Ostseebad Prerow Travel Guide

Our compartment!
    by sabsi

Ostseebad Prerow Things to Do

• Beach

So the main point of Prerow is the beach - and it seems to go on for miles. Undeveloped, mainly, a complete get away spot. But its the Baltic - not sure you'd get me in there in the height of summer - never mind December!

• Local museum/art gallery/souvenir shop

This was closed when we were there (between Xmas and New Year) so well out of season - so can't really say much about it - except the style is of architecture is great and very typical.

• The beach

In Prerow there is a long wide white beach at the Baltic sea. It's beautiful. On one side of the beach there's the sea, on the other side there are the typical wild forests of the Darß peninsula.I read somewhere that Prerow's beach is Germany's most beautiful beach.

Ostseebad Prerow Hotels

Ostseebad Prerow Restaurants

• Hot drinks, cold feet

by sabsi Updated Nov 28, 2002

When you walk along the beach in Prerow and you go toward the pier there is a little pedestrian zone leading away from the beach. It's full of little shops that sell ugly ties, warm wollen hats and hot wine! Of course we took a break here to warm our hands for a while!

There's also a few fish restaurants here that we didn't try but I bet they are quite nice. Prices are "East-Prices" .. everything is so much cheaper here than at home!

Favorite Dish: Hot wine!

Ostseebad Prerow Transportation

• Where the heck is the Darß?

If you are wondering where the Darß is (as I did before I went here honestly!), here's a map I found on www.ostseebad-prerow.de.

• Drive along typical streets

To find a tree at the Darß which is straight is nearly impossible. They are all grown into one direction because of the heavy winds up here. I think it looks really beautiful. But ask the trees how they feel ;-) These trees are called "Windflüchter" which means they are fleeing from the wind. What an appropriate name!

• Not by train

Even though we stayed in an old railway station you can't get to Prerow by train. The railway station hasn't been used for trains since 1945 when the Russians took the tracks away.

Ostseebad Prerow Shopping

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Written Dec 22, 2002

The local postoffice is combined with a souvenir shop. Next to it there is a "Barnstein"-shop. Opposite the street you find the main grocery store.

What to buy: Barnstein

Ostseebad Prerow What to Pack

• Noses at the beach

by sabsi Updated Nov 28, 2002

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: When walking along the beach in winter you should always have a tissue with you. Otherwise your runny nose will kill (or at least annoy) you!

Photo Equipment: A digital camera so that you can take hundreds of pictures of old trains like I did ;-)

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you stay in a train in the middle of nowhere bring a flash light. It get's really dark at night. Which is really nice - I have never seen so many stars like in that night!

Ostseebad Prerow Off The Beaten Path

• Kunst auf Schienen

by sabsi Updated Nov 28, 2002

The railway station is a cultural centre in summer. There are concerts and exhibitions here. The whole story is called Kunst auf Schienen (Art on Tracks).

Ostseebad Prerow Favorites

• Sonja's birthday cake!

by sabsi Written Nov 4, 2002

Fondest memory: My friend Sonja invited all her friends for a weekend in an old railway station at the Baltic Sea. We had a great time there with lots of nice dinners, good laughs, windy walks at the beach and funny nights in an old train.

Instant Answers: Ostseebad Prerow

Comments

Explore Deeper into Ostseebad Prerow
The pier