Aurich has two protestant churches belonging to different confessions, both designed by the same architect and built within two decades in the early 19th century.
The Calvinist church is smaller than the Lutheran neighbour, but 20 years older. It was built in 1812-1814. The round dome of the neoclassical building follows the example of the Pantheon in Rome, which was a popular antique model for churches in that time. From the outside the palace-like building with the temple porch looks more like a public building than a church.
The church is usually closed but you can enter the vestibule and see it through the glass door.
Aurich has two protestant churches of different confession, one Lutheran and one Calvinist, next to each other, both designed by the same architect and built within two decades.
The Lutheran church which has kept the name of the old pre-reformation parish church, St Lamberti, is a neoclassical oblong hall built in 1833-1835. The much older steeple is not connected to the church building but separate, it is standing among the row of houses facing the main street.
The church's treasure is the medieval altar, dated Antwerpen around 1510-1515, which originally came from a nearby monastery and was transported to Aurich in 1529. The carvings and paintings tell the life of Jesus with the crucification in the centre.
Aurich's harbour is tiny. The town is situated inland and only smaller boats can pass the canals. In wet Ostfriesland the waterways have always been an important means of transportation. The water is calm, calm enough to be covered in a green carpet of waterlens.
Benches under the trees along the 'quays' invite to sit down, relax and watch the ducks.
Hoheberger Weg 192
Good for: Couples