Cloppenburg Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cloppenburg

• Dorfkrug Cloppenburg: Typical German Fare

by Mariajoy Updated Oct 31, 2007

inside the restaurant

Right. Let's talk about the restaurant.

Decor was typical old dark timbered German style, Open fire, cobbled floor, perfectly befitting the location and setting. Also, very typical for German establishments, we were asked to join a table with others - no problem there, they seemed nice enough, so did their dog, something I find a little strange about German restaurants and shops is that they allow dogs in them. Again, no problem, it was small and clean and sat quietly on a chair at the table.

The waiting staff were almost entirely all mature, older men in typical costume, all very professional, and experienced, except for one young girl, who seemed harassed and nervous. The restaurant was large and busy, with several rooms to serve they were all rushed off their feet which is probably why they took FOREVER to serve us!

Now, in my experience, Germans are friendly and polite but the staff here seemed to choose to ignore us. At one point my friend overheard the male waiters talking in a group and one of them said "We have a couple of English in today". Eventually one of them came and took our order.

While we were waiting the, girl served some customers their meal and dropped the entire dish of sausages, potatoes and vegetables down the woman's jacket and onto the floor, she was obviously distressed and couldn't apologise enough to the customer. Another woman appeared to help her clean it up - very difficult on a floor made from thousands of very small cobblestones! Perhaps they should have let one of the dogs clean it up - it would have been easier and quicker! Anyway, the woman went off with the waitress to clean up her jacket and they gave her some kind of reimbursement for dry-cleaning.

At this point the head waiter, who had ignored us the whole time, came over to our table and demanded to know "DID YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED?" Well, yes, they are sitting right next to us so it would have been difficult NOT to see it. I didn't understand why he asked this, but he seemed satisfied with the answer and walked away.

Favorite Dish: the menu is all in German and I had to work out which foods didn't contain any meat - quite difficult to find in a German restaurant - but I eventually ordered some potato soup with dark bread and "Griebenschmalz" - forgetting that this kind of butter is actually Lard - or animal fat so I couldn't eat it... there was some rye bread that had no butter on it so i just had that.

For pudding I ordered some Stollen with Landbutter but it was too much so I saved it for the train ride later that day. My friend had a baked apple with cinnamon.

It was delicious and filling and very typically German and eventually the waiter allowed us to catch his eye and we paid the bill. It wasn't expensive but we had to wait an awful long time to get any service here.

On leaving there was no cheerful goodbye from any of the staff - just a glare from the headwaiter. I don't know what his problem was.

I have no photos of the food - it was just bread and soup afterall - and I didn't feel comfortable taking photos in here.

• Architecture

• ringleader's Profile Photo

Dorfkrug: Elegant and Historical Surroundings

by ringleader Updated Sep 25, 2006

a feast

Our family was treated to one of the best meals we had while in Germany at this restaurant by our German family in Cloppenburg. We had white asparagus with glorious hollandaise sauce!

The Dorfkrug, which is operated by Ute and Adi Roehr, is nestled in one of the largest buildings on the property of the historical Musemsdorf in Cloppenburg. The walk through the park-like grounds of the museum is a nice introduction to the restaurant. (See my tip on the Things to Do for the Cloppenburg Museumsdorf.)

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the only dish we had so far - White Asparagus with Hollandaise. MMMMM!

I'm estimating the price below, as we didn't pay for our meals. We were taken there and treated to lunch by our dear relatives. If you do go to the restaurant, it is a short walk through the park to the quaint shopping area and the clothing store on the Muehlenstrasse (Muhlenstrasse)... the Berssenbruegge (Berssenbrugge) Clothing Store. It's worth a stroll!

• Trains
    • Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Cloppenburg

Comments

Cloppenburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cloppenburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cloppenburg sightseeing.