Lorsch Restaurants

Their Entrance
    by TomInGermany
    Schnitzel with a baked cheese sauce
    Their interior

Most Recent Restaurants in Lorsch

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Drayß Back- & Brauhaus: Great Locally Brewed Beer

by TomInGermany Written Feb 3, 2013

Their Entrance

It took me a little over two years but I think I just found one of my favorite brewery restaurants in Germany and, to my surprise, it is only 11 miles from my house and next to an UNESCO World Heritage site. Drayß Back- & Brauhaus is located in the small town of Lorsch which is also home to the Abbey of Lorsch, one of the most renowned monasteries of the Caroligian Empire (according to Wikipedia) and a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1991.

We have now been to the restaurant on two occasions and have thoroughly enjoyed both visits. The servers are nice, the food is delicious and the beer excellent. As for the beer: on our first visit, which was a Saturday lunch, I started off with their dark bock beer and thought it was pretty good even though I’m not a big fan of bock beers. Then I tried their wheat beer and fell in love with the place. It had a nice full flavor and went don’t smoothly. On our second trip, dinner on a Friday evening with friends, I tried their Helles beer which was good (again, I’m not a big Helles drinker) and then switched back to their wheat beer. My wife ordered wine which they purchase from the Bergstrasse wine region near our home.

Now for the food: they have a nice selection of traditional German dishes to include the thin-crust pizza – Flammkuchen. All the food we ordered was delicious and reasonably priced. The one dish I will mention was their apple strudel with ice cream. Two of our company who were visiting Germany for the first time ordered this dish and were extremely happy with their choice of dessert. The presentation was artfully done (I liked the ice cream scoop sitting on top of a slice of apple) and taste was fantastic (according to them).

So if you are interested in seeing some history and enjoying a great German meal (or just some great German beer) plan a trip to Lorsch and spend some time enjoying the town and Drayß. As for the comment about the scaffolding in my title, we have been to see the Lorsch Abbey on three different occasions and it is always covered in scaffolding. Hopefully we will actually get to see it before we leave in two and half years.

Favorite Dish: If you are hungry go for their Grilled Plate. It has three types of meat (not counting the bacon wrapped around the green beans) and roasted potatoes.

Lorscher Grillteller
    Kleines Rumpsteak, Schweinefilet und Hähnchenbrust, Kräuterbutter mit grünen Bohnen und Röstkartoffeln

• Beer Tasting

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Cafe am Kloster: Just a coffee or perhaps some cake

by scottishvisitor Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Cloister Cafe

Sitting outside at Cafe am Kloster on a sunny autumn day with great views of the pretty Market Place and the stunning King's Gate, sipping a coffee. What better way to relax, have a chat and still admire the beauty that is Lorsch.

Favorite Dish: We had stopped at a bakery in Darmstadt & purchased some munchies before coming to Lorsch, so we were not hungry. We had a lovely frothy latte served with little gingerbread biscuits, a quick caffeine shot and we were ready to gol If you are hungry and have a sweet tooth try their homemade cakes, even the descriptions had my mouth watering.

Instant Answers: Lorsch

Comments

Lorsch Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lorsch restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lorsch sightseeing.