Lich Travel Guide

  • Things to Do
    by Weissdorn
  • Market Square in Gruenberg
    Market Square in Gruenberg
    by Weissdorn
  • The Obergasse Street with a view of the church
    The Obergasse Street with a view of the...
    by Weissdorn

Lich Things to Do

  • Ober Bessingen

    This area was settled back in the Bronze Age. You can still see the old Germanic graves on "Hässels" Hill. The name of this village (Beizhingen superior) was first mentioned in 1260. The church standing within it's quaint church walls was built around 1500 in the Gothic Period. It used to be the local castle. In 1954 the city fathers discovered a...

    more
  • Nieder Bessingnen

    Artifacts from the Stone Age and Germanic hill graves from the Bronze Age offer proof of very early human settlement in Nieder Bessingen.The community was first mentioned, though, in the 9th century, and called "Bessingestat". The settlement was associated with the army church and the House of Nassau. The church tower is Late Gothic architecture....

    more
  • Muschenheim

    Muschenheim was first mentioned in 774 A.D. in the Lorsch Codex. One of the oldest written documents known to mankind designates Muschenheim as "Place of the Holy Stone", a 4000 to 5000 year old burial ground tablet. There are 40 Germanic hill graves originating from later periods in the surrounding forest. For a period of 2000 years, people have...

    more
  • Langsdorf

    Langsdorf was first mentioned in 771 A.D., when the Lorsch Monastery received 20 acres of farming land in "Lanotorp".The forest in Langsdorf has a Germanic grave, called the "Heidenkippel" which dates back to the La Tène Period, Other signs of early European settlement were found around this area. The church is well worth a visit, which was built...

    more
  • Eberstadt

    Eberstadt was first mentioned in 788 A.D. as a donation to Lorsch Monastery in the Lorsch Codex.The church was built in 1692/93, and the wooden vestibul was built in 1770. Other inscriptions on Eberstadt building go back to the 17th and 18th centuries.The noble house "Pfaffenhofes" (bay window and the door are from 1266) was built in 1698; the...

    more
  • Birklar

    The part of the town known as Birklar was first noted in 764 A.D. in the property lists of Lorsch Monastery.The church was originally the library for Arnsburg Monastery (built in 1755) and was lowered by one story and sent to Birklar to serve as a church in 1819. The building was sent upon the the foundation of another building which was torn down....

    more
  • Bettenhausen

    Bettenhausen was first recorded in 771 A.D. in the Lorsch Codex. The village has a wonderful Baroque church, which was influence by the nearby Arnsburg Monastery. The church has an ornate gallery, a relief plastered ceiling, an ornate pulpit and a marble altar, built in the Years 1747/48. One of the remarkable works of art is the Crown of Death...

    more
  • Arnsburg Monastery

    As a slight side trip, a visit to the Arnsburg Monastery is recommended. The oldest signs of human settlement in Arnsburg were found in excavations in 1961. They found a large urn of grain left over from the bronze age (1200-800 B.C.). Today you can see in the display case in the Bursenbau. When the Romans began to expand their empire towards the...

    more
  • Arnsburg Gates

    In a sort of snowball system they established a chain of around 1500 monasteries within a few centuries throughout Europe, where every subsidiary monastery was controlled by every managing monastery, who kept a close watch on their finances, who were also controlled by the mother monastery through the annual convention in the city of Cîteaux, but...

    more
  • Rathaus

    In 1848 the Rathaus (city hall) was built, which was expanded in 1980 through 1982 with two buildings.

    more
  • Castle Park

    In the middle of a big park, with lots of old trees, you will find the late renaissance castle of the Solms-Hohensolms Lich Dynasty, that was built in 1675 on top of medieval ruins.

    more
  • Textor House - Village Museum

    The Textor House, an impressive half-timbered house, with wooden carvings that was built in 1632, houses the town museum today, where you can see the town’s historic collections. The museum is open for visitors from March until October, on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. and on Sundays from 10:30 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.

    more
  • St. Mary's Church

    From 1509 until 1594, the late gothic St. Mary's Charity Church was built, a jewel in the older part of town. A number of the ornate tombstones, amongst them ones from the famous sculptorer Kuno von Falkensteins and his wife Anna, are examples of Middle Rhine Gothic art.

    more
  • Lich - Tower

    One of the most imposing landmarks is the 48 meter hight, four-story city tower. This is all that’s left from the medieval walls, that were built shorty before 1500. But you can still see traces of the history here, such as the remains of the Roman walls. Furthermore, there are a number of interesting things to see here that makes the city well...

    more
  • Lich - Castle

    The town was founded in the Year 790 A.D., at least that’s what it says in a document about the Carolinian community that was stored in Lorsch Monestary. As part of the inheritence of the Hagen-Münzenberg Dynasty, which erected a castle with a moat in the 12th century, Lich feel into the hands of a particular Werner I. von Falkenstein in 1273. On...

    more

Lich Hotels

See all 3 Hotels in Lich
  • Ambiente

    Hungener Str. 46, Lich, Hesse, 35423, Germany

    Good for: Couples

  • Alte Klostermuehle

    Kloster Arnsburg, 3542, Lich, Hesse, 35423, Germany

    Good for: Business

  • Landhaus Klosterwald

    An der B 488, Lich, Hesse, 35423, Germany

    Satisfaction: Excellent

    Good for: Business

Instant Answers: Lich

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

95 travelers online now

Comments

Lich Travel Guide
Map of Lich

View all Lich hotels