Seeheim-Jugenheim Travel Guide

Trail marker on the way to Tannenberg
    View along the trail
    Felsenmeer Boulders

Seeheim-Jugenheim Transportation

by Gili_S Updated Jan 4, 2004

We get to the vineyard by driving, you really need to drive slow as once we miss the entry and we have to drive back.

Seeheim-Jugenheim Shopping

by Gili_S Updated Jan 4, 2004

This is a vineyard, they sell wine, I bought few Riesling wines, I could not buy too many as I cannot take them all the way back to Finland.

What to buy: Riesling

What to pay: Was only 4 Euro a bottle. And you cannot get for this price any as good in the store.

by Gili_S Written Jan 4, 2004

I also bought small amount of Schnaps, it was very special kind of, it had the aroma taste of the graps it had been made of.

• Seeheim-Jugenheim Hotels

0 Hotels in Seeheim-Jugenheim

Seeheim-Jugenheim Off The Beaten Path

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo
    Felsenmeer Boulders 2 more images

by TomInGermany Written Nov 6, 2011

For those that love to get out into the woods, the hike from Seeheim to Felsenmeer (a geologic place of interest) will give you a good workout and plenty of scenery. I went on a beautiful Saturday in November and was just one of hundreds of others walking the Odenwald trails.

You can start at a parking area on the road up to Lufthansa Training & Conference Center off of Ober-Beerbacher Strasse. While there are a number of routes you can take to get Felsenmeer the easiest one to remember is to follow the "yellow cross" trail toward Ober Beerbach. This trail will eventually connect with the "red line trail" and if you hang a right you can follow it all the way to Felsenmeer. Along the way you will see the ruins of Tannenberg castle as well as beautiful views of the Odenwald hills and dales.

When you arrive at the top of Felsenmeer you can stop at Ada's Buka Resaurant, an African-themed restaurant which serves good German food. Then, you can hike all the way down the other side of the hill to the Felsenmeer Information Center which has a small cafe attached to it. The Information Center explains the history of Felsenmeer from how the geological formation came to be there, the myths about it (something to do with Giants) and how the Romans quarried the rock there (and left some behind). While the displays are in German there are English pamphlets you can buy. They also sell hiking maps of the area.

If you buy the map of this area you can head back a different way. I personally didn't want to climb back up the hill so I took the #4 trail around to the right, then jumped onto the #5 trail then to the #7 trail which finally put me back on the "red line" trail. tI was a lot longer and still had some put pretty steep parts but it was all new to me and that is what it is all about.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Castles and Palaces

by Gili_S Updated Jan 4, 2004

At the vineyard I was the guest of Martin and his lovely wife, they both could communicate in English as well which was nice for me and I was invited to taste the wines from different graps and years. It was just wonderful and in 10 minutes later I was over the driving permission limits. :)
    For dessert Martin gave me to try his own Schnaps, which was excellent as well.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Seeheim-Jugenheim? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Seeheim-Jugenheim

Comments

Seeheim-Jugenheim Travel Guide
Map of Seeheim-Jugenheim