Seligenstadt Things to Do

• Nice sign of Sudhaus - note the old tiles :-)
    Nice sign of Sudhaus - note the old...
    by Trekki
    by MD2nd
    by MD2nd

Most Recent Things to Do in Seligenstadt

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Oh heavenly beer – brewery tour

by Trekki Updated Aug 12, 2013

Oh beer, oh beer variety, Glaabs Brewery

Ah yes, Glaab’s brewery. I was really happy that I joined our group to learn about beer. Glaabs is one of the oldest brewery in this part of Germany and they are very proud to have already the fifth generation of brewers at hand, although the kid is five years (if I remember correctly). The brewery was founded in 1744, that’s why their newest beer is called 1744. Up to now, they offer twelve sorts of beer, and all come in the special bottles with swing top cap. I read somewhere that these are called beugel bottles, which is maybe originating in the German word “Bügel-Flasche”. However, Bügel = Buegel, so there might have been a slight mess in the sequence of ue-eu. But then that’s philosophy and does not take the fun in drinking away. Glaabs is also the cradle of the dark brown liquid I grew up with as a kid, the famous Malzbier. (and yes, it was invented somewhere in Bavaria, but by Mr. Glaabs of this brewery). I felt thrown back in times when I realized this during the guided tour.
    We had an excellent guide, Hedi Schmitt, originally from Franconia but a beer lover who lives in Seligenstadt now. She knew so much about beer that one day I hope she will meet Richie and Doreen and exchange all knowledge about the best breweries. That would take hours or days though.
    The tour took us through the whole brewery, from the Sudhaus down to the fermenting tanks with the hydrometers to determine the proper density and to the storage and logistic parts. Our highlight was of course the testing, deep down in the cellars of the brewery where we all could taste Zwickel Beer, where I learned where the term Zwickel comes from: it is the spigot (?) or tap where the beer is taken from the tanks.
    (I still have to find out how much the fee for our tour was. Since my colleague has organised it and we had been a big group, it was most probably different to the usual guided tours).
    In general, tours are offered Wednesdays 6-8 p.m., Thursdays 7-9 p.m., Fridays 10-12 a.m. The prices for these are 7,50 € per person including beer tasting and a small present.

Richie: thanks for your help with the correct beer terms :-) I gladly owe you a beer (= forever carved in stone here, erm... carved into VT, lol)

© Ingrid D., March 2010, (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Beer Tasting

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Guided tour through town of Seligenstadt

by MD2nd Updated Jan 12, 2011

Town of Seligenstadt

An excursion through the town of Seligenstadt is a journey into history: An encounter with Roman legionairies, with mediaeval traders on their way to the Frankfurt Trade Fair, with skilled monks and art-loving abbots, with native artisans, wealthy merchants and poor fishermen and with emperors hunting in the dark forests. There are special guided tours for visitors and citizens through the historic town. Information on historical tours is available in the Tourist Info Office on the Market Square where tours for individuals and groups can be booked.

Page below provids with great - in English written!! - details.

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

Einhard-Basilika

by MD2nd Updated Jan 2, 2011

Einhard-Basilika

Einhard-Basilika with Saints Marcellinus’s and Peter’s relics. Since 1925 it has borne the honorary title of minor basilica, bestowed by Pope Pius XI. Although the building was heavily modified over the centuries, this is nonetheless one of the most impressive basilicas with a basic Carolingian structure north of the Alps.

• Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Seligenstadt

Comments

Seligenstadt Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Seligenstadt things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Seligenstadt sightseeing.