Michelstadt Restaurants

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Michelstadter Rathausbrau: Brewing and Dining Under One Roof

by TomInGermany Updated Aug 5, 2012

Look for the sign

Their motto says it all: "Brewing and dining experience under one roof". This restaurant pub brews several different beers to include a Pils, Dunkel and Marzen (these are ones I tasted) as well as serves excellent food. While most of the menu was your typical German fare there was at least one item that was a first for me in Germany - Ostrich steaks. Three of my fellow hikers had them and they all thought the dish was excellent. Personally, I had the spicy sausages with fried potatoes (I love fried potatoes and the spicy sausages really goes well with beer).

The restaurant itself was rather nice. They only open the ground floor dining area during the winter but there is an upstairs eating area as well as a beer garden. You can look through a large window to view the open vats of fermenting beer. They have English menus and all the waitresses I talked to spoke some English. There was one interesting moment when I asked the waitress where they got the Ostrich meat from (thinking there was a farm in the area that raised them). I'm not sure if she understood the question or this is really true but she gave me a queer look and said, "Africa".

If you are interested in seeing more of my posts on German brewery restaurants please check out my Germany travel page.

Favorite Dish: I would have to say the Ostrich steak since how often can you say you ate Ostrich in Germany. I thought it was a little gamey but I guess that is how it is supposed to taste. At least it didn't taste like chicken.

• Beer Tasting

• chicabonita's Profile Photo

Weinkeller: Authentic Atmosphare

by chicabonita Updated Dec 15, 2002

Down in an old cellar is this nice pub. You can choose between about 20 different wines. The most wines are from near wineries in Germany but also foreign wines.
    The food is traditional-style. The plate with traditional sausage and cheese is supposed for two persons but we were four and had enough with it. Many habitués were there this evening. At one table someone played his gitarre and the other one sung. It was fantastic.

Instant Answers: Michelstadt

Comments

Michelstadt Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Michelstadt restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Michelstadt sightseeing.