Rügen Restaurants

by King_Golo

Most Recent Restaurants in Rügen

Hofcafé: A lovely cafe in Altenkirchen

by King_Golo Written Aug 15, 2014

Directly across the street from Altenkirchen's brick Gothic church is a rather nondescript gate to a courtyard. We were looking for a drink to get refreshed after a long bike ride on a very humid day, so we entered the courtyard - and were surprised what a nice cafe was expecting us. Well, it's not only a cafe - Hofcafé also has steaks or grilled fish on offer - but as we came during the late afternoon, this was what described it best. The courtyard is surrounded by the cafe itself and a wall covered with blooming flowers. We immediately liked the atmosphere which was both inviting and relaxing. Friendly staff and low prices were the icing on the cake.

Favorite Dish: While the steaks surely looked inviting, we only had drinks here. But according to other sources, Hofcafé's food is good as well.

Hofcaf��'s courtyard

La Vita Bella: Rügen's best Italian restaurant

by King_Golo Written Aug 14, 2014

To be honest: we didn't try another Italian restaurant on Rügen. No matter what we would have been served, it could only have been disappointing after our lunch at La Vita Bella in Sassnitz! It was the best Italian food I've had in years - a perfect salad and an incredibly yummy bruschetta as starters followed by pasta with a chanterelle and parmesan sauce which made my taste buds go directly to heaven. If there is one culinary reason to go to Rügen, then it's this restaurant. We ended up there by pure coincidence - all the other restaurants were already closed at 2.30pm and this one looked and sounded inviting. We were served by a very friendly waiter and enjoyed every single bite of the food. You might be sceptic now that I've used up all my superlatives, but scepticism is unnecessary. Try it out yourself, and you'll find as well that "la vita e bella"!

Favorite Dish: see above - but I suppose that all the other dishes would have been similarly good

• Wine Tasting

Andernorts auf Rügen: Good food in an off-the-beaten-path location

by King_Golo Written Aug 14, 2014

If you manage to find the tiny village of Rappin, hidden somewhere in the fields of Rügen's heartland, you've reached one of the island's most interesting restaurants: Andernorts auf Rügen. The name says it all - you are now "elsewhere on Rügen". Located on the minuscule marketplace of Rappin, the restaurant comes up with a very inventive and interesting cuisine. Locally sourced produce are important, as are new combinations. I had the very tasty, but quite bitter pasta with a turkey, cream, vegetable and white wine sauce, and you could immediately see how much effort had gone into the food. Moreover, the landlady was very friendly and the prices were below average. In case it's raining and you can't sit outside, try out their rustic interior. You won't be disappointed either.

Favorite Dish: Both my wife's "chicken scalloped with cheese and peach" and my pasta were very tasty.

Enjoying a break at Andernorts auf R��gen

Dünenhaus: Dinner with a view

by King_Golo Written Aug 14, 2014

Imagine sitting on a terrace near the beach together with your loved one, watching the setting sun turning the sea into shimmering gold... Pure romance! Add to this some mouth-watering dishes, such as cod or medaillons of pork, a glass of the local specialty seabuckthorn juice and friendly waiters, and you've got your Dünenhaus experience.
    This restaurant is located in the village of Juliusruh at the northern end of the Schaabe beach. We visited it on our last evening and found it very good. Apart from the food, it's mostly the atmosphere that makes a visit quite special. The view is incredible and particularly beautiful at sunset.

Favorite Dish: My wife chose cod which was superb, I had the medaillons of pork which were similarly great.

• hundertmorgen's Profile Photo

Strandhalle Binz: The favourite

by hundertmorgen Updated Apr 4, 2011

Since more than 100 years the "Strandhalle” (“beach hall") is located at the well known promenade of Binz. In their eventful history it was one of the first restaurants directly on the Binzer beach, later also a dining room and even cinema. Now, at last, it is again what it always wanted to be: a restaurant. The surprising, nostalgically equipment, a friendly service and, first of all, the ambitious kitchen of Toni Münsterteicher have cared for the fact, that from the initial "secret tip" it quickly became one of the first addresses in the Binzer gastronomy.

The guest expects in the “beach hall”, selfsmoked fish, house-baked bread, imaginative desserts or noble “Obstbrand” of the island Ummanz - here everything is a little different from what one has expected - never mind the excessive portions.

Favorite Dish: Ostseedorsch unter Kartoffelkruste auf Wittower-Kohl mit Basilikumsauce
    (Baltic Sea cod under potato crust on Wittower cabbage with basilica sauce)

Strandhalle
    • Wine Tasting

Mayday, Breege: Resaurant at habour

by elgin99 Written Jun 17, 2006

Would you like to sit in a good reaturant directly at harbour of Bay of Breege? Then you should visit that fishing village. All recommended, the meals, the service, and the nice surrounding. Have a dinner or a beer after your sailing turn! Prost!

• Sailing and Boating

Palace Spyker: Sublime, luxurious hotel and restaurant

by elgin99 Updated Jun 13, 2006

In the palace Spyker, and that is a wonderful ambiente and surrounding! The restaurant has a unique cuisine and inside it is comfortable and high recommended.
    I think pictures and website show what I mean.
    Who want not live or eat in such a historical ambiente of a real palace?

