Usedom Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Usedom

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Drive carefully: Otters crossing

by christine.j Updated Jun 26, 2008

When driving on B111 you see signs warning people of otters crossing.

I would have loved to see one, but these signs were the only clue that the European otter exists on the island.An old fisherman had told my daughter that in all his life on Usedom he had only seen them once, very early in the morning.Still, be careful when driving there at night.

I tried to find out more about the otters in the tourist information, but the people there didn't even know what I was talking about. Considering the expensive protection schemes for these animals elsewhere in Germany, I found this indifference remarkable.

The tourist information seem to be putting the stress on Usedom's beaches and forget about the many other things this island offers.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Not all that glitters is amber

by christine.j Written Jun 26, 2008

The Baltic Sea is where amber is found. However, not all yellow pieces that can be found on the beach are amber. Left-over phosphor from bombs in WWII is regularly found on Usedom and looks like amber. When you put it in your pocket, it starts burning!

The authorities on Usedom have put up signpost telling visitors about it and warning them. I didn't think it happened very often, but read that there have been several accidents in the last few years on Usedom alone. 60 years in saltwater doesn't damage phosphor, so it's best to be careful.

I didn't need to be, as I didn't find anything looking like amber.

You can find amber in the many stores, but I seriously doubt that all is the real stuff. Quite a lot of it is amber-looking plastic, I suppose, especially when it's just two or three Euro.

Instant Answers: Usedom

Comments

Usedom Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Usedom warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Usedom sightseeing.