on;
    So I'm gitting m'self back to Lauterbach,
    That gal's got give it back to me.

Daddy, when are you going to give that piece of valley,
    Daddy, when are you going to will me something?
    My gal's getting riper than the wheat,
    I don't wanna be single no more.

My gal's got black-brown eyes,
    She's purdy as a dove, she is,
    When I stand by the window and look at her,
    She looks back friendly at me.

You all can't be happy all the time,
    You all can't be crying all the time.
    Sometimes I git to go out with my girl,
    Sometimes I gotta stay home alone.

Now I have built me a house on top of a snail,
    But that snail's a sneaking off.
    And now my gal's pouting at me,
    'Cause I ain't got no house no more.

• Architecture

Lauterbach Restaurants

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo
    Their sign 4 more images

by TomInGermany Written Dec 28, 2012

Did I get your attention? Lauterbach is a nice town to visit and have some fine half-timbered houses. It also has a statue of a naked boy selling cheese in the basement of its tourist office (which is worth a visit if you are there when they are actually open) and another one in the stream running through the town (see picture). Lauterbach also is home to the Lauterbacher Burgbrauerei which brews a number of beers to include the Lauterbacher and Auerhahn labels. Next to the brewery is the Felsenkeller – their brewery pub – which was my main reason for visiting the town. Sure, we also did some shopping and walked around the Altstadt (Old City) but that was just my excuse to try some local beer right from the tap.

The restaurant pub was okay. It had a small-time feel to it and server was nice even if she didn’t speak any English and got my beer order wrong. Due to an error in translation, my first beer was the Lauterbacher pils which was good if you like a German pils. I’m not a pils lover so I ordered the Lauterbacher Hefeweizen (wheat beer) to drink with my pizza (salami, cheese and mushrooms). This beer had a slight banana taste at first but lost it by the time it was half gone. It also didn’t have a very heavy wheat taste which I kind of missed. Anyway, our experience there was okay but not memorial and I don’t think I need to go back. However, on the way out of town I did stop at the drinks store to pick up a couple of their other beers to try at home.

Favorite Dish: My wife liked their Minestrone soup

• Beer Tasting

Inside the J��gerst��be

by Weissdorn Written Jun 5, 2003

This restaurant was once featured in local television for it's creative and traditional Hessian cusine. The secret to their celebrate sucess is their star cook, Hans Schmidt. Like man of the local country specialities, the middle Germans have rediscovered their roots and have re-discovered grandma's old fashioned "poor folks" recipies, and have added alittle modern originality to this dishes, to make simultaneously familiar and tantilizing.
    The decor in the restaurant is pleasant, simple modern German Land House style, and is aimed at promoting a family atmosphere.
    Interesting to see, if you have time before or after your meal is a peek in the Eulenfang House, where they serve and bake fresh baked goods from the antique wood-burning oven.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant serves two very good beers: Lauterbach Pils and Auerhahn Dark. Enticing is that not only is this beer served at cool temperatures in the exact glasses that make it taste good, they cook with it too, and have a number of specialties such as Pilsner mushroom soup, hop sprout salad, a potatoe and cold-cut stew called Beutelches, dark beer encrusted pork roast, and the delicious list goes on. For those who like to embark on alcohol invention adventures, try the Hopfengeist Parfait - a creamy cocktail made of beer cream liquor and honey.

• Lauterbach Hotels

0 Hotels in Lauterbach

Lauterbach Shopping

Pottery with Traditional Hessian Designs

by Weissdorn Updated Jun 5, 2003

Dippe is what the Hessians call this kind of pottery, which is slang for "pots". Making pottery has a 400 year tradition in Lauterbach, and they are stil keeping up the tradition today, with traditional Hessian pottery works, as well as new creations and even giving visitors to create their own souveniers in a pottery course in the Old Mill or in the pottery workshop.
    You can choose among household wares or decorations, figures and even special scented oil burners.

What to buy: For people that want something very personal, ask if you can paint one of your own beer krugs or a pitcher with an original Hessian design. Töpferei Bauer specialises in pottery day pottery courses.

Lauterbach Local Customs

Contestants for Miss Cow 2001

by Weissdorn Written Jun 4, 2003

Prämienmarkt or Premium Markt - a traditional town festival for showing and auctioning farm livestock. This is a great festival to visit if you have kids, because the local farming community has a fair showing off their horses, cows, poultry, hares, and pigs to be judged for prizes.
    This year's fair is scheduled from June 14th - June 22nd 2003.

• Festivals

Instant Answers: Lauterbach

Comments

Lauterbach Travel Guide
Map of Lauterbach