The outside places are also very nice, because you have a very good service, too, and a view to great park.

outside, entrance of hotel and garden corner inside one inside, bar detail in wall of restaurant another view of garden restaurant corner
    • Castles and Palaces

Alte Brennerei, Jagdschloss Granitz: In The Middle Ages

by elgin99 Updated Jun 13, 2006

That is really a special event. On historic ground, in unique arches of Jagdschloss (hunting seat) Granitz near Binz, there is the restaurant Alte Brennerei. An ancient style, delicious dinners and also the service ladies are in historic outfit. Very pretty!

It starts with an exceptionally menu, the special tableware. The tables are antique (or made as like), the rooms are really great. And then comes the dinner.....

What is waiting for you, its not seen until you step inside. You will be well surprised, I promise.

Favorite Dish: Can´t eat all, but seams as if all would get favourites (lol).
    My "salad of a hunter" was very good, and soooo big!

Miss Service from Middle Ages :)) My salad Menu The painting at wall Restaurant view
    • Castles and Palaces

Hofcafé, Altenkirchen: Simple and with rustical ambiente, but well

by elgin99 Written Jun 13, 2006

At first a special little restaurant because of the idea by the owners. In the outside of the restaurant, backside, with original decoration. Owner told that they want reconstruct very old parts of an old restaurant and stables.
    The next special was been seafood, really very fresh and tasty.
    And as the third, their cats and a very lovely dog. :))

All together with the service and the adorable talks it was a nice stay.

Favorite Dish: The complete seafood plate.

view to the courtyard cafe from main road the cat
    • Water Sports

Seabridge Sellin

by german_eagle Written Jun 9, 2005

The seabridge is one of Rügen's major attractions. I found it nice for a walk, but the restaurant/cafe was a disappointment.

The interior is new, but in "old" style - somehow it looks like a fake. The waitress was unfriendly and slow. As far as I heard her talks with a co-worker she had private problems with her friend. Too bad letting this affect her work!

Prices were somewhat too high IMO.

The restaurant/cafe is run by the four star Cliff Hotel in Sellin. I'd rather not stay there.

Favorite Dish: I had a piece of strawberry cake and black tea. The cake was la-la and the tea was very good.

Inside the restaurant/cafe
    • Architecture

(Travel Charme) Kurhaus Binz

by german_eagle Written Jun 9, 2005

It was a rainy day and we needed a place where we could warm up and dry our clothes. Occasionally we stumbled into this (five star) hotel. While the Kurhaus itself is a Belle Epoque building the lobby is located in a modern annex - a roof of glass makes it look like a huge winter garden. The ambience was a bit snobby and "cold" (stiff), but the service was excellent and the cake yummy.

Btw, I also like "people watching" :-)

Favorite Dish: I had a huge piece of strawberry cake and a Black (Darjeeling) tea. Both excellent. You need to go to a small neighbouring room where the cake is on display and where you choose it. The waiter brings the cake.

Caf�� in the Lobby

Travel Charme Hotel Sellin

by german_eagle Updated Jun 9, 2005

When we walked by this hotel the first evening I noticed they had a buffet ... too appealing and we decided we had to check this out later!

We had our farewell dinner in this restaurant. The service was very attentive and friendly. Interior modern, very elegant. We had a table right by the large window overlooking the sea - just wonderful.

Favorite Dish: One of my friends chose the flunder with roasted potatoes (a bargain for 7.90 Euro). The rest opted for the big buffet - it was almost too much :-) but soooo tasty. They had Italian antipasti, all sorts of salad, fruits, vegetables, a variety of smoked fish, a salad of shrimps with mandarin oranges and aioli (was my favourite), but also meat (which I did not check out), ravioli filled with spinach, roasted potatoes, rice etc. - and amazing desserts! Tiramisu was excellent, a sort of (white)mousse (cannot exactly remember) with a blueberry sauce was just great.

all this for only 18 Euro ... We also had a surprisingly good house wine (Chardonnay) for a few Euro.

All in all it was a great experience - I would go back for dinner in a heartbeat.

View of the dining hall

Restaurant in the Hotel Waldfrieden

by german_eagle Written Jun 8, 2005

Staying in this hotel we also had a meal (dinner) in their restaurant. We took a table on the terrace overlooking the main street (which was interesting :-)). Service was attentive and quick, food quite good but nothing special.

Favorite Dish: I had (pork) steak with roasted potatoes and a local beer (Lübzer). It was surprisingly good at a reasonable price.

a Steak

• Tonttuliina's Profile Photo

Fishing boat at harbour: Fish boats in Sassnitz harbour

by Tonttuliina Written Jul 19, 2013

Instead of restaurants, we chose to dine by the fishing boats. A fish plate cost just a few euros, and I got to taste several different fishes. A bit too salty for me, but good.

Instant Answers: Rügen

Comments

Rügen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rügen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rügen sightseeing